It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: US
Posts: 7
blake23 HB User
Cortisol Testing....

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if doctors admit saliva testing for cortisol levels? I hear it's done over a period of a day? meaning 1 testing in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, 1 after work (maybe?) and 1 when you go to sleep? Am i wrong? Do doctors do it differently (not talking about blood; but saliva)? Thanks for the help.

 
Old 08-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,987
Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

I did a saliva test to check all my hormones plus cortisol levels.

I did it all at home and posted the kit back to the lab. I gave my first saliva sample at 6am, then 12noon, then 6pm and 10pm. I was told to put my samples in the freezer as i completed them. I was quite impressed with the test as it was the first time i got a true indication of where i was hormone-wise as well.

Mine came back as low cortisol and my other hormones were all messed up too. I'm now on cortate tablets for the low cortisol and they have taken away so many of the bad symptoms i was suffering in my head.

To retest my cortisol levels my doctor now gets me to do an early morning blood test.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 657
tygwyn HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
I did a saliva test to check all my hormones plus cortisol levels.

I did it all at home and posted the kit back to the lab. I gave my first saliva sample at 6am, then 12noon, then 6pm and 10pm. I was told to put my samples in the freezer as i completed them. I was quite impressed with the test as it was the first time i got a true indication of where i was hormone-wise as well.

Mine came back as low cortisol and my other hormones were all messed up too. I'm now on cortate tablets for the low cortisol and they have taken away so many of the bad symptoms i was suffering in my head.

To retest my cortisol levels my doctor now gets me to do an early morning blood test.
I wish they did these tests in Oz

Can I ask Audrey...what sort of symptom were you suffering 'in your head?' Do you mean physical or mental/emotional? My head is pretty much all over place at the moment. When I feel really anxious my thoughts are vile. Luckily I do know that thats all they are, thoughts, but it still doesnt make it any easier at times.

I'm seeing a new doc next week and am hoping I get my cortisol and all other hormones tested then
__________________
Rach xxxx

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Last edited by tygwyn; 08-19-2008 at 03:20 PM.

 
Old 08-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,987
Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

I am in Australia, but regardless of where you are, every doctor has a preference regarding tests. My doctor believes the saliva test to be better than a blood test. I think even some naturopaths can organise these types of tests.

I basically felt foggy in the head, extreme tiredness, felt like i'd been hit by a bus and that shouldn't ever have gotten out of bed. Once i began taking some cortisol most of it either went away completely or there was a huge improvement.

 
Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 657
tygwyn HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
I am in Australia, but regardless of where you are, every doctor has a preference regarding tests. My doctor believes the saliva test to be better than a blood test. I think even some naturopaths can organise these types of tests.

I basically felt foggy in the head, extreme tiredness, felt like i'd been hit by a bus and that shouldn't ever have gotten out of bed. Once i began taking some cortisol most of it either went away completely or there was a huge improvement.
Now I didnt realise you were in Australia too!

I was actually talking about the tests you can order online (I assumed thats what you meant), to do at home, that I cant find in Australia - but good to hear that you found a doctor who does the saliva tests. The new doc I'm seeing next week in Sydney I 'believe' tests via a blood test, but I'll certainly ask her about the saliva tests.
__________________
Rach xxxx

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

 
Old 08-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,987
Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

tygwyn - my doctor used ARL Laboratories which are located in Melbourne and have been around for a long time and do specific forms of testing. I find the forms of testing they do quite interesting and never knew these types of tests even existed. There is info on the net about them. My doctor told me that various types of practitioners use the types of tests provided by this lab. Everyone from gp's, specialists, naturopaths, chiropractors, osteopaths, herbalists, pharmacists etc.

I still think majority of doctors find it easiest to fill in a blood test request on one of those lab slips and send you off. 3 of the tests i did were quite complex and you get your instructions and do it all at home. My doctor did explain it, but it's not as easy as a basic blood draw, but worth the results. Some of the tests you don't even get a Medicare rebate and you have to claim them on your end of financial year tax return instead. I think the hormone saliva test and the complete stool analysis test were worth the money, even if i never got a cent back.

 
Old 08-20-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 657
tygwyn HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
tygwyn - my doctor used ARL Laboratories which are located in Melbourne and have been around for a long time and do specific forms of testing. I find the forms of testing they do quite interesting and never knew these types of tests even existed. There is info on the net about them. My doctor told me that various types of practitioners use the types of tests provided by this lab. Everyone from gp's, specialists, naturopaths, chiropractors, osteopaths, herbalists, pharmacists etc.

I still think majority of doctors find it easiest to fill in a blood test request on one of those lab slips and send you off. 3 of the tests i did were quite complex and you get your instructions and do it all at home. My doctor did explain it, but it's not as easy as a basic blood draw, but worth the results. Some of the tests you don't even get a Medicare rebate and you have to claim them on your end of financial year tax return instead. I think the hormone saliva test and the complete stool analysis test were worth the money, even if i never got a cent back.
Thanks for that Audrey - I'll look them up. I'd happily pay to get any beneficial tests done too, no problem about that at all.

I've just got some labs back and started a new thread on it actually - its the SHBG thread - I dont suppose you know anything about that test do you?
__________________
Rach xxxx

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

 
Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,987
Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

Hi tygwyn - posted a reply to your SHBG thread. sounds like us hypothyroidies tend to get lower SHBG levels while the Hyper's get the higher SHBG. Should have known!! We get everything!!

 
Old 08-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 657
tygwyn HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
Hi tygwyn - posted a reply to your SHBG thread. sounds like us hypothyroidies tend to get lower SHBG levels while the Hyper's get the higher SHBG. Should have known!! We get everything!!
We sure do!!! Thanks for the reply in the other thread - you're a mine of useful info young lady
__________________
Rach xxxx

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

 
Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 657
tygwyn HB User
Re: Cortisol Testing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
Hi tygwyn - posted a reply to your SHBG thread. sounds like us hypothyroidies tend to get lower SHBG levels while the Hyper's get the higher SHBG. Should have known!! We get everything!!
We do...it sucks doesnt it!!
__________________
Rach xxxx

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
First Time Testing AM Cortisol, Test Back AlexaIn2006 Thyroid Disorders 9 01-24-2010 07:59 AM
Cortisol Testing AM JennaS Thyroid Disorders 1 01-15-2010 03:11 PM
High/normal cortisol and the FT4/FT3 imbalance....is there a connection? hopalong_too Thyroid Disorders 8 05-22-2008 05:27 PM
Cortisol testing osteoblast Thyroid Disorders 5 02-29-2008 06:29 PM
cortisol testing - did i screw up? kkl Thyroid Disorders 4 10-03-2007 05:16 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (666), midwest1 (618), FinnMaid (302), Reece (220), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), Bran'sNana (44), ladybud (41)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (856), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (771), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!