It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
(female)

lucy2 HB User
Quick question for long time hypo people

Does it make a difference on when you take your synthroid before a blood test? I feel like I am now hypo since a tt in june for the treatment of graves. I am tired all the time, getting a pot belly and gaining weight like crazy...but...when I had my blood taken in august, after being on 1.0 of synthroid, my tsh was .10 (.50-5.0 normal range). I had taken my med in the morning at 7:30 and had blood drawn at 9:45. Did that have anything to do with the low tsh? Now the doctor has lowered me to .75 of synthroid....I am so shocked at the hyper reading. I cant imagine what .75 is going to make me feel like. Can I call him and tell him what I did....take the medicine right before a test? Could that have made a difference? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
(male)

mandarintje HB User
Re: Quick question for long time hypo people

My doctor tells me to always come before eating anything and without taking my meds. So I go first thing in the morning.

I know exactly what you mean....
My thyroid is tiny according to my endocrinologist. He explained that in order to feel better, I will probably have to be slightly hypERthryoidic on paper.

My GP however keeps wanting to lower my L-Thyroxine in order to keep me within normal ranges (on paper). But I know my body, and I certainly gain weight when I'm on anything less than I am. Even now, I sometimes lack energy and still have to really watch what I eat, and I'm on 100mcg T4 and a combo tablet of a further 100mcg T4 +20mcg of T3 (novothyrol).

I think my problem is really the conversion of T4 to T3... but I'm dealing with a bunch of monkeys here and I'm afraid to ask them in case they lower my dose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Your doctor shouldnt be dosing you based on your TSH!

What are you Free T3 and Free T4? Thats what he should be tracking...especially after a TT!

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-21-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygwyn View Post
Your doctor shouldnt be dosing you based on your TSH!

What are you Free T3 and Free T4? Thats what he should be tracking...especially after a TT!
I always wonder, what is TT

Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejenny77 View Post
I always wonder, what is TT
Total Thyroidectomy - removal of thyroid

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
(female)

lucy2 HB User

He refused to test those. My ft4 was pretty good before my tt. In fact I thought I felt better on methimizole than the way I feel now.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy2 View Post
He refused to test those. My ft4 was pretty good before my tt. In fact I thought I felt better on methimizole than the way I feel now.
he needs a reality check, then. Free t3 and Free t4 are fairly standard. i'd get assertive with the doc about having him make an order for those, to be checked regularly, or find another doc.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

To answer your original question -- If the dolt is only testing your TSH, you can take your Synthroid before the test. It doesn't affect TSH. It only affects free T4, causing a temporary spike for a few hours.

But I agree with the others... You need an MD who will test your free Ts each time, otherwise you'll keep having results like you're having... Feeling poorly and wondering why.

Closed Thread