It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
How Does Armour-type Med Work

Hi,

I won't go into my long tale of thyroid issues, but after years on Armour with no problem, then going off due to heart palpitations, I was place on Synthroid which was terrible. The endo added Cytomel which helped some, but hard to regulate with spikes and anxiety, heart palps, etc.

I am seeing a new doctor who works to regulate all the hormones. Found out my adrenals are overworking, etc. Anyway, I am trying Naturethroid which I understand is the same as Armour. I didn't want to try Armour again due to not knowing exactly what is going on with the production of it right now.

My question is this. The doctor start me on 60 on Aug 5th for a week and told me to call her. I still didn't feel any better - very fatigued, rather "off" - lightheaded in a way - just not good. Anyway, she now has me taking 60 in the A. M. and 30 in the P. M. for 4 days. If no heart palps then she wants me to try 60 A. M. and 60 P. M. and call her. Is this type of medication cumulative into your system and builds up? I know T3 has a short life, but not sure if anyone can explain how it all works and when I might be feeling better. I know I am sensitive to T3 from my experience with Cytomel. I don't think the T3 in the Armour type meds works as quickly as Cytomel and the fast reaction - but after taking my whole dose in the morning for 40 years with no problems - splitting it is new for me.

I am guessing I need to give it several weeks once I increase the dosage before calling the doctor unless I have a problem.

Thanks,
Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: How Does Armour-type Med Work

i had a similar question earlier this week and not sure of the answer myself, but i hope someone will answer you.

i believe the t4 builds up slowly, and takes a course of a few weeks to be at full strength in the system (?). t3 as you said is fast acting and short-lived, but i'm not sure how short. judging from splitting the dose in a.m. and p.m., that suggests to me that the life of t3 is 12 hours or less. (?)

i'm just trying to piece this together, between what others have thought and your post, but its an educated guess at best. hopefully more will respond here will solid answers.

i've had no luck with synthetics either, and i'm going on armour next week. good luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi Scoot,

That makes sense what you said - perhaps someone else will post anything that would be different -but I don't think so. How long have you been on synthetics? Wow - I felt awful and mostly was on the coach or in bed until the endo added Cytomel - but as I said - that isn't easy either. I hope things work out for you - keep me posted and I will do the same.

Liz

Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

hi again liz

i've been on synthetics for 3 years now. its unbelievable when i think how long it has been. first they started me on 75mcg, which i had an extreme hyper response to, dropped to 12.5mcg, with extreeeemly slow increments back up to 75mcg, which was recent and seemed to be giving me hyper symptoms again, but i haven't felt good on any dose. i'd have little bits of time here and there where i would feel okay, but most of the time i'm either tired or dizzy or depressed, stiff and sore, gaining weight all along.

it has been awful - so many months of waiting to feel better, wanting to get back to living my life, and unable to yet because of idiot doctors. i'm so annoyed!! i didn't try any t3 synthetics -just too nervous about it at this point, so i'll try armour and hope to heavens that it is the 'cure' for me. i dont know what i'll do if it isnt.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Scoot,

Boy do I know how you feel. I feel like I have no life. It has been 8 months for me and seems like forever - three years - oh, my - it is so hard to keep going at times - always hoping for the best. I have read books and been on message boards and have learned a lot. I was on Armour for many years with no problems as I told you. I don't think synthetics work for me, so I am praying that something will work. I don't feel well right now again...has been up and down and many of my feelings are the same as what you describe. Also depression is setting in as it is so frustrating and I definitely can feel for you and your frustrations. Please let me know how it goes for sure and I will too. I pray you will feel better and we can both get our lives back.

Liz

Old 08-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i hear ya liz. we're in the same boat. it is so hard to keep going, and with this disease you really have to be a strong advocate for yourself, which is very hard when not feeling well. i dont know why the docs dont have a clue! i'm going on the armour through a naturopath. i've given up on endos. it seems they become endos so they can treat diabetes and know nothing about thyroid disease. there should be a thyroid specialty unto itself, i think.

i hope the naturethyroid works for you. if armour worked for you before then i'll bet any dessicated natural thyroid will.

these message boards have helped me a great deal too, and i've done a lot of reading. it all gets muddled in my head though, between the frustration and fatigue!

you take care! i know we can get on top of this if we persevere!!!

hugs
scoot

Old 08-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi again Scoot,

Yes, we are in the same boat. Interesting, when I started having my problems after all those years I was seeing my M. D. He finally didn't know what to do, so he changed me to Synthroid. I had no idea how bad that would be, but had such heart palpitations with the Armour (no idea why) - that I agreed. Then things went from bad to worse. When that didn't agree with me, my MD said I should see an endocrinologist. I did and I was already on Synthyroid - and I think he only works with that and is totally against Armour or anything like that. He did add the Cytomel (T3) when I still felt bad after several months. Torture!!! The Cytomel did get me out of bed - but I probably didn't give it a real chance - 2 months - and it is pretty spiky and hard on your system because of that. You take it - within a few hours you feel it - and then it wears off and you have to take more and I never could get it not to make me feel shaky, nervous, anxious, and a bit heart racy. On recommendation of a friend I am seeing a woman holistic type MD - who works with a lot of different hormone issues, etc. She is great and I really like her. I was supposed to go to the endo Aug 20th for 3 months check, but I called and cancelled and don't know if I will go back because I don't want to go on Synthroid again if I can help it.

Let me know how it goes,
Liz

Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

what a nightmare, liz. that cytomel sounds awful. i was too scared to try it cuz i've heard things like that. i hope i'm not being naive in thinking that armour t3 will somehow be easier, more natural, on the system since it is indeed derived from a natural source.

it is so awful being hypo, but being overmedicated and having the racy heart and nerves and anxiety is no picnic either.

i'm glad you found the holistic md. i think they -overall- have a better rep of listening to their patients, and avoiding meds unless entirely necessary.

i also had booked an appt with a new endo - one in the city in hopes that she'd have more of a clue, but when i called their office to ask if she prescribed armour, they said she did not. to me that is a black mark against them and i wont be going there.

i wonder if you were having palps on the armour because you needed a small decrease? are you starting out on a lower dose of the dessicated thyroid than you were on before with the armour?

Last edited by scoot; 08-14-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi Scoot,

The Cytomel did make me feel better - but it is really hard to take and get regulated. The holistic doctor I am seeing now said that too - that it has spikes and makes it hard. She also mentioned time-released T3 as an option - you have to get that from a compounding pharmacy - and she works with one - so that can always be an option for me if this doesn't work. Of course then you have to have the T4 and I don't know if that is synthetic or what. Haven't gotten there yet.

When I was on the Armour and had the heart palpitations, they lowered my dose from 120 mg (2 grains) down to 90 and then 75 and I still had them. So, I am not sure if my body rejected it or what. That wouldn't happen to you. It was weird - a bad batch - who knows? However, with my sensitivity to T3 now - I think it was my body. That is from the experience with Cytomel and even now with what I am trying. We are experimenting on a split dose and will see what happens. I tried to take the whole thing this morning as after three days I still didn't notice a difference. But with the whole dose this morning, not split, my heart was beating much faster today until tonight when the T3 wears off. Did you have the heart palpitations with Synthroid? When I was just on Synthroid alone 50 mcg, 75 mcg and 88 mcg I absolutely did nothing but lie on the couch and bed for two months - I kid you not. Only adding T3 - which I suspect my body wasn't converting the T4 to T3 - was I able to get up and go out at all and most of the time I was "flying".

Let's keep in touch and what day did you say you were getting the Armour? Endos mostly don't believe in it.

Best,
Liz

Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Scoot- forgot to answer your one question - yes I am on a lower dose as a start to what I was on Armour when I was taken off that in March 2008. This has been going on since Dec 2007....

Liz

Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

liz

i just recently started getting palps on levoxyl, 5 weeks after an increase. i hate that feeling! for a while before the palps i was having other symptoms that were making me suspicious - twitchy muscles, higher resting heart rate, etc. i thought maybe i was just acclimating to the dose, and was waiting for things to get better. once the palps started, i said forget this. i cant tolerate it.

i hope what you are trying now will work for you. do you think you do better when you split the dose? it kinda sounds like it.

i'm getting the armour sometime next week, hopefully early in the week. i'll keep you posted.

thanks
scoot

Last edited by scoot; 08-15-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User

Hi Scoot,

Seems like the doctors are recommending splitting the dose these days. I took it for many years and took it all at once with no problems. I tried that yesterday and it gave me palps - so have to re-group and go back to splitting. I think that as I have gotten older- the heart can't handle the T3 - so we will see what happens. Still feeling really yucky to say the least. Kinda like I have the flu all the time - have to force myself to do anything - tired and just depressed.

Keep me posted when you get the Armour and if the doctor has you on split dose and how much.

Best,
Liz

Closed Thread