It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
(female)

shannoncarr1975 HB User
What should I expect?

Now that I am diagnosed as having Graves and are going to start taking the medications? Are the medications for Graves safe? Are they at all addicting? Will they make me tired? I start back to college next monday and I can't be a zombie. I am also going to start the beta blockers. Safe to take? My pulse rate was only 102 to 104. Doesn't seem that high to me! I don't want to start taking them till I get some advice from you guys really. I am a medicine phobic person because my mom was a addict to alcohol and I am afraid to become an addict to anything.. So some thoughts will be great! Thanks.

Shannon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
(female)

RMB HB User
Smile Re: What should I expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannoncarr1975 View Post
Now that I am diagnosed as having Graves and are going to start taking the medications? Are the medications for Graves safe? Are they at all addicting? Will they make me tired? I start back to college next monday and I can't be a zombie. I am also going to start the beta blockers. Safe to take? My pulse rate was only 102 to 104. Doesn't seem that high to me! I don't want to start taking them till I get some advice from you guys really. I am a medicine phobic person because my mom was a addict to alcohol and I am afraid to become an addict to anything.. So some thoughts will be great! Thanks.

Shannon
I don't think you need to worry about becoming addicted to the meds. What medication will you be taking? You mentioned a beta blocker...I was hyperT prior to surgery and I took a beta blocker for awhile. It worked so well for me. My pulse rate was very similar to yours. The beta blocker brought the pulse rate right down. They helped me not to feel so anxious and charged up. I never felt like a zombie....and I tend to feel the drowsiness from medication easily.

You should probably give the meds a try before you get to college that way you will not have that to worry about too!!
Best wishes...
Rhonda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
(female)

shannoncarr1975 HB User
Re: What should I expect?

I am also prescribed Methimazole 10 mg.

Closed Thread