It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
(male)

Marty84 HB User
Could thyroid problems really be my problem

I have been depressed for at least the last 6 years or so. I have been to numerous medical doctors trying 10 or so antidepressants. I also had my thyroid checked thru a blood test by one of them. This showed up normal apparently. I finally decided to pursue my health elsewhere and began treatment with a naturopathic physician. For two years now I have been treated with a method well used in Europe known as psychosomatic energetics. At this point however, I have not experienced relief from my symptoms for any consistent period of time. Recently my naturopath had me keep my temperature for two weeks and this apparently showed a dysfunctional thyroid. (my body temps were fairly lower than normal). I am also noticing that my hair has been thinning for quite some time now and I am having trouble with mental processes such as memory. I am also always quite fatiqued most of the time. I am completely sick of feeling like this and often have suicidal thoughts. My ND has put my on something called Bio thy which contains Iodine, L-tyrosine, and selenium among a few other ingredients. HAs anyone else had a similar experience. What advice can you offer me? I have only been on this new thyroid suppplement for a few days but haven't experienced any relief yet.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Could thyroid problems really be my problem

First, you can't trust that the original thyroid testing was complete, or that the doctor interpreted it the right way. If it was only a TSH test, it wasn't adequate to tell the whole story. If the range on the test was the "old" one that tops out at around 5.5, and if the MD believed that any level within that too-broad range was normal, he would be wrong. You still could've been hypo then, but the MD wouldn't have recognized it.

Your thyroid supplement contains the raw ingredients the gland uses to make hormone. However, an ailing thyroid often can't make use of those raw ingredients in a functional way. If the supplement is going to work, it will take longer than a couple of weeks. It first has to increase the amount of hormone the gland is making to the level your body would naturally make with a healthy gland. Depending on how low you were in T4/T3 in the first place, that will take weeks to months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

tuscansam6 HB User
Re: Could thyroid problems really be my problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty84 View Post
I have been depressed for at least the last 6 years or so. I have been to numerous medical doctors trying 10 or so antidepressants. I also had my thyroid checked thru a blood test by one of them. This showed up normal apparently. I finally decided to pursue my health elsewhere and began treatment with a naturopathic physician. For two years now I have been treated with a method well used in Europe known as psychosomatic energetics. At this point however, I have not experienced relief from my symptoms for any consistent period of time. Recently my naturopath had me keep my temperature for two weeks and this apparently showed a dysfunctional thyroid. (my body temps were fairly lower than normal). I am also noticing that my hair has been thinning for quite some time now and I am having trouble with mental processes such as memory. I am also always quite fatiqued most of the time. I am completely sick of feeling like this and often have suicidal thoughts. My ND has put my on something called Bio thy which contains Iodine, L-tyrosine, and selenium among a few other ingredients. HAs anyone else had a similar experience. What advice can you offer me? I have only been on this new thyroid suppplement for a few days but haven't experienced any relief yet.
Interesting, I too have experienced much of the same symptoms that you are having. I also had the blood levels taken for the thyroid, and they too came out within normal ranges. I have no sex drive whatsoever! I don't even think about it! I've also noticed too that my body temp is a little lower than the standard98.6...it's always like 97 or something which didn't seem to set off an alarm with my doctor.
Finally after 2 yrs of complaining about my voice changing and difficulty with swallowing certain meds and foods, he decided to schedule an ultrasound...and voila! Nodules on the thyroid. Why don't they ever listen to us, for God's sake, it is our body afterall, and who knows it better.

After this procedure is done...[needle biopsy] I will be looking for another doctor perhaps even a Natural Doctor.

Ask whoever you're seeing now to schedule you for an ultrasound of the thyroid. Best to you.

Closed Thread