It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

trying2bhopeful HB User
Please take a look! Out of answers...thyroid???

Earlier in the year I went to the doctor because I was tired all of the time and gaining weight. He ran tests. My levels were normal. Since then, Feb. 2008, my symptoms have gotten worse. Now my skin is dry, extremely dry! Especially my face. I am still sooooo tired. I have been trying to lose the weight I have gained. My calories are at the most 1200 at least 5 days a week and I am exercising. The scale won't budge and I am frustrated!!! I have swelling (most noticeably in my hands) every morning when I wake up. What could be wrong with me? I am now thinking maybe it is my thyroid after all. Also, mom, m's 2 sisters and brother ALL have hypothyroidism. When I was tested my levels were:
TSH -- 1.392 and
T4 Free (Direct) .83

I realize they fell in normal range. Could this be thyroid related or any ideas what else might be causing this?
Any help would be tremendously appreciated!!!

Last edited by trying2bhopeful; 08-20-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Please take a look! Out of answers...thyroid???

You're on to something. Your family history seems to have cursed you.

Even though your TSH is maddeningly "normal", your free T4 is very low (according to the typical lab range of .8 - 1.8. Please let us know if your lab's range is different, and always include those ranges when posting your results). Almost no one feels well when T4 is that low.

Also, your free T3 needs to be tested. Since you have such a strong family history, you need antibody testing for TPO and Tg antibodies. The familial form of hypoT is usually caused by an autoimmune disease know as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and the presence of antibodies would confirm that. Antibodies also suppress TSH, which could account for your "normal" TSH in the face of low free T4. Some doctors will begin treatment if antibodies and symptoms are present, even if TSH is normal and the free Ts are low-normal.

The main thing you should know is just how many MDs don't recognize and won't treat the cases of hypoT that don't fit the textbook; but if you seek enough opinions, such obvious cases as yours will eventually be caught.

Don't give up on this! Take it to as many MDs as you have to to win a diagnosis. I was also told my levels were "normal", but I knew they weren't and didn't give up. I got my Hashi's diagnosis from an endo. A family practice MD is now treating it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
(male)

Marty84 HB User

Google a condition known as Wilson's Temperature Syndrome.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
(male)

Marty84 HB User

Research the internet for a condition known as wilson's temperature syndrome

Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
(female)

trying2bhopeful HB User

Hmmm...
Thanks for the input.
Also, I was reading your basal temp. could be in indicator of hypoT? I checked mine this morning, 97.2 (under the arm). I don't think that is low is it? I read so many different "normal" ranges for it.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
(female)

trying2bhopeful HB User

Sorry, I missed the "My temps the last 4 days" thread!

Old 08-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
(female)

lcarter6 HB User

I'm not saying that this is what is wrong as it is rather rare, but possibly something at least to ask your doctor about: Central Hypothyroid. TSH is normal to normal-high, FT4's are low. Most hypo is Primary Hypothyroidism and more readily and frequently detected. But, Central Hypo is missed if all the doctor runs is a general TSH screening. This kind of hypo starts with a pituitary problem.

Closed Thread