It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
hasimoto's..tt

Okay. Had another conversation with my Endo. Apparently, I have Hasimoto's and my thyroid is enlarged, multiplt nodules and 5mm goiter. (Still not sure what it all means) but....it has to come out. THen thyroid meds. If it is malignant, he said it is low risk and non aggressive, so the surgery should get it all. But they don't know that until they do another biopsy once it's out. So, I guess/hope it's begnign and that will be the end of it.

Once I'm on thyroid meds, will I feel better? Better as in not exhausted all the time? I'm hoping for some energy. But, what can you tell me about Hashimoto's? I have looked online at may clinic's site, but don't really know much about it. I'm sure I'll find out more once I have appt with the surgeon, which is next week.

Thanks for your info

mmmcoffee :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Re: hasimoto's..tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
Okay. Had another conversation with my Endo. Apparently, I have Hasimoto's and my thyroid is enlarged, multiplt nodules and 5mm goiter. (Still not sure what it all means) but....it has to come out. THen thyroid meds. If it is malignant, he said it is low risk and non aggressive, so the surgery should get it all. But they don't know that until they do another biopsy once it's out. So, I guess/hope it's begnign and that will be the end of it.

Once I'm on thyroid meds, will I feel better? Better as in not exhausted all the time? I'm hoping for some energy. But, what can you tell me about Hashimoto's? I have looked online at may clinic's site, but don't really know much about it. I'm sure I'll find out more once I have appt with the surgeon, which is next week.

Thanks for your info

mmmcoffee :-)
Sorry but going by the info you've given, I'd say your Endo is jumping the gun a bit! You have 5mm goiter, and thats the reason for taking it out?? Is it causing you discomfort? My goiter (well thyroid in total) measure 12cm before it was removed, and even at that point I didnt get a huge amount of discomfort. I also had Hashi (didnt know that until it was removed though).

Have they looked at treating with thyroid meds or is TT the only solution they've come up with?

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
Re: hasimoto's..tt

Causing some discomfort, yes. Swallowing, coughing, feels like throat is closing up sometimes. I have an appt with the surgeon next week. From what the Endo said, it has to come out because of the goiter (I would like the goiter out, they said it won't get smaller on it's own) and the number of nodules. Also, the biopsies were indeterminable. So, that need to be done again also. I asked about only taking some of it out instead of the whole thing, but he said it will most likely 'burn out' on it's own, then we'd be back at square one again having to go thru surgery again. Being that they said it had to come out anyway AND that they needed another biopsy, I thought they could take it out then biopsy it after it's out.

I have a ton of questions for the surgeon, so maybe some of it will be cleared up once I talk to him. If you have Hashimoto's, is a TT necessary? Couldn't you just be on thyroid meds instead of removing it? I think some of the reason for removing it is to see about malignancy. He said repeating the
needle biopsy would most likely give the same results...indeterminable. I don't know. I'm pretty confused by all this and guess I need to read up about it more.

Thanks for you response--

mmmcoffee

Last edited by mmmcoffee; 08-19-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread