It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

iove2iuvya HB User
Unithroid for Hashimoto's

Hi everyone!! I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Of course I have not developed hypothyroidism yet but I am still experiencing a lot of crappy symptoms. 2 days ago I started taking 25 micrograms of Unithroid. I am excited about it and hope it works. I was just wondering if anyone out there had any experience with Unithroid helping them when they didn't actually have hypothyroidism. I have read studies that say it will help and my doctor says that it's worth a try but I was hoping I could hear from someone who it actually did help! Thanks!!

Last edited by iove2iuvya; 08-18-2008 at 10:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
(female)

iove2iuvya HB User
Re: Unithroid for Hashimoto's

Anyone out there take Unithroid at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Unithroid is just another brand name of T4, like Synthroid. Most of us take some form of T4 (sometimes with T3 combined), either brand name or generic. Unithroid is not the most commonly prescribed brand; that's why you won't find too many folks on the board who take it.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

I'm in a similar situation as you, diagnosed with Hashi's, but technically not Hypo yet (according to labs). But then again, all commercial labs ignore the recommendation of using 3.0 or higher as being hypo. And my frees haven't been tested, so who knows there.

Let us know how it works out with that dosage, as I'm leaning towards asking for my doctor for Unithroid, when I finally get to see him. It is the same as Synthroid, etc, but quite a bit cheaper. If T3 conversion stinks afterwards, then I'll try to push for Armour or something.

And is your doctor planning on raising your dosage eventually? I thought I read that 25mcg is fine to start with, but in the long run it may actually lower your thyroid hormones as your body gets used to it. As 25mcg is enough to lower TSH, but not enough to make up for the missing hormones. I think I read somewhere that 50mcg is a better amount for those of us with subclinical Hypo/Hashimoto's, but am not completely certain.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
(female)

lcarter6 HB User

I'm taking a different T4 med (for hashi's, mild hypo, with a small diffuse nontoxic goiter), but the synthetics are all basically about the same. I started taking 25 mcg June 1st this yr. Three days after starting the thyroid hormone, I had a dramatic change in my joint achiness. (A year prior to this I was dx'd with mild beginning rheumatoid arthritis with deep dull joint pain + mild swelling). It was incredible, as it all but went away overnight!!!!! However, a month into taking the thyroid med, I began having migraine headaches. Then, my doctor increased it to 50 mcg and again within 2 days the headaches disappeared!!! So far so good! I think the dx of RA was wrong!

Closed Thread