It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
(female)

bittygirl HB User
Amour alternating doses

Ok,
my endo lowered my armour again. previously 2 months ago my TSH was 2.8 and had low T4 and T3 (had someone else test this) feeling aweful so went to 60mg. Well now my TSH is down to 0.09. I feel great this time and havent felt this great in years but I am a bit jittery and anxious like and kinda spazed out with enegry and shaking a lot. My endo lowed it to 55 mg but with alternate dose. One day I take 60 and the other day I take 45. I will start this tomorrow. Im trying to get my TSH to a little bit less than 1 because I think thats where it should be and not 2 or higher. Im hoping that my TSH will go up. She is testing me again in 2 months, does anyone know if it will take a long time to get the TSH back up? it droped so quick but the last time I was around 0.09 I had fatigue and felt aweful and no dose would help even with my TSH at 1 and it took 4 months to get the thing back up to 1 or so. Im a little baffeled but I think im getting closer to the dose that I should be on. I am doing a home Free t4 test tomorrow just to see where that is at while I was on the 60mg and feeling pretty good.
hmmmm. This is all so strange. 45mg my TSH is to high at 2.8 (with low free t4 and t3) but 60mg its to low at 0.09.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Amour alternating doses

i thought that if on armour, it is not appropriate to go by TSH values. i'm sure someone else could confirm/contradict that. that might explain why your TSH values are so strange and shifted so quickly. i'm almost 100% positive TSH is not to be consulted when on armour and other dessicated thyroid hormones.

i think its good that you are paying attention to how you feel, and that your sense is you are getting closer to the right dose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

When you're taking Armour, trying to judge how you feel per TSH is like trying to judge how you'll feel per whether the sun comes up that day. One has nothing to do with the other.

For example, my own TSH while taking Armour has never been higher than .02 in the last 3 years. By all accounts, I should be bouncing off the walls hyper, but I'm not. Thankfully, my doc knows that TSH doesn't matter while taking Armour, and one has to dose according to the free Ts. Pity your endo doesn't appear to know that.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
(female)

bittygirl HB User

thanks
im fed up with the doc and going to look for a new one. is there info somewhere that I can show her that Armour is suppose to be done by Free T 3 and t4 rather than TSH? i called forest labs and they directed me to the armour website which I found a pamplet on armour that said to test TSH, free 3 and 4. Basicly it should all be looked at for the big picture. But nothing about just doing the T4 and t3.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i know i've seen it in text in some of the thyroid books i've read. either 'thyroid for dummies' or 'living well with hypothyroidism'. those two, as well as some others have been mentioned here as good references. go to your library and check them out, if only for the armour/tsh reference but also for other helpful information.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

Another book which says with 'much gusto' and adamantly that you cannot use TSH values for treatment of thyroid is the book 'Stop the Thyroid Madness'. I'm reading it right now and it's excellent.

Also, having a french background, i got a kick out of your typo..... "Amour" which means "love" in french.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Bitty... In the following thread, MKGBrook posts the reasons T3 drops TSH. Most importantly, she lists the references from scientific papers that explain it! Hope it helps...
Look specifically at posts #36 and #37;
[url] http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479&page=2 [/url]

Closed Thread