It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
(male)

Helopilot52 HB User
New HypoT - Need Help and Encouragement

Hello…. I am a 52 year old man living in Seattle. I haven been miserable for months, having strange symptoms for the last 6++ months. Headaches, heart palpitations (high heart rates), bad jitters/anxiety, upper arm weakness, weakness in my thighs, brain fog, short term memory issues, problems with my eye’s focusing, very emotional, sleep disturbances, etc. I recently visited the Tachoma Clinic, where I was dx with HypoT.

I have never had real health issues before, at least not like this….!!!! I’m in a constant state of bad jitters/anxiety. The Doc. has put me on a topical form of Armour - 0.25Ml AM/PM (0.5ML total)

Quite frankly, I’m looking to other HypoT “vets” for help and encouragement. The sleep disturbances, 24/7 anxiety/jitters and brain fog are kicking my butt…..

How did you “vets” cope with this? After just 6 months of this (that’s how long before getting a Doc. to figure out what’s going on), I was just about ready to just out a window or go nuts!!!!!!!!!!!! The Doc. Also gave me a Beta-Block and Ambient (sp?) to cope with the jitters/anxiety and help me sleep. He say’s that it will take weeks to get me on an even keel again, but after 6 months of this, I’m already freaked out. What can I expect for a recovery period? Will this takes weeks, months or years. Please some one tell me this will get resolved. I’d sure like to hear from you. This feels like my entire life is on hold. It affects my work and family big time. My wife and daughter have been very supportive but I have stressed them out now as well and in many ways they can’t understand entirely what I’m going through.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: New HypoT - Need Help and Encouragement

Hey Helopilot! Welcome to this fabulous board! Mine has been a different road, as I was blindsided with the news of thyroid cancer back in March. I, however, have now had a taste of what COMPLETE "hypoland" feels like, as I had to be completely hypo in prep for a radioactive iodine treatment.

Just wanted to offer you some encouragement that you will begin to feel better. I will let other true "Hypo vets" share their more vast experience, but know that there are many here who relate to what you're going through.

Hang in there!!

Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

Cassandra36 HB User

Ok! Whew I know how you feel! I have six children and I am having a very hard time coping with anything , when it used to come naturally. I am driving my family insane too. I am not happy with accepting the medicine for the rest of my life, but I hate feeling like this anymore I want to jump off a bridge it seems like I am falling apart. Thank for commenting and letting me know I am not alone. Between family and doctors I feel alone and they talk to me like I am crazy, I do not want anti depressants I want to fix what is causing the problem. I am nervous I do not know where this low grade fever keeps coming from and the soarness in my neck? I did find some other forums where this was the case for some others too. I am scared for them to run more tests I dont want them telling me I have something like cancer, I am just scared hoping someone else has the same symptoms and can lead me in the right direction. Are there anythings that you have done that have helped yet? I had tried cod liver oil the other day and it actually took the inflamation down in my neck and my other symptoms were relieved too. I have not tried it again yet, I just got to wondering about the fat intake mine was very low before I started researching on health. I seem to be craving tons of protien and fats. Oh I also wanted to mention that I did not have any brain fog the day I took the cod liver oil. Let me know if what research you have done or tried.

Thanks Cassandra

Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
(male)

Helopilot52 HB User

Thanks for the feedback TC08. How long did it take you to get basck in the grove? Was it a real trial and error situation or a more direct approach?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
(male)

Helopilot52 HB User

I felt I had to get to the bottom of what was going on. This came on in February of this year. Looking back, I can see where I had issues for some time, but they cam to a head the week in Feb.

Can I recommend a naturopathic doctor, Dr Jared Zeff whose practice is in Vancouver, WA.

Helopilot52

Last edited by moderator2; 08-13-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
(female)

beth67 HB User

Helopilot, Have you seen an endocrinologist or just a regular Dr.. Also have you been checked for Hashimotos thyroiditis or did they do the regular thyroid tests. I felt the way you did for a couple of years with dr's. acting like I was crazy and wanting to pat me on the head and give me Prozac which I never took. Found a good nurse practitioner who finally palpitated my thyroid which was enlarged and did the Hashimotos test which was positive and found an endocrinologist that did a biopsy on a nodule on my thyroid which was cancerous and had a total thyroidectomy with ratiation treatment. Did'nt feel better for a least a month after radiation and getting on synthroid. You might want to see if there might be something else going on with the thyroid. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
(male)

Helopilot52 HB User

Hello Beth. I have been to a endo and he was the one that told me my thyroid was OK based on the TSH only.... Could not get him to consider the free T3/T4. He clearly was more interested in diabietics in his practice and was very "old school" Still feeling messed-up, I went to a ND and she did the TSH and free T3/T4 and tested anti-bodies. No Anti-bodies and my TSH=1.37. T4=1 and T3=271. She also felt I was OK besides all the symptoms. I ended up going to the Tachoma Clinic for a second opinion and it was there that the Doc. quickly pointed out the hypoT. The Tachoma Doc. said that 50% of his hypoT patients had "normal" TSH/T3/T4 but would have flaming hypoT symptoms. I had a 24 hour urine analysis done and will see him Sep. 1 for follow-up. He started me on Armour at the first appointment.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

"Topical" Armour? As in "smeared on the skin"? Armour is not manufactured in that form. And if there were, I doubt it would be very effective. It just wouldn't deliver enough hormone to the bloodstream to do much good. Why not just take a small dose from a tablet?

That could explain why you've seen little improvement within 6 months of treatment. Most people feel at least some improvement within 3 months of conventional treatment. My dosage adjustment period - of Armour tablets - took 9 months. At the end of that, I was significantly better. By 1 year, I felt my old self.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-14-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
(male)

Helopilot52 HB User

Midwest, I asked the same question on topical Armor. According to the Doc. topic application gets into the blood stream faster then then pills, which must pass through the intest first. I also confirmed that the topical solution is Armour....

It's a bit funny, but they added lavendor to the topical solution because you can smell like a barn yard.

I just started the hormone replacement Friday.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Armour is most definitely not made in any form but tablets. Now... If this doctor is grinding them up and putting them into some sort of ointment, that's a whole other thing. Armour does have a "packing house" smell, so you may have Armour; but it didn't come in that form from Forest Laboratories, and that isn't an approved way to administer it.

I have to tell you honestly, you won't find many people taking thyroid hormone the way you are. A websearch doesn't even return any hits for "transdermal thyroid hormone". Millions - me included - take Armour by mouth every day, and the vast majority will tell you that it works just fine passing through the intestines. When taken on an empty stomach, up to 80% gets absorbed.

There is no benefit to delivering T4/T3 to the bloodstream with "speed", because they aren't used immediately, like say, aspirin is. Thyroid hormone levels build cumulatively, and the body naturally is supposed to store most of it, especially the T4, until it's needed by the cells.

Gotta say... Your doc's approach is unconventional to say the least. If it doesn't work - and there's a good chance it isn't going to - find yourself an MD or DO who will prescribe Armour tablets.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #11
(male)

Helopilot52 HB User

midwest, thanks for the infromation. I just took another look at the perscription and it said "Armour Thyroid Cream" on it. It came from a "compounding pharmacy - Key Pharmacy - here in Kent, Washington. The Tahoma Clinic is well know nationally for dealing with hormone issues and people from around the world come to the clinic, which is why I went to them, to cut to the chase. At any rate, I've just stated treatment and time will tell. I googled thyroid cream and see you can get it at Amazon. At any rate, how long did it take you before you got feeling better and how did you cope during the recovery time. I'm suffering from heart palpatations, headaches, dizzy, insomnia, tremors and big time agitation.

Last edited by Helopilot52; 08-14-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are no active thyroid hormone products allowed by law to be sold over-the-counter in the US. Any such preparation must have the active T4 and T3 removed. So... I'm not sure what that stuff is that Amazon sells, but it isn't Armour.

No point in debating the merit of the clinic that you're patronizing. I'll just say I have heavy reservations about a place that advocates topical thyroid hormone.

As I said above, it took 9 months for my MD and me to find my optimal dose. Then it took about 3 months after that for all my symptoms to resolve. Depending on how deep in the hole they are when treatment starts, most people feel at least some positive difference within 1-3 months. It isn't a fast process, but then. They didn't suffer the effects of low thyroid overnight, so it can't be fixed overnight.

I didn't have the usual hypothyroid symptoms. I wasn't fatigued, hadn't gained weight (although I couldn't lose any with concerted diet and exercise), didn't lose hair. What got my attention was heaviness in my chest that couldn't be ignored. After a cardiac workup proved it wasn't that, I remembered my mother was hypoT. After digging around the internet, I figured that explained the chest pressure and the niggling little symptoms I'd had for a long time but chose to ignore. Then I set about getting a diagnosis, which I didn't get from my then-primary doc. I had to self-refer to an endo to get that. Then I had to see my current homeopathic MD to get Armour and successful treatment. (See? I'm not as against alternative treatments as you might have inferred... even though I'm very skeptical by nature.)

In short, I wasn't devastatingly ill from my low thyroid, but I couldn't allow that chest heaviness to go on. It would've had to be investigated in the ER each time, which would've been a very costly proposition, to say the least.

Wishing you a speedy result... Hope you'll give us periodic updates on your progress!

Closed Thread