It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

Cassandra36 HB User
Skinny and Hypothyroid craving Fat anyone else have this??????

I am have been diagnosed with hypothyroid and I am underweight, I am constantly hungry for protien and fats, I eat and then 30 minutes to an hour I am starving again??? I still do not gain weight. Anyone else have this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
(female)

m. m. HB User
Re: Skinny and Hypothyroid craving Fat anyone else have this??????

Hi Cassandra36. Before I was diagnosed and started Armour I was underweight and craved red meat ~ prime rib to be exact. I ate it all the time. But I didn't really have much of an appetite otherwise. Are you primary or secondary hypothyroid? I am secondary hypothyroid and I know it can present itself a bit differently from primary hypothyroidism. I also had low Ferritin and often times wondered if this wasn't driving my appetite for red meat (for the iron).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

Cassandra36 HB User

They did not tell me anything as far as primary or secondary. She did say she thought my adrenals were exhausted and that is why I am burning fat. I have six children and the youngest is 3 and in the past 3 years she has had 5 brain surgeries. I am scared for them to do anymore testing I am afraid of what they may find???? I guess I cannot be the only one to be so scared.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

My doctor believes that the adrenals should always be checked out prior to medicating for any thyroid issues. He feels they go hand in hand. He also believes in seeing whether a patient has malabsorbtion issues as a lot of thyroid patients seem to have difficulty in the iron and vitamin D department and i'm sure various people have had other forms of malabsorbtion too.

I too found it difficult to raise my ferretin and vitamin D levels and couldn't retain iodine.

As for feeling hungry all the time......boy do i know that feeling well I used to "out-eat" the guys at work and i'm not over weight and most people think i could do with adding on some weight. I used to think i had a superfast metabolism. I could eat a massive lunch and then 15 mins later i could eye off somebody elses lunch at work and could eat theirs too. I was like a bottomless pit and people would tease me saying that i must have worms.

Prior to being medicated for my thyroid, my doctor did a stool analysis test and it came up that i'm not digesting protein and therefore lacked protein. This was due to insufficient pancreatic enzymes for protein digestion. Once i began taking prescription enzymes my massive hunger stopped. The other problem which cleared up was stomach discomfort. I'd feel bloated even if i just ate one sandwich for lunch and a piece of fruit. I'd wake up in the morning and my first thought used to be 'food'. I was nonstop thinking of food. Now i'm "normal" when it comes to food and don't feel as though i'm dying of hunger after eating half an hour before. Apparently this now means my system is getting the nutrients it needs, whereas before it was more or less going in one end and out the other.

My doctor has me on isolate whey protein to kick start my metabolism in the morning as we found out my metabolic rate is actually slow. I was shocked!! The whey protein will add necessary protein to my diet. My hair shedding has improved too and you need a decent amount of protein and for it to be digested correctly for the benefit of your hair, skin and nails, not to mention other areas of the body which need adequate protein levels.

I also notice if i add a semi hardboiled egg to my lunch or a handful of a mix of brazil nuts, cashews, almonds or walnuts that i dont feel as hungry afterwards. They are quite tasty too and contain healthy oils which are good for your cholesterol and also brazil nuts contain selenium which is good for your thyroid.

Closed Thread