It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Estrogen dominance

I've been reading a lot since my labs showed I had "high e2, estradiol". My endo tried to pawn off hrt on me, estrogen! I refused. Most of us ladies are low on progestrone which effects the thyroid!!!!!! I've had a hysterectomy, 25yrs ago and have suffered with so many issues. The insomnia, the bloating, weight gain etc are not just thyroid symptoms but lack of progestrone from what I've read. So---natural progest cream for me!! Time will tell? but I am sleeping better, and not so bloated. It can't hurt if estrogen is out of whack? that's why its called "pro" it acts to balance out estrogen. Most md's say we don't need progestrone only estrogen , nope!!!For me it just might be what made my thyroid issues and hashi's? who knows which came first but just wanted to pass this along for those with unresolved issues, like me.
Hysterectomy

Old 08-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
(female)

noodles3 HB User
Re: Estrogen dominance

I didn't know progesterone affected the thyroid. Can you tell me more? Is it possible to reverse Hashi's while on progesterone? I ask because I take it currently and I do believe the menopause journey and thryoid issues can be related for some of us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Noodles, something about estrogen receptors effecting adrenals and thyroid function I read. But the symptoms listed are so "thyroidish" too. My pcp never would ck my hormone levels because I had a hysterectomy, saying they would be very low! well, endo #2 ran them and behold I was over the high limit! all my doctors were stumped? even asked if I was sure they removed both ovaries, dah, yep, ck my reports when they did ct of my abdomen yrs ago! Anyway, too much estrogen is not good and they've brushed me off saying its just menopause. When the ovaries stop functioning estrogen can go up trying to make up for the lack of, thus dominance. So they say even with a "tubal" one can lose progestrone from atrophy of the ovaries due to lack of blood flow. Taking them out totally really floods the confusion...All I know is I want less estrogen in me!!! especially since I've gotten new microcalcifications on my mamo, biopsied but worries me? Read about progestrone and estrogen dominance. At this point I'm up for anything that will help me! this t4 stuff is not doing the trick! I'll study and experiment til something works!!!! Maybe I'll figure things out for them?
Hysterectomy

Old 08-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
(female)

Mafalde HB User

Hi Kindspirit:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was in such a state of anxiety and about ready to check myself in to a psychology clinic that I didn't think about my progesterone cream. I have used it in the past and it always helped. I used it last night and again this morning and what a difference already. You are a lifesaver. There are so many things that affect us in so many different ways. That is why this board is so important - we learn so much from each other - so much more than our doctors ever tell us.

Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mafalde, YOU made my day!!! we are all in this together!!! That's what it's all about, helping one another. The whole "healthcare" is so mind boggling...it's sad we have to "study" but, dr's don't have the time. I just feel in my heart, there is a reason to all our issues. One just doesn't get "anxious, depressed, and the host of symptoms" for no reason!!! Especially us females!!! I always felt my hysterectomy put me into this spiral!!!thus "hormones"!!!! is progestrone the answer? I don't know, but it sure makes some sense!!! we were given these "parts" for a reason!! and if they are "plucked out" early or altered by birth control pills, surgeries, its no wonder we have issues!! in the old days women died younger and text books didn't have to figure all these other issues that might alter things?? It does make some sense, in puberty we had such "emotions", pregnancy, birth, etc etc, its "hormones"!!!! the thyroid is a hormone producer, the adrenals etc etc we need BALANCE!!!!!!! It sickens me to see so many hurting when there is an answer!!! now to keep studying and finding the balance. I think we are on the right track!!! Men don't go thru this!! I'm looking at dhea too, but too afraid to add that at this point, although I've read many feel great with it, gotta be cautious with steroids!! For now, natural progestrone and give it a little time and see? I'm so glad you feel better!!! I too, tried it in the past and felt better, even an old obgyn sd she had many patients who swore by it!! You are not nuts, lets work at getting balanced!!! or atleast a bit slanted, lol. Thanks again, hugs, cj
Hysterectomy

Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
(female)

Mafalde HB User

Hi Kindspirit: You said it - we females have to go through it all. My first episode with a hormone imbalance was in 1980 and it was a nightmare - thank goodness my ob/gyn hung in there with me and tried some different things to get my hormones balanced. When I first tried progesterone about eight years ago, I was amazed that it worked so well. Since I am all through with menopause I just didn't think of it working with the thyroid - so glad you brought it up. You saved me.

Take care of yourself. Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
(female)

Jelohi HB User

Hi ladies! I was just coming here to check this very issue out!

I have been on Armour (Hashis) for a while now & my Doc says my levels are good now, but I still feel like crap, so he just started me on Prometrium & ordered hormone tests. I sure hope it helps! From what I've been reading, it sounds good! Some women actually need less thyroid after they get their hormones balanced!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

duplicated
Hysterectomy

Last edited by kindspirit; 08-23-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: error

Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jelohi, wow, that's great you have a doctor that will delve into hormone issues!!! my darn endo, when seeing my high estradiol, gave me a script for "estrogen"!!! dah, I threw it away. Most dr's think we only need estrogen and totally disregard progestrone. Are you post menopause? I hope all women get their hormone levels checked!!! I was shocked to see high readings after 25 yrs of no hormones! no wonder I've been such a mess
Yes, I've read that with "balance" thyroid function is better, might just be why we have thyroid problems Keep us posted on how you feel with that pill!! I've gotta stick with the cream, hope its strong enough? Good luck with your healing journey ladies!!!
Hysterectomy

Old 08-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again, just wanted to pass on some good info I read about how estrogen dominance is associated with Hashi's: Dr Lam-- just do a search and read far down at the bottom under the menopause symptoms etc. The more I read the more things are making much more sense!!!
Hysterectomy

Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
(female)

Jelohi HB User

Thanks Kindspirit!

Thanks to this board, I found my wonderful Doc on the Armour website!

I'm 42 & I don't think I'm premenopausal yet, but I've got a Mirena IUD & I've been attributing my lack of periods to that, so who knows? The progesterone starts declining before pre-menopause I guess.

I just read that article you referenced & that was very interesting! It's quite likely my Hashis could have been caused by estrogen dominance! I was on the pill for many years & am overweight, so I'm a prime candidate. I don't have a lot of the PMS symptoms though & didn't have any trouble getting pregnant in my late 30s (I have a 2 and a 5 year old - ya stress may be a factor!).

Been on the prometrium for 6 days now & not really feeling any different. Any idea how long it should take?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jel, no don't know how long it takes? I've read up to a few months of continuous usage. That's great you found an Armour dr!!! I plan to scope one out once I move. I'm sleeping much better, might be the increase in med or the cream???? I'm experimenting with using the "no dye, 50's" pills, due to extreme fatigue and joint pain. Wondering if the dye is the culprit? I've been worse with fatigue since I went back on 75's. So much to learn, but, dr's deny "side effects" so gotta trust our own bodies. Yep, I bet the birth c pill causes a lot of "imbalance", hope you feel better soon!!!!
Hysterectomy

Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
(female)

Mafalde HB User

Hi Kindspirit: Am so glad the "estrogen dominance" thread has been helping other people as well as me.

Do you have Hashi's? What were your symptoms before starting the cream?

I took another blood test on Friday and see my doc on Wednesday. If my labs aren't any better, I am going to request cortisol and adrenal testing.

Hope you are feeling better.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Maf, my endo did "cortisol" testing but did it late in the day and sd all ok? I know if done in the am they may have caught something? I'm dead til afternoon!!! Since the cream, well, not as "stressed" and I'm right in the middle of a possible move! selling my home and going back to Fl. The fatigue is real bad right now since upped to 75mcg. But, for me, anything to bring back sleep is worth this hell. My lymph node has been enlarged, same side as the thyroid issues, so that has me a bit concerned. Endo u/s it and sd yes its enlarged. I'm hoping its just a sinus deal? The darn biopsy of hurthle cells keeps me worried? But for now, I'm plodding ahead to get "settled" in a new home and relieve some financial woes etc. Anyway keeping with the cream and the "white pills" synthroid. Hope you get some help with testings!
Hysterectomy

Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
(female)

Mafalde HB User

I'm sorry you are feeling so fatigued. I know the move probably isn't helping either. Thank goodness the cream has helped with the stress. I guess you will have to look for a new doc when you move also - what a pain.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

Closed Thread