It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

kcf71 HB User
** UPDATE ** on thyroid scan

From my previous post I wrote that I was having the thyroid and complete body scan yesterday and today. Well, the results are.......

1) the cancer has NOT spread anywhere other than they thyroid so that is GREAT news, and...

2) there is quite a bit of thyroid tissue left from the surgery due to the large size of the goiter I had removed. There was cancer still in that tissue (which was not a surprise to anyone), but it is going to be wiped out when I have my RAI treatment. I'm meeting with the radiologist tomorrow to discuss how much RAI and when and all the precautions, etc that go with it. After that will be one more complete body scan inc. thyroid. I also get to go back on my thyroid med 48 hours after the treatment begins so hopefully I'll start feeling better after that. I know getting on the correct dosage may be trial and error for a while, but then again, maybe not but the worst is behind me and I'm really happy.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: ** UPDATE ** on thyroid scan

Key Kc! Just wanted to wish you all the best as you are approaching your RAI. I'm 11 days out from my RAI and beginning to feel better. Take it easy - let the treatment do its job - and all the best wishes go with you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

How do they know from an uptake scan that there was cancer in that tissue? I thought an uptake scan can only detect thyroid tissue, not whether or not it is cancerous---unless they are presuming it based upon the pathology?

Either way, it's great that you are on your way to having the RAI---i had lots of remnant tissue too, and the RAI obliterated it, hope yours does too!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

KC, it's VERY good to hear that the cancer has not spread! If you have any questions about the RAI, just ask us. One thing my Dr. forgot to mention to me: when you go on the low-iodine diet, you need to check your multivitamin, as many of them have iodine in them. GL with everything and keep us posted!

By the way, I'm about 8 days post RAI and starting to feel good. I'm still a far cry from feeling 100%, but every little improvement is great! I'm sure it won't take long for you to feel better, too.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
(female)

kcf71 HB User

Thank you all for you responses I had my visit with the radiologist and I'm taking the RAI on Wed. Aug 20th. It's a pretty sizable dose given the amount of thy. tissue left. He said it may take a 2nd dose...we'll know when I get another scan after the first treatment. He told me he follows the 5-foot rule when it comes to contact with people while I'm "radioactive". Have to flush 3 times if I share a bathroom and basically stay 5 feet away from ppl. I have a boyfriend so of course I asked about hugging and stuff and he said it's not a problem..just can't watch a movie with my head on his shoulder the whole time kind of thing LOL, for atleast a week and can increase my time with people a little more after that week. Just basically use common sense he said. Pets are fine too. Don't have to stay away from my fur babies He said the only side effect I may experience is a minor sore throat.

Closed Thread