It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
(male)

james_wv HB User
Just diagnosed....more questions

I posted the other day and I have more questions.

Background: TSH currently 4.6. It was 3.6 in March and 4.0 last summer. I have no symptoms at all of hypothyroidism. I'm a 51 yr old male. I'm on Benicar & Dynacirc for high blood pressure, Protonix for stomach acid and Strattera for ADD. I'm a 3-year prostate cancer survivor (radical prostatectomy July 2005). My 44 year old sister has been hypo for years (TSG 139 at diagnosis) and is on Synthroid.

My doctor (general practice) says I don't need to take anything now if I don't want to, just watch for symptoms and get TSH check every 4 months. She said going on something now could make it easier than waiting for when symptoms show up. I asked checking about T3, T4, free T3, free T4, antibodies, etc. She said we could do that but it's expensive and with a just above normal TSH it may not show much.

My questions:
Should I ask for referral to a Endocrinologist now? Later (if symptoms begin)?

Is she right that more detailed testing won't show much now? I found and survived my prostate cancer because it was found very early - I had a PSA test 2 years before I should have been tested. My mindset is to get as much info now and improve my chances if it would be thyroid cancer - if it can be detected now.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks....

Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Just diagnosed....more questions

i would request Free t3, Free t4, and a test for antithyroid antibodies (will show if you have hashimoto's or not, the most common reason for hypothyroidism in developed countries). TSH is somewhat helpful along with these other results, but by itself is not worth much.

i didn't catch your other post - what brought you to be tested for TSH if you are having no symptoms? just curious (is it due to your family history?)

i don't have much faith in endocrinologists, so i'm not telling you to rush out and get one unless you can get a solid referral from a trustworthy source, or can find one who specializes in thyroid function (it seems most endos specialize in diabetes and poo-poo thyroid problems). or, if your gp doesn't feel it necessary to run these other tests i mentioned, get an endo who will.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread