It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
(male)

blake23 HB User
TSH w/rflx to t3 and t4....same?

Hi everyone,
Today I went to get my thyroid checked. I asked specifically for TSH, T3, and T4. I read on this board that TSH alone is not a good indicator of overall thyroid health. Is that true? So i asked for T3 and T4. The doctor ordered the test for TSH but not T3 and T4 because, and i'm not sure if he's familiar with thyroids, the description reads "Thyroid Stimulating Hormone w/rflx to T3 and T4." So i guess he thinks T3 and T4 aren't necessary because it includes testing T3 and T4? My question is: is that true? That the test includes T3 and T4? If not, i'm definitely going to ask for T3 and T4.

Edit: forgot to ask if i should also get the antibodies checked? In what situation should i get it checked.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by blake23; 08-18-2008 at 08:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: TSH w/rflx to t3 and t4....same?

"TSH with reflex" means they run the TSH alone, then do the other tests only if TSH comes back out of range. So you still may not get what you asked for.

Edit: Thyroid antibody tests can be useful in getting a diagnosis when the other levels are within range. For example, if there are antibodies, low-normal T4/T3, and symptoms... some MDs will treat at that point, even if TSH is within range. Sometimes MDs only look at TSH; if it's mildly elevated and antibodies are present, they may begin treatment sooner than they would with TSH at the same level with no antibodies present.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-18-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
(male)

blake23 HB User
Re: TSH w/rflx to t3 and t4....same?

Thanks for the response.

I believe i read on this board that if TSH comes back within range, you should also get the T3 and T4 checked to be absolutely certain that your thyroid functions correctly. Is that true? If it is, then i am going to ask for the t3 and T4. Thanks.

Closed Thread