It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User
legs

hi i am hypothyroid and wondered if anyone else has had swelling in thighs and stomache i was on 50mcg mcg levothyroxine and my last tsh result was 2.89 so i was raised to 75 mcg just wondered if anyone else had this swelling

Old 08-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: legs

i definitely had swelling (still do, i think, but less) in my legs and feet. actually i'm assuming the swelling could have been everywhere, as it was definitely in my face too. all the bloat is a symptom of being hypo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you for the reply i seem to have the bloating on legs breast and stomach i was only 8 stone all my life i am 55 and suddenly my weight went to 10 and a half stone i feel like a big balloon i am small 5 foot 1 so it makes me look a bit heavy

Old 08-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

cardshark HB Usercardshark HB User

I had a completion thyroidectomy July 9th and about 1.5-2 weeks later I was so swollen and bloated you couldn't even tell I had ankles. my ankles were as big as my calf. My entire body was extremely swollen, I even had swelling in my throat and tongue. I ended up having to take the maximum dosage of advil everyday just to keep my throat from swelling shut and I only have one kidney and am not supposed to take advil. I should have gone to the ER but was stubborn and didn't because I was supposed to be a camp counselor and didn't want to be admitted to the hosp. It was a stupid decision but luckily I survived it. At the time I was on 100mcg of levothyroxine (synthroid). I was having severe hypo thyroid symptoms but my TSH was 0.78 so doc wouldn't adjust the dose. I was also extremely pale. Two weeks later I had my post op appt. and my TSH was 10 so they have finally increased my dosage to 125and the swelling is definately better. I've still gained a ton of weight and it doesn't matter what I do I just keep gaining but I just started the new dose a few days ago so I'm really hoping it will help. Since I started having the thyroid problems again in March I have gained almost 40 pounds. I'm only 25 years old and supposed to be in my best friends wedding in a couple months and there is no way I'm going to fit into the dress that I bought.

Last edited by cardshark; 08-16-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Cardshark,

The swelling in your throat & tongue sounds like an allergic reaction. If that was the case, you're luckly to be alive. You need to try & track down the source of the reaction. Please tell your DR.
You can die on the spot in the case of allergic reactions so you may need to carry a injection of adrenalin with you at all times. Fam

Old 08-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
(female)

waratah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARON1952 View Post
thank you for the reply i seem to have the bloating on legs breast and stomach i was only 8 stone all my life i am 55 and suddenly my weight went to 10 and a half stone i feel like a big balloon i am small 5 foot 1 so it makes me look a bit heavy
Hi sharon1952,

I'm hashi and have swelling in my limbs, face, feet, and especially tongue.
There are permanent teeth indentations on the sides of the tongue, joint are swollen and sore, hips, knees, shoulders, back all aching and sore etc,

Weight gain/loss: Initially when I started on thyroid replacement, I lost a bit of weight perhaps due to my increased energy which was really great, then about 3 months ago, thyroid replacement was reduced by half due to increasing anxiety - now weight gain is occuring and all Hashi symptoms are back again too.

So swelling and aches and pains definitley part of hypothyroidism. Please let us know how you're getting on.
Hope this helps,
waratah

Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i replied earlier but i just remembered i had swollen tongue too! wow, i had forgotten all about that. that was awful. thats a hypo symptom for sure - i felt like it was too big for my mouth. ugh. it also had "scalloped edges" which my naturopath pointed out.

thank goodness that went away. i'm not at optimal levels, but sufficient enough some time ago to relieve the tongue problem.

take care!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you all for the replys the last time i got my blood done it was 2.89 english labs i was on 50 mcg levothyroxine and the doctor put me up to 75 mcg i still dont feel any better i have no energy and am always sweating just feel my body had fell to bits do things ever get better i seemed a bit better the last time after he put me up to 75 but seem to be getting worse again also i have very loose bowells and did feel as if my tougne was swelling a bit still smoking as i dont think i could handle the withdrawalls at this time even though i want to stop

Old 08-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
(female)

waratah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
i replied earlier but i just remembered i had swollen tongue too! wow, i had forgotten all about that. that was awful. thats a hypo symptom for sure - i felt like it was too big for my mouth. ugh. it also had "scalloped edges" which my naturopath pointed out.

thank goodness that went away. i'm not at optimal levels, but sufficient enough some time ago to relieve the tongue problem.

take care!
Hi scoot,

How long did it take for your tonge to go back to normal?

I've been on 100mcg Thyroid replacement since last year and my tongue is still swollen and with teeth indentations. grrrrr and now oroxine is reduced to 50mcg, and all my hypothyroid symptoms are returning big time.

Oh brother, I can see another trip to the Doc coming up, and another of those conversations about being marginally euthyroid AND STILL HAVING SYMPTOMS.

Why is it that Dr's won't believe my symptoms unless it is substantiated and proven in a blood test?

Regards, to all. Waratah

Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

waratah-

have you tried a t3 hormone along with your t4?

you know i'm really not sure when my tongue problems went away. if i had to guess, i'd say maybe a year or two into my drug therapy. sorry i can't say for sure!

you asked why doctors go by blood tests and not by how we feel. answer: because they are idiots! almost all of us have been through this, or are still going through it, feeling badly but with normal labwork. go doctor shopping i say, until you find someone who will listen to you.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
(female)

waratah HB User

Hi scoot,
thanks for your reply.
About 2-3 months ago my thyroid replacement was lowered from 100mcg per day to 50mcg per day, now I feel just rotten.
Will be collecting blood lab results tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be some indication in there about where the doc is heading now.

Ta,
waratah

Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
(female)

waratah HB User

Hi all,
Just received my last lab results from the 27th July - Oh, bugger bugger bugger, my TSH reading is VERY VERY NORMAL at 2.47, but I still have a Vitamin D deficiency.
FT4 is 11 (8-22)
FT3 3.5 (2.5-60)
Antibodies untested this time, but last test were 1,860 (0-30)

Then why oh why do I feel soo fatigued all the time? Cold, swollen tongue, dry sandy eyes, tinitus, phantosmia etc etc etc - and the list just goes on and on and on . . . .

Oh well as the Doctor says "well it can't be your thyroid then can it?"

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Regards to all, waratah

Closed Thread