It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
(female)

bambi88 HB User
Unhappy My story... new and confused

Hi, I'm new here And I apologize now if I sound anxious and nervous!

So, my fiancé experienced symptoms here and there for the last month. It started with his eyes... he had double-vision. We went to different doctors nearly everyday, and had horrible, sleepless, scared nights because we started to think it might be multiple sclerosis. We got a cat scan, and everything was okay. So we were confused still, but relieved and it quieted down.
Then his massive headaches started, and his neck pain. His eyes still haven't recovered 100%.
We did an MRI and the xrays showed an inflammated sinus on one side. The doctor said it was sinitus. Then he went to another doctor, and he said it's not his sinuses, but he wasn't any help and was quite rude!
His entire family on his mom's side have had thyroid problems.
Basically, we've looked all over the internet and discovered he has 22 symptoms of Graves disease to the touch. He says everything he read from sufferes and other sites was exactly how he feels.

Here's the huge problem... I'm currently living in Germany with him now, and we're supposed to move to my house in America in September. We just discovered all this now, and he really wants to get surgery. We're both young (I'm 19 and he is 22) and were about to move to America to make a living. Now we're very confused, scared, and worried.

What does anybody think about surgery? We're also worried about the risks, such as his voicebox being damaged, or calcium problems... has anybody here had surgery or experienced any damage? Anybody's opinion is very important to me, and I will take it in my heart and try my best to help out, too. Thank you all very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: My story... new and confused

You are very sweet to be so concerned about your fiance and involved in his health.

He can't diagnose graves disease by symptoms alone. There is no reason to discuss any sort of surgery if you don't have a diagnosis of a thyroid problem, and hopefully, nobody would do surgery until he has some sort of diagnosis based upon bloodwork and other tests.

The internet is a great tool, but it does not diagnose diseases.

Please find a doctor that you trust, tell the doctor the symptoms, get him a full physical with full bloodwork, and mention the family history and suspicion of thyroid problems.

Hopefully you will find a good doctor that will work with him until he finds his problem, and then you can decide how to treat it.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

bambi88 HB User
Re: My story... new and confused

Thank you Yeah, we are going first thing in the morning to the doctor! (it's Sunday evening here). We're very worried and scared, and he is sure this is it. I have a little shred of hope that it's something lighter, but if not, we'll figure it out and do what's next. Thanks for your help!

Closed Thread