It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

llovell67 HB User
Graves and Weight Gain

Hello everyone -

I was dx with Graves a little over 2 months ago. Had lost about 15 pounds (which I totally needed to do). Have been on 50mg of Toprol and 30 mg of Tapazole daily. Just had my Tap lowered to 20 mg per day since my levels are now low, which I'm assuming hyPO? Anyway, I have gained about 20 pounds in the last 2 1/2 weeks or so! It's out of control! Is this b/c I'm hypo, b/c of the meds, what?! I can't keep on adding weight like this. Went to the cardio and am now cleared for excercise, so I'm going to start that, but it's scary how fast I'm packing on the pounds!!!

If you have any ideas or suggestions I am open. Going on vacation this weekend and can't imagine putting on a swim suit!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Graves and Weight Gain

There is no explanation from scientists about the weight gain and the thyroid...Words from one of the top Endo doc. in the country...some will gain,some will loose and some will stay the same. I fit into the category of weight gain and gain and gain. Doesn't matter what I eat or don't eat I gain year in and year out. I did have Graves and I gained rapidly...now I am hypo and continue to gain slowly but steadily. So each one of us is on their own...all doctors tell you is don't eat so much...it doesn't matter if you eat a lot or not the weight continues... Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Same here. Actually when the dr first told my I was HYPER I thought he must be mistaken and really mean I am HYPO! Nope... Hyper I was... Now I am Hypo thanks to RAI. But I have never, ever been a thin person thanks to my german/welch heritage. But I also NEVER have been a big eater. I would say I eat bigger meals now than ever in my life. I have always had stomach issues that kept me from eating big meals. But I was always able to pack on the pounds.

So it is very confusing to me also how it all works!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
(female)

llovell67 HB User

I'm sorry both of you are dealing with this too. I'm going to try and do the low-carb thing and exercise and see if that helps. Keep your fingers crossed!

Closed Thread