It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
I'm still around

Hi guys,

I guess I've been a little quiet lately. Ain't been feeling so good. I've been to see the gp twice since I last updated anyone. Three separate lab runs without anything definitive. Here's some of the highlights:

TSH 0.452 (0.399 - 4.900)
FT4 1.04 (0.70 - 1.48)
FT3 3.04 (1.71 - 3.71)
Thyroglobulin 74.4 (0.5 - 55.0)
Bilirubin 1.6 (0.2 - 1.2)

RBC 4.67 (4.20 - 5.40)
WBC 7.9 (4.8 - 10.8)
MCH 31.5 (27.0 - 31.0)
RDW 15.2 (11.5 - 14.5)
Neuts 75.7 (42.2 - 75.2)
Lymphs 19.4 (20.5 - 51.1)

Platelets 143 (130 - 400)
MPV 10.9 (7.4 - 10.4)
Differential Comments: Anisocytosis
Sed Rate 18 (0 - 15)

Reticulcytes 0.78% (0.40 - 2.00)
Iron 55 (25-156)
TIBC 385 (250 - 450)
UIBC 330 (170 - 230)
Iron Saturation 14 (20 - 50)

Ferritin 72 (2 - 162)
B12 394 (208 - 963)
Folate 10.2 (7.2 - 15.4)
Insulin 2.1 (3.0 - 25.0)

I also flunked the neuro exam. Aphasia, Dysmetria, Foot Dorsiflexion Weakness, and a positive Romberg and whatever else he wrote down that I didn't catch. I get to ride thru the thumping tunnel on thursday for an mri of the head and brainstem. If nothing shows up, he's talking the possibility of a full body PET scan.

The only thing I can come up with is hemolysis without anemia but no reason why. I just keep spinning myself in circles. I'm bummed.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User
Re: I'm still around

Geez! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. How confusing. Does your doc have *any* idea what's going on???

I wish I could help figure your labs - mine are mucked up and I cannot make sense of mine either.

But - I'm sending you e-hugs and hoping you get to the bottom of this soon.

Please let us know what you find...

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the hug LisaBob. I think I really needed one.

He's really not sure. The only thing that seems pretty definitive is the hemolytic anemia but that always has a cause. It's a symptom, not a disease. The ANA came back negative. Right now he's looking for some kind of brain lesion or demyelinating disease. He also mentioned chronic infection but said that was pretty unlikely with that low a WBC but not impossible. The chest xray showed that the latent TB hasn't activated. He also wants to rule out some type of malignacy. You know, just all those wonderful things that you don't wanna think about.

I dropped by the clinic this morn. The pustular psoriasis on the hands exploded again over the weekend. That's thank's to the dermatologist who didn't listen and decided a shot of cortisone would fix me right up before confirming a diagnoses. He caused a horrific flare that I've had to deal with on top of all this other stuff. They do allow walk-ins so I figured why not give it a shot. The gal at the front desk asked what I wanted and I just held up my hands and said I'd really like to see someone. Her eyes got huge and she said OMG and jumped on the computer and had me in with the PA in less than 5 minutes. Usually I have to wait at least 2 weeks for an appt. Pulled the same number at the pharmacy when the pharmacist asked whether it was supposed to be cream or gel. I asked him which he thought would work best. He grabbed the cream, slapped a label on it and I was out of there in a matter of minutes ahead of a full line of other customers.

It's amazing the reaction you get from them when it's something they can actually see. If only they could see what was going on in the inside.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

Holy cow! Are you more scared or exhausted?

Will the doc be doing more tests in the near term? When do you think you might know something so you can move forward and get to feeling better?

Sorry about your hands but glad they took you seriously - and quickly! It *is* amazing how much people will help if they "see" it!

Hang in there! Keep us posted. Mostly, I hope you feel better and get some answers soon!

Lisa

Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I walked in exhausted and came out scared.

I've got the mri on thursday and then wait for the report and a chance for the gp to think and go over everything and I go back to see him on the 11th.

I haven't told anybody. The hubby's being so sweet right now cause of the hands and feet. Why spoil it? I just don't know anything for sure right now and everyone's so used to me going in for tests that no one ever asks why any more.

Hey, the thyroid's behaving! That's something.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Oh my! Well it sure sounds like u have been thru it these last few weeks. Sheesh....

I do hope u can get some answers though soon. Maybe the MRI will bring something up. Something that u can handle and treat though.. It is AMAZING how these dr's and people work and move when it is something they can see with the naked eye. Almost scary that they really don't take much else very serious it seems. Or unless u have the usual "in the box" type of ailment then they just are clueless..

Well get to feeling better!!! I always feel a little better when I am able to come here and just chat, vent, or ask for some good advice.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Aww goshdarnit, Helen. I'm sorry you're going through this. Will be hoping like heck for you that it isn't anything that can't be easily remedied.

As for the hands... Maybe there was an element of fear of it being contagious that got you such fast service.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks katkatdd. I guess there's something about just saying it. And there's no better place than here. I kinda feel like this place is my medical family. The one place I can really go where people know what it's like. I could probably get pity from my family but that's not what I want. I also don't want them putting on their worry hats if it doesn't turn out to be anything serious. But one thing for sure, I don't feel alone anymore.

I really couldn't ask for a better gp. He's really jumped thru hoops for me and come thru on things when no one else can. He treats me like an intelligent human being. I trust him completely. I just wish he'd hurry up. The 11th seems forever away. I should be able to get hold of the mri report as soon as it comes out though. He's instructed the staff that I'm to get results whether he's seen em yet or not and they can even fax em too.

The PA was kinda funny yesterday. It's the first time I've seen him. He said he was going to go talk to my gp. As he was walking out the door he shook his head and said "Aw, you internet people". I responded with a "Yeah, but it sure saves you guys a lot of work". He laughed. I think the gp told him to listen to what I said. He came back in with a script. I looked at it and asked if we could try retinoids first. He said those could be dangerous. I told him I was talking about the topicals and not the internals cause they'd been approved for psoriasis and I wasn't terribly keen on a 10 day course of doxycycline and all it's wonderful side effects. I'd read that it's supposed to be effective but gosh darn, I'm not going to screw up my digestive system just to treat a rash on the hands and feet. He said ok and gave me the script for the retinoid and told me to hold the other for if it didn't work. I liked him. I think I'll keep him for the skin and let him handle that so it doesn't screw up another whole appt with the gp.

Hiya midwest. I truly appreciate the support. I think I'm begininng to find out what a leper feels like. You're right. Everyone thinks it's contagious. It looks absolutely horrid. These nasty looking white pustules on a nice red background. Luckily it's just on the palms and feet and I can somewhat keep it hidden when I need to but it was almost hilarious the reactions I was getting to it yesterday. Maybe we should all learn to wear our thyroids on the outside of our necks???

Anyhow, It's starting to get light out. Time to go out and see how much damage the tree did when it fell on the shed early this morning. This is the shed that we just put the new roof on last week. The one where the price of metal has doubled. Actually didn't need to put a new roof on yet. Just figured it was getting old enough and we were converting it into a tack room and decided to just go ahead and do it before we actually needed to. It also happened after midnight. About 4am. Yesterday I called and increased the homeowner's deductable from one to two thousand to take effect at midnight. Why???

Old 08-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool {({({({ accessn12 })})})}

Just wanted to give you a cyber * *hug* * Keep us posted

Thoughts & prayers for the future

Old 08-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hi Helen found you at last hun, its no good asking how you are as i can see your under the weather babe, just to make you smile remember those stockings i had to wear for the dermie? well il let you into a little secret as it was warm weather i didnt fancy being all sweaty in them so i cut the top off one and wore just that i really looked a right nutter lol : i think he must have thought i was weird hey he gave me a right funny look with a grin. anyway hun you made me start looking at my bloods after looking at yours lol i have been full of pain in my spine again but its going from the top to the bottom now some pulled muscle hey thats what they tell me anyhow. well lots of get well love and hugs kassi xx

Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Helen, I wanted to pop in and say that I hope that you get to feeling better soon. Medical problems are a pain...some of us have more than our share. I hope the MRI goes well. Obviously you have had them before to refer to it as you have. I have had a few myself. Good luck with it all. Sending warm thoughts and prayers your way.
Lori

Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're sweet suey. Thanks.

Now kassi, I'm so glad you popped in. We need to liven the place up a bit. Nothing more cathartic than a touch of laughter.

Actually the weather's been gorgeous. Warm, dry. More like autumn than august.

There's a name for those bands that you wear around the thigh. If it weren't for the aphashia, I might even remember what the name is. However, they're supposed to be sexy. Maybe that's why he grinned? Man am I glad my brower's got a spellchecker. I've been having a wild time with words and typing and writing lately. And here I am registered and paid to start class on monday. Medical terminology of all things. This is going to be a blast! I don't know. Maybe the practice will do me good??? Strange thing is the word might come out wrong but as soon as I reread it or get a funny look from someone, I can correct it. I asked the gp if it could just be from distraction and being so tired. He said the forgetting words might be but not the complete word substitutions.

Sorry for the interruption. I had to meet the ambulance at the hospital. My mom's bp shot up. I've just spent the last 24 hours there. She's going to be ok but they're trying to keep it under control. I got someone to stay with her tonight so I can ride the tube tomorrow.

I'm ready to drop. I shall return.........................

Old 08-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hi Hun this is just a quick one as its late im dropping too i feel like my adrenaline is running high i was awake the other night most of the night i might add i just felt wide awake i have a lot on my mind tho at the min with my daughter due to start university in 4 weeks and my other daughter has had twins 4 weeks ago and the hospital are sending them for test as they say there one has very soft bones in her hips and the other has very soft spine and they need to check it out, anyway hun give my love to your mum hope she feels better soon, what is aphashia, lol sorry for being thick babe and those bands are stockings lol! what are your classes for. you know what when i took to people i keep forgetting my word and i have to wait minutes before i remember it and it happening too often lolspeek soon love kassi xx

Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey lori, didn't mean to snub you. I just dropped and ran when the call came. It's the 4th one in less than a year. They did my pituitary last fall and then gave me a scare this spring by calling me back for another look at an area on my breast. We're in a holding pattern on that problem until next spring's mri to see if there's any change. The gp wants this one compared to the one they did when they did the pituitary.

I had my ride thru the tunnel. It was the best rest I've had all week. I didn't want it to end. There's something that looks like it might be a brain in there but that's all I know until early next week. The tech said about 48 hours for a report to come out.

Mum's home from the hospital. They ran every test in the book. She's in perfect shape. The doc's adjusted her bp meds and she seems to be doing fine now.

Kassi, You poor thing. Sounds like you've got a lot on your mind. I sure hope everything turns out alright with the grandbabies. You still planning on seeing them at xmas time?

Aphasia is difficulty with language that's usually due to a problem in one of the speech centers in the brain. I'm not only forgetting words but I'm substituting words. That's the part the gp's concerned about. He says the forgetting can happen to anyone. I've always been an excellent typist. Now I go to read what I typed and the words are wrong. They aren't typos. They're actually words and they're even spelled right. Just not the words that are supposed to be there. I think something and type something else. I do it with writing and speaking too. As soon as I see it, I know it's wrong and if someone looks at me strange, I know I've said something weird. If I slow way down I might get it right. I'm spending almost as much time correcting what I type as I do typing it.

There's a name for a thing that women wear on their thigh. The thing the groom takes off at a wedding. Now come on someone. Anyone. What's the word for it???

My first class is medical terminology. I'm getting my degree as a medical assistant. This class is learning medical words. How to spell em and pronounce them and what they mean. It really might be interesting to see what this language thingy does with that.

Now I must go eat. I'm hoping things will settle down a little bit now. I'm getting to the point where I'm barely functioning. It's hard to tell what's not right and what's just plain exhaustion.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hi Helen Oh babe im so sorry for you that is so weird let me know how your results are these lessons could be good for you then hun, but look on the bright side too it could be usefull if you wanted to say somethink to someone like your dermie you sent that email to, i mean for instance if you want to say! you really dont know much about your p---k opps i meant job sorry i have a problem lol. you could get away with it, write him another email for what he put you through no only joking hunny wanted to make you laugh, seriously though it must be a pain for you as if your not going through enough, i am really pleased your mum is ok, yes i am planning on still seeing the twins at christmas i cant wait, and that thing that women wear on the top of their leg is a GARTER yeah! got there in the end it took me a while to catch on to that one lol! hope you enjoyed your food hun & dont worry about coming straight back to us on here as long as you let us know your ok you need to get some sleep when you can and get well, although we love talking to you your mind needs some rest loads of love and hugs to help you get better hun xxxxxxxxxxx kassi

Closed Thread