It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

Helper51 HB User
Sense of Smell

Has anyone lost their ability to smell? My endo said that this is a side effect of Hashi's and she said that she has a patient that also lost their sense of taste. How horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Although some of the diet foods I eat would probably be much more inviting that way)

Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
(male)

tootal2 HB User
Re: Sense of Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helper51 View Post
Has anyone lost their ability to smell? My endo said that this is a side effect of Hashi's and she said that she has a patient that also lost their sense of taste. How horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Although some of the diet foods I eat would probably be much more inviting that way)
I have lost my sense of taste before. The taste of food is one of the first things i notice after i started on synthroid. Food tasted better

I can smell things now that i could not smell before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

tuscansam6 HB User

I never knew that! I'm newly diagnosed, so there will be a lot of things that I will be learning about the function or malfunction of the thyroid.
Did your doctor say if your sense of smell would return at a later time? I hope so..that must be awful.
Wishing you the best.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i've experienced some of the more unusual symptoms of hypo hashi's, but sense of smell/taste was not one of them. as if all the other symptoms were not bad enough -not being able to taste food!!?? that would really be a bummer.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

I noticed I lost mine more when I did the RAI treatment for graves. Especially my sense of smell. It has really gotten bad and I ALWAYS had a good sense of smell. I can actually tell if someone is smoking a cigarette in the car in front of me just by the smell. LOL. I know crazy but it's true... Ok well I must admit it is usually IF they have their window down and I have mine down and they pull up to a light or something. I can right away smell the smoke..

Closed Thread