It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Don't take any thyroxine on the day when you have blood tests?

Hi, all.

I read this on one website" Do not take any thyroxine on the day when you go for your check-up and have a blood sample taken. The reason for this is that for about 4 hours after ingesting a tablet of thyroxine, the blood level of thyroxine peaks and will give a spuriously high reading". Is it true So hypothyroidism sufferers who have been on the treatment process should have their blood tested without medcine on that day for the accuracy of lab numbers?

Any opinions?

Last edited by cutejenny77; 08-17-2008 at 12:23 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to cutejenny77 For This Useful Post:
issie (02-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
(female)

aussiejenni HB User
Re: Don't take any thyroxine on the day when you have blood tests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejenny77 View Post
Hi, all.

I read this on one website" Do not take any thyroxine on the day when you go for your check-up and have a blood sample taken. The reason for this is that for about 4 hours after ingesting a tablet of thyroxine, the blood level of thyroxine peaks and will give a spuriously high reading". Is it true So hypothyroidism sufferers who have been on the treatment process should have their blood tested without medcine on that day for the accuracy of lab numbers?

Any opinions?
Hello
I go for my blood test early in the morning then it is fine to take the thyroxine after the test on that day.
Take care
Jenni.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Yes I've read that too. Although to be honest, I've never played by that rule!!

I usually take my meds at around 7am and get my bloods done around 10am - not too far out

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Hi, tygwyn. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

When i first began my meds i was only on a T3 med and even then my doctor would tell me absolutely NO meds of any sort prior to the blood test. Also he prefers all blood tests to do with any forms of hormones to be done before or at least by 8.30am.

When i get my cortisol levels done then it's a case of no food for 12hrs prior to the test, only water. No med's of any descritpion, not even vitamins and the test must be done prior to 8.30am.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
When i first began my meds i was only on a T3 med and even then my doctor would tell me absolutely NO meds of any sort prior to the blood test. Also he prefers all blood tests to do with any forms of hormones to be done before or at least by 8.30am.

When i get my cortisol levels done then it's a case of no food for 12hrs prior to the test, only water. No med's of any descritpion, not even vitamins and the test must be done prior to 8.30am.
I really wanna see your doctor Audrey!! Which state are you in??

I'm seeing a new doc next week which I'm really excited about, but I'm always up for new ones!!

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
No med's of any descritpion, not even vitamins and the test must be done prior to 8.30am.
Hi, Audrey-B,

I had the test done 5.30pm and I knew that the sample of my blood was analyzed until the next morning. Do you think the results are reliable?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

cutejenny - i can't say whether your results will be reliable or not as i'm not medically qualified. I have been told by my last couple of doctors that all hormone testing should be done first thing in the morning. If you are worried you could always do a retest, but it would probably be better if you get into the habit of asking your doctor when is the best time to have certain tests done, or in future testing, get them done in the morning.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn - i'm in sydney too My situation is possibly a little different to other people's as the Trichologist who i was seeing in Balmain ended up referring me onto a university doctor as at that time he was looking for a small group of people who had the range of problems that i was suffering with as well as having Hashi's. I'm not sure of this doctors title, but i think he is involved in some form of research so only takes on small groups once in a while and you cant simply walk in off the street to see him. I bumped into another female by accident who has Graves and Hashi's and her doctor also referred her onto a professor at a University, not the one i'm seeing, as she also had other things going on besides her thyroid issues. These types of doctors are likely out there, but few and far between. I don't know how you go about seeing them though as in my case he was looking for particular things in conjuntion with the Hashi's.

I have heard that there is a female Endo somewhere in Sydney and she is supposedly one of the very best hormone experts, but she's a bit expensive. I don't know what her name is.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
t

I have heard that there is a female Endo somewhere in Sydney and she is supposedly one of the very best hormone experts, but she's a bit expensive. I don't know what her name is.
Thanks Audrey!

I think the female Endo you are talking about is actually a GP and her name is Dr Ludka Berkowski. I've just gotten back from an appt with her myself and she was absolutely lovely. A very very relaxed appt where she explained her previous history with Hashi and Adrenal fatigue - she herself takes cortisol and has just told me that she thinks my adrenals are shot! She uses a computer to check how 'hypothyroid' you are too (combined obviously with symptoms and labs etc) and apparently mine is ok - which I'm happy with to be honest. I'm on oroxine at the moment and after we've sorted my adrenals out (shes given me a prescription for cortisol and dhea) we'll look at moving me on to Armour.

I've also got a big bottle to fill up with pee to take for testing in 24 hours....nice!!! haha

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn - yes i've heard of her before and hear that she is excellent. You must be happy knowing you are in good hands. Isn't it funny how a lot of the best thyroid doctors are the ones who have thyroid problems themselves!! My doctor also suffers from Hashi's and can identify with what i'm going through.

It's so important to check the adrenals out. If you are started on thyroid meds and the adrenals are poor, the thyroid meds wont work effectively and i believe i've also read that more damage can be done to the thyroid (can't recall precisely what i read, but just remember it wasn't good). I'm taking half a cortate tablet daily for my cortisol levels. I usually take mine between 11 - 11.30am. It says any time between 11am and 2 pm, but i feel best taking it at just before/after 11.30am. Some days i can feel my body telling me it's running low on cortisol and i cant wait till after 11am so i can take my dose and it really picks me up.

What is the 24hr urine test for? I did something like that to check how much iodine i was losing in a 24hr period. I can't seem to keep my iodine up naturally and now i take iron drops daily.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
It's so important to check the adrenals out. If you are started on thyroid meds and the adrenals are poor, the thyroid meds wont work effectively and i believe i've also read that more damage can be done to the thyroid (can't recall precisely what i read, but just remember it wasn't good).
No more damage will be done to my baby...its long gone

Quote:
What is the 24hr urine test for? I did something like that to check how much iodine i was losing in a 24hr period. I can't seem to keep my iodine up naturally and now i take iron drops daily.
Its actually a cortisol test - for some reason she uses this instead. I'm sure if I asked she'd happily do the saliva test so I'll see how this one turns out. Having said that though shes already prescribed Cortisol and DHEA anyway.

I'm not sure I've ever had my iodine tested...need to look into that one too!

Jeez its a minefield isnt it!!

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Closed Thread