It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

DottiesMom HB User
Doc says I am "Normal", but what do you think?

Hi all,

I recently visited my family doc because I have been feeling so run down. This has been an ongoing thing for the past few years. I first saw him about it 3 years ago. I told him that I keep gaining weight although my dietary habits haven't changed, I am feeling extremely tired, feel "brain foggy" a lot of the time, have trouble sleeping, and my hair is getting thin. I also have psoriasis. So 3 years ago he did a TSH test and it was 2.6 (ref range .350 - 5.5) and told me that I was normal. He suggested I go on the Adkins diet and get more exercise.

I am now 60 lbs heavier and still feel crappy. I went back with the same complaints and was met, mostly, with blank stares. Anyway, he sent me for labs, but also wants me to get a sleep test done and ask my GYN to evaluate me for PCOS. My lab results are below:

TSH 4.056 ref scale .350-5.500
Thyroxine (T4) 8.9 ref scale 4.5 - 12.0
T4, Free (Direct) 1.02 ref scale .061 -1.76

He wouldn't do a T3 test because he said they are not "reliable". Again, he says that I am normal, but I don't feel normal. Do you think I could have a thyroid problem? He makes me feel like it is all in my head.

He also tested me for Lyme disease, fasting glucose and A1C to see if I may be diabetic but those were fine.

You opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DM

Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User
Re: Doc says I am "Normal", but what do you think?

Hi,

I think you need to find another doctor that will listen to your symptoms and for Gods sake, run a Free T3 on you. Your tsh alone says hypo, that reference range is an old one, most are saying now anything over 3 with symptoms needs to be medicated.

I was told "it was in my head" for three years and because I went unmedicated for so long I ended up with adrenal fatigue also. You know your body better than any doctor so if your "gut" is telling you something is wrong find a doc to listen. Good luck!

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
(female)

DottiesMom HB User

Thanks for the reply Deb. I am trying to find a new doc. Do you, or most of you here, see an endo or should I look for a new family doc with more experience with thyroid disorders?

This shouldn't have to be this difficult.

Thanks again,

DottiesMom

Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There are a few really great endos around; but by and large they're awful at diagnosing and treating hypothyroidism, especially the more subtle cases. If you read through the board archives, you will find hundreds of horror stories about endos. I don't recommend them for 'simple' hypoT.

Your free T4 is lowish. A more average level for a healthy person would be about 1.2 on that range. Your TSH is also rising, which signifies trouble may be brewing. The American Academy of Clinical Endos has stated that a TSH above 3 in the presence of symptoms is too high and may need treatment. (That's actually a conservative point of view, but it's something.... and the parameters apply to you in particular.)

If your MD knew anything about low thyroid, he would know the A A C E's position on TSH. He would know that free T3 is an important level, too. Your FT4 could be adequate, but if your body isn't converting it to T3 at an adequate rate, that would leave you dragging and with lots of hypoT symptoms. Plus, he would know that the T4 (thyroxine) test is the one that's "unreliable". It has an error rate of 20% and shouldn't be relied on in women who take estrogen preparations. Don't let this fool keep telling you it's all in your head.

A holistic type of doctor may be the best for finding subtle cases of low thyroid. Are you familiar with osteopathic doctors (DOs)? They are the most mainstream of the "alternative" practices... so mainstream that most insurers reimburse them the same as MDs. You could look for a family/general practice DO who treats lots of thyroids. You could also look for an MD or DO who prescribes Armour Thyroid. Most MDs refuse to prescribe it, but any one who will is more likely to think outside the textbook 'box'. Armour Thyroid offers a physician finder list of physicians who prescribe it that you can check for one in your area.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

I agree, you need a new doctor! I'm on #3 and even though he's a "tsh" only brand dr he still agrees the tsh should be as low as possible, especially with Hashimoto's. He sd he doesn't want me bouncing with alternating doses like the other endo did to me. He believes in treating "symptoms" and will let me go under 1 if I feel better, because with Hashi's one "flucuates" so with a low tsh it helps with the peaks and valleys. My new doctor is very young maybe that might help in finding a better suited doctor?
Hysterectomy

Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

The only thing I would add is to have all your iron levels checked:

ferritin
TIBC
B-12

You could have symptoms overlapping with thyroid if you are even slightly anemic.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
(female)

DottiesMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Are you familiar with osteopathic doctors (DOs)? They are the most mainstream of the "alternative" practices... so mainstream that most insurers reimburse them the same as MDs. You could look for a family/general practice DO who treats lots of thyroids.
The funny thing is that my doc is a DO....go figure! Anyway, thanks for the reply. I am going to check the Armour site for a doctor in my area. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

DM

Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
(female)

DottiesMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1234 View Post
The only thing I would add is to have all your iron levels checked:

ferritin
TIBC
B-12

You could have symptoms overlapping with thyroid if you are even slightly anemic.
Thanks for the reply Sue.

You know, he did mention that I could be anemic but he didn't check any of those things when I went for blood work. I will ask the new doc, when I find him/her, about it.

Thanks,
DM

Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Doc says I am "Normal", but what do you think?

sue1234 what is
Quote:
TIBC

One question Doc "if its NORMAL, why do I feel this way??

midwest ~ 1.2 for T4's ? ?

Must dig out my FIRST labs 10 days after surgery. I believe I'm 1.1 THERE.
I've dealt with

Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
(female)

DottiesMom HB User

TIBC = Total Iron Binding Capacity

"if its Normal, why do I feel this way"

That is pretty much what I said. I think my exact words were....I don't feel NORMAL.

Last edited by DottiesMom; 08-20-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Closed Thread