It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User
Always something.......... this is a long post....sorry

Hi,
I am one year out YESTERDAY from that hellish day of the thyroid cancer diagnosis. I was so happy, and we were invited to our friends' cottage for the day. Well, of course, it always has to be something going on. I went one month ago to the endo's office and saw the PA, I was having {before that} issues with my Parotid gland, that cleared up. Then I noticed and felt swelling under my jaw where the submandibular glands lie, well, it didn't go away, so I went to see the PA and she said if it isn't gone in a few weeks, come back. I called one month later {hoping to give it plenty of time to settle down} and saw the endo yesterday. He felt the glands, fullness, etc. and said he "thought" too, that it was my sub. salivary glands inflamed, wasn't too concerned because it was both sides and no "swollen node". Well, to be certain, he sent me to have an ultrasound and the tech said, "I need to have the radiologist check this and you because I see a couple of lymph nodes". Seriously, I felt my face and neck flush HOT and my heart starting beating hard, and I thought, one year tomorrow, and I have another issue??? He came in, and was quite nice and asked me my story...TT last Aug. Stage 1, 200mci RA-I in Aug. WBS a few days later, uptake in thyroid bed only, Tg bloodwork end of April..0. He was a bit reasurring, but not completely. Said that the lymph node measures 1 cm, and that is the "upper" end of normal...if it were 1.5 or 2cm, he said that wouldn't be good. He said my sub. sal. glands were full of scar tissue {fibrous tissue} and looked terrible, and that it is perm. damage due to the RA-I. Ok, this is the confusing part. He thought the lymph node was within normal limits, but said in his report he is going to send to the endo, that he is going to suggest the 123 uptake to prove to me, to give me peace of mind, well, I told him if he just told me it was ok, why more testing? I JUST WANTED HIM TO SAY IT IS OK, BYE NOW!!! But, I guess he can't do that unless he does a biopsy, right? He also said I could have the TG tested again, which I personally would be more inclined to do, I don't want any more radiation!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I have to wait to hear from my endo as far as follow up. Sorry so long....but my brain tells me that this "shouldn't" be cancer, because, the cancer hadn't spread, the RA-I would have killed the cancer in this node if the surgeon had "missed" this node, RIGHT?????? He did not remove ANY nodes during the surgery, he said that none were visible, which was great, but if he had MISSED it, wouldn't it also have shown up {lit up} on the WBS??????????? Grasping here..............My TG marker was 0 in April, 4 months ago...........Please Lord, don't let this be more cancer....I feel like I am hyper sensitive, after all I've been through, plus my son has had a head injury and a seizure during all this, but is getting better...I SERIOUSLY can't take any MORE. Could this be cancer 4 months after a 0 TG tumor marker, or doesn't any of that matter? Could it be? My friend who does CT scans, said lymph nodes can swell for a variety of reasons, allergies, getting sick, doesn't have to be cancer, BUT my mind goes to that big bad C word. Plus, I am not getting sick, and don't have allergies to speak of. I guess I just wanted to share and see if anyone had any advice, thanks for reading my LONG panicky post.
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Always something.......... this is a long post....sorry

My Dh had cancer (Hodgkins) too. And has done the SCARY swollen lymph gland thingie too. With him it turned out to be nothing , , ,

Sending you many good thoughts n prayers

Many **hugs**

Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Always something.......... this is a long post....sorry

You don't necessarily need an uptake scan, you can get a needle biopsy (just like of a nodule) of the lymph node to make sure it's benign (which it likely is). An uptake scan would be less definitive either way.

During surgery my surgeon saw many enlarged lymph nodes, took a couple out to check and they were benign.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

What do your labs look like? As far as your free levels and TSH?? I had the RAI but due to Graves and I have had nothing but problems with my nodes and salivary glands etc every since... I have heard that also being HYPO or having labs that are not right or hormones that are off can sometimes cause your lymph nodes to swell?? So maybe that might be what is going on with you as well. Or if there is any kind of infection in the salivary glands or anything going on there I am wondering if that could cause the nodes to swell as well.?

I have one node in the back of my neck base of skull area that is always swollen. Not allot but just enough to be bothersome.

Please try to worry yourself I know it is hard. But it really does our bodies no good to be so worried and stressed! You are a strong person I have been following your story since you 1st posted. Take care!!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

rexcatz HB User

I don't have any helpful information, but just wanted to sent you lots of good wishes.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Thank you all so much for your kindness, I am WAITING for the endo's office to call and let me know what he wants to do. I called this afternoon and the receptionist said the report is there, but she had to have a nurse call me. So, I WAIT. On a happy note, my 16 year old son just made the varsity soccer team at his high school, and has a game at 5:30, so they better have called by then.........don't want to miss it!!! Thanks again, and I will let everyone know what is next. {hopefully..nothing?!!}
Thank you,
Lori
KatKatdd, I haven't had any labs since April, I am due again in Dec. Maybe now, sooner?

Last edited by Lori123; 08-18-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: add something

Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User
Wink Re: Always something.......... this is a long post....sorry

Good news.................the endo's office called and she said that they were not concerned about the lymph nodes, that it falls within the "normal range", although 'upper' end. The nodes on the report were actually "unremarkable". They obviously see different characteristics of a suspicious looking node, besides size. Yes!!!! I LOVE unremarkable. I do have to see an ENT about the swelling and fullness in the submandibular salivary glands, although the radiologist said it is permanent damage from the RA-I. We'll see. I am HAPPY ONCE AGAIN!!! Need to chill out about the cancer stuff....not everything is going to be cancer, right??? Of course, once you've had in in that same area, it will always be a concern for me...I do wonder if he will order another ultrasound when I see him in Dec, to see if they are gone, if they grew, etc. I will obviously have to ask about that in Dec, because the MA said nothing about follow up.
Thanks again, sorry for my panic, it is good to know where to come for reassurances.
Lori

Closed Thread