It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: midland nc usa
Posts: 67
tami71 HB User
Question Second Opinion, Need Advice Please!!

Hi everyone, I went for my second opinion yesterday. I had one hot nodule that was (is) making me hyperthyroid, and the first endo wanted to do RAI I am not sure if that is what I want to do. I went for a second opinion yesterday and they did an ultra sound and found two more small @ 1cm nodules on my right lobe The one big one I had is on my left lobe and it is 3.2 cm. I am on tapazole sp? But this new endo dosen't think it will help. They are going to biopsy in two weeks I think. The two small ones they just found she said appear to be cold. She said she just wanted to get my levels better for now and check my blood in a week to see how I am responding to the tapazole. She wants me to be thinking about either RAI or surgery she seems to prefer RAI but said she wanted me to make that decision.She thinks that this is what I am facing to get rid of the hyper symptoms. Which of these would you do?
Thanks for ANY advice you can give me, I am very troubled about this, I have a big family to take care of!
Tami

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
RMB RMB is offline
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 140
RMB HB User
Re: Second Opinion, Need Advice Please!!

Glad to hear your second opinion went well. I am also glad to hear that you are getting a biopsy done. Given that you have a quite a few nodules, both hot and cold. I would still be more inclined to have the sugery. I would feel better just getting that tissue out of there and then knowing from the path report whether it is cancerous or not. You will need to decide what you are most comfortable with and also weigh out the risk factors with both procedures. Either way you will be hypo and will need meds....what are you initially thinking?

How are you feeling now that you started you new medication? I am hoping that you are experiencing some relief from your hyperT symptoms.

Best wishes to you as you move through your decision making process...
Rhonda

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: midland nc usa
Posts: 67
tami71 HB User
Re: Second Opinion, Need Advice Please!!

Hey Rhonda, good to hear from you again! I was hoping you would reply. I am feeling pretty tired. I don't know if the meds are helping, my heart rate today was 120 just loading the dishwasher. I think it is making me sleepy that is a side effect. I go Fri. to have my levels checked to see if it is helping. My new Dr says there is only about a 25% chance it will help and to be thinking about either surgery or RAI. I am thinking more surgery but she kept talking about how invasive and major it was with me being so hyper and that kind of scared me. I guess I just have to wait till I have the biopsy and go from there. I am so scared of going hypo and I sooo don't want to gain weight. I know I shouldn't worry about that... I will just be thankful if it is not cancer. I was hoping I could do like you and just have a lobectemy, but then she found the two small ones on my right side.
So how are you doing ? Are you still feeling good?
Tami

 
Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
RMB RMB is offline
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: MN
Posts: 140
RMB HB User
Re: Second Opinion, Need Advice Please!!

Good luck with your blood draw...I hope you will start to feel some relief soon. When is your biopsy? Just remember that the bottom line in choosing one procedure over the other is yours. You will also want to have a consult with a surgeon before you choose one or the other, also make sure that the surgeon has done lots of thyroid surgeries....

I am feeling okay...thanks for asking. I started to feel like I was going down hill last week again, so I called and got an appointment with my family doctor for this coming Friday. Since it was a week before I could get in and I am quite sure the hypo symptoms were flaring up I started taking a pill and a half of my levo. I normally don't do that but I really did not want to take a backward spiral when I was feeling so well previously. I have blood drawn tomorrow morning so we shall see what the doc has to say.

Having your whole thyroid out is not all bad...with having a PT there is a chance that the remaining half can grow a nodule and then a second surgery will be necessary. So I guess one surgery vs. two is ok ....so it's not all bad! It is hard when we are so hoping for one thing and then in the end it is not at all what we were hoping for....like me, I was thinking I would not have to take meds as I was really hoping my thyroid would work after surgery, but that is not the case...taking the meds so far has not been too bad though.

I look forward to hearing how your labs go on Friday...
Rhonda

 
Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: midland nc usa
Posts: 67
tami71 HB User
Smile Re: Second Opinion, Need Advice Please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Good luck with your blood draw...I hope you will start to feel some relief soon. When is your biopsy? Just remember that the bottom line in choosing one procedure over the other is yours. You will also want to have a consult with a surgeon before you choose one or the other, also make sure that the surgeon has done lots of thyroid surgeries....

I am feeling okay...thanks for asking. I started to feel like I was going down hill last week again, so I called and got an appointment with my family doctor for this coming Friday. Since it was a week before I could get in and I am quite sure the hypo symptoms were flaring up I started taking a pill and a half of my levo. I normally don't do that but I really did not want to take a backward spiral when I was feeling so well previously. I have blood drawn tomorrow morning so we shall see what the doc has to say.

Having your whole thyroid out is not all bad...with having a PT there is a chance that the remaining half can grow a nodule and then a second surgery will be necessary. So I guess one surgery vs. two is ok ....so it's not all bad! It is hard when we are so hoping for one thing and then in the end it is not at all what we were hoping for....like me, I was thinking I would not have to take meds as I was really hoping my thyroid would work after surgery, but that is not the case...taking the meds so far has not been too bad though.

I look forward to hearing how your labs go on Friday...
Rhonda
Hi Rhonda, I go back on the 27th and I think they will do the biopsy then.
I hope you get to feeling better soon. I thought I read on another post that you were starting to feel like you were going hypo. I was wondering if you had got to feeling better. Good luck at the dr. on Friday. Thats good you had the levo. on hand. Maybe that will keep you from feeling so bad till they get your levels checked.
Yea, I guess having the hole thyroid out isn't so bad. My Dr. said since she found the other two nodules on my right side that she was afraid if they only took out half that the other nodules would start to do the same thing, and I would have to go back and have them removed later. I don't want to have to do this twice. I have never had surgery, so this is all new to me, but from what I read it doesn't seem so bad. My Dr said she has an excellect surgeon that works with her that does thryoid surgerys all day ,so that made me feel better also.
I was like you in hoping I could only have half removed and not have to take meds but then we found the other two. I have three first cousins that are hypo and it seems like they have a time getting there meds to where they feel good. I was hoping to avoid that, but I don't think thats going to happen.
Oh well, theres worst things, we will get through this. It feels good to know we are not the only ones with this!
I hope you get a good report, let me hear what you find out on Fri.
ttyl,

Tami

Last edited by tami71; 08-19-2008 at 09:49 AM.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!