It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
(male)

mudkme83 HB User
Hypothyroid and Anxiety

Hello all I am new here and searching for many answers.

First off. I was finally diagnosed with a low-thyroid about 3 months ago. Levo-thyroid 25mcg made me feel like crap. Dizzy, out of it, drugged up feeling. All the time. After 6 weeks of suffering I got my labs back and I was at a tsh of 4.0. Starting was 6.6. My doctor said my thyroid is now normal. Which as we all know isnt. And then I stopped taking the stuff because I hated the way it made me feel. I started on Armour thyroid about 5 weeks ago. For once I finally started to feel better right away. I only take 30 MCG. It seemed to help alot with my anxiety for about a month. Then pow, it stopped. I started to get dry eyes, anxiety was full blown again. So now my doctor has me start on Lexapro, to help with these anxietys. 5mg at night . Which Ive only taken one dose. Just started it. Does anyone know why the Armour worked so great and then stopped for me? And also if the anti- depressent the doctor put me on will affect my adrenal test temporarey. Because I dont know if im going to keep taking it, and I dont want it to screw with those specialized test.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Hypothyroid and Anxiety

i'm wondering why your doc didn't increase your armour dose a tweak to see if that would help. if your anxiety is thyroid-related, which it has been before, which was temporarily stopped with the introduction of armour, then lexapro isnt what you need.

it seems from what i've read here, and from personal experience, when symptoms come back, it means we need a bump up in dosage of our thyroid meds.

i'm going to be starting armour after a 3 yr period of synthetics, so i'm glad to hear that it helped you. i hope you and your doc can come to an agreement as to what is needed. i'd wager you need a higher armour dose until you reach the optimal dose for YOU. i dont blame you for not wanting to take an anti-depressant. if you tried a higher dose of armour and didnt feel better in a month or so, then you'd know to try a different course of action.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
(male)

mudkme83 HB User

Thanks for the reply. Ya the only reason im taking the Lexopro is becuase the anxiety is so bad. I dont like it though. It just doesnt feel natural. It works a liitle though. And ya they did jump me from 15 to 30 on Armour. No results for my anxiety yet. But I still have to say it is the best thyroid drug out their. I just have bad symtoms.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Hypothyroid and Anxiety

15 to 30 mg's of Armour is a tiny dose. Most people need around 3 grains (180 mg's) to feel optimized. Your symptoms are back because you're NOT getting enough med. I'm UNDERmedicated on 2 grains (120 mg's) of Armour. My anxiety & moodiness are UP because of it , , ,

your Doctor needs to test FREE T3 & T4's to get a better picture for Thyroid. Also ferritin & B12 can REALLY effect how TIRED we are, so have those testedtoo

Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
(male)

mudkme83 HB User

what kind of dose do you think I would need to be normal with a 6.6 TSH starting level on armour.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Hypothyroid and Anxiety

don't know sorry - - really depends on your body & sensitivity to the med

Closed Thread