It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
(male)

Doog HB User
Hyperthyroidism cause other metabolic problems?

Can hyperthyroidism cause other metabolic problems (i.e. with the adrenal,pituitary glands, etc.?)

Last edited by Doog; 08-20-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: left something out

Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism cause other metabolic problems?

All those areas are pretty much linked when it comes to thyroid issues. Some people for some reason will only have a problem with their thyroid. Others will have a combined thyroid/adrenal problem and it's likely someone else could be suffering with pituitary/thyroid/adrenal issues.

A lot of doctors don't test the adrenals, but i've often read reports given by doctors on the net that adrenals and thyroid should be tested prior to giving thyroid meds. My doctor tested everything possible prior to starting me off on thyroid meds, even my digestive system via a stool analysis.

Often people will also suffer from a slower metabolism, which medication should help out. My doctor also advised me to buy some isolate whey protein and use it every morning to help speed up my metabolism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Where would you buy "isolate whey protein"?

More than 70 yrs ago, my mother fed me whey for colitus (sp?) when doctors had given up. I don't know how she happened to think of it.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
(female)

Myth HB User

hi eagle isolate whey protein is usually available at health food shops or sports/fitness shops

hi Audrey you are lucky to have a doctor that tested for everything possible
....would he be in Melbourne ?

Old 08-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Thanks, Myth.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Yes, it can cause other metabolic problems. Over the long term, you could almost say it uses up some of the bodies resources. It can affect the bones by disturbing the calcium metabolism. It can cause a secondary diabetes by putting a large demand on the beta cells in the pancreas. It can cause a disruption in the kidneys resulting in a metabolic acidosis which in turn causes even more bone loss. Hyperthyroidism can really muck with the metabolism. That's why it's so important to treat it so that people don't suffer the long term consequences.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

accessn12 - i totally agree with your post. I'm coming across more and more information like that. It's so important to make sure all bases are covered and not to simply be on thyroid meds alone.

Myth - no my doctor is in Sydney. I was sent to him after my Trichologist was trying to help me with extremely low ferretin and hair loss issues. He discovered my Hashi's and knew of a doctor at a University who takes on very small groups of people who have odd symptoms. I have come across other people who have ended up with these types of doctors. Not sure if they are some type of research/professor type doctor.

He does things differently in that he tests a certain amount of things prior to medicating the thyroid. Apart from that he isn't that radical, just that he is part of a small group of doctors who believe that symptoms should be looked at rather than mere test results, which is what used to occur prior to 1973. Then when these new whizz bang forms of thyroid testing came onto the scene, thyroid symptoms went out the window.

I'm a bit of a weird case as looking at my thyroid figures no doctor would have medicated me, nobody had ever checked my vitamin D or iodine or thyroid antibodies until the Trichologist did. Everybody was telling me my stomach bloating was due to dairy intolerance when all along it was inability to digest protein. I know bloating can be linked to dairy intolerance, but until someone did a stool analysis i wasn't going to get any relief. So these things, plus some other things is what the doctor at the University was looking for at that time. Must have had my guardian angels looking after me

Yes, isolate whey protein can be bought at a healthfood store. There are loads of different whey proteins out there, you need to buy one high in whey protein and the isolate whey protein is best for that. I think it has all/most of the fats and carbs taken out of it. It doesnt taste bad mixed with just water if you are looking at cutting back on the calories from dairy. In Australia there is one called Metagenics, Bio Pure which i got at a Go-Vita healthfood store. It's 98% protein. You should never mix protein powders with warm/hot liquids as this destroys the protein content. Tap water/room temperature water or cold water/milk from the fridge is fine.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
(female)

Myth HB User

thanks Audrey, looks like the kind of doctor I need as I cant get treatment for my thyroid...they either tell me its normal or not bad enough to warrant treatment and never mind about the symptoms and dont you just love those inaccurate tests they have these days

Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Myth - yeah i know how you feel. It took me minimum 7 yrs to get diagnosed and today i was at my local medical centre as i have the flu and i got into a discussion with another patient who was waiting (what's with these 2 hr waits to see a gp!!) anyway she told me it took her 8 yrs to finally get diagnosed. One gp even told her she had the flu and she should go home a pop a couple of panadols and all along she had a thyroid problem.

I've read of a few people on the boards in other countries who are seeing doctors in Universities. Maybe you could enquire about some in Melbourne. I'm seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks, i can ask him whether he knows of anybody in Melbourne if you like?

My saving grace was finding the Trichologist, who i visited as a last resort as i felt i had nothing to lose as no other doctors appeared to be helping any of the symptoms i was experiencing. He took things seriously and truly got the ball rolling and there was no more messing about.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #10
(female)

Myth HB User

hi Audrey, it wouldnt hurt to ask your doc if he knows someone knowledgeable about thyroid dysfunction ...although I think I have seen most of them here....Im currently self medicating and I think Im on the right track
fingers crossed I might just get by without any docs

Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Audrey-B: with you having a problem digesting meat protein, does taking the whey protein solve your protein issues? In other words, can you digest the whey? I ask because I have bloating issues too.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Myth - i will ask him and see what he says. How do you mean you are self medicating? sometimes we know our own bodies best and medical science somehow doesn't do us much good. We know what we feel and what works.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 - the isolate whey protein is giving me the protein i badly need. Who knows how much protein my body was actually able to absorb and for how many years. The why protein is also to help boost my slow metabolism as protein at breakfast speeds up our metabolism among other things. It's the best time to take protein.

The whey protein has got nothing to do with helping my bloating etc I'm on prescription digestive enzymes called Creon Forte. These enzymes help digest all forms of protein as my pancrease does not produce sufficient enzymes.

Bloating, IBS and a heap of other symptoms are not simply related to one thing. If you look up for instance protein malabsrobtion there should be sites that go into how it all works and affects you, but it will also talk about malabsorption of fats and carbohydrates as these can have similar symptoms. Not being able to absorb carbs leads to lactose intolerance in people and will cause bloating too. It's best to get a stool test done to see whether this is what is occuring to you and what you are/aren't digesting as just giving a doctor a list of symptoms is too vague. I was told for years that i was dairy intolerant when i'm not, it's a simple matter of insufficient enzymes to digest protein.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #14
(female)

Myth HB User

Audrey , I am self treating with vitamins,minerals & herbs since I have seen at least 6 different doctors & I have been diagnosed as sub clinical hyper, hyperthyroid, hashimoto, hypothyroid
even tho my labs are consistanly low tsh with high t3 & t4 but within range
and none of the docs think its bad enough to warrant treatment
of course they dont take any notice of my hellish symptoms & a multi nodular goitre, which hasnt changed in the past few years ,(hopefully its the self treatment)...but I find almost anything can cause flare ups of symptoms
and would like to find a doc who is knowledgeable about thyroid dysfunction...and reign in this thyroid that keeps threatening to runaway

Old 08-29-2008, 03:25 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Myth - did the doctor diagnose you with Hashimoto's and didn't medicate you??? That doesn't sound good.

Most of these doctors are not going through what most of us have experienced. If they did, they then wouldn't hesitate to medicate.

I wonder if we should all be writing to whoever is the Minister of Health. I can't recall who that is since Kevin07 won the election. Maybe the doctors are under no pressure to change and non of us are complaining, except to one another.

Closed Thread