It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

Spirits50 HB User
Cytomel?

I have been hypothyroid for years and have been on various doses of Synthroid, I was taking 50 mcg, last dosage, then bumped to 100, but my tests came back all out of whack. My TSH was 101 ,and my T4 was over 100 as well, my internist sent me as a rush in patient to an endo, he cut back the dose of synthroid to 50 and out me on 25 of Cytomel, it is week 2 and now I am all jittery and my heart is racing. The gastro doc is in on this as well to why I am not processing the synthroid, I feel like poo, I have not had an appetite in about 4 months, but no weight loss, until this week. NOw I think they have over dosed me. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Cytomel?

i have not tried any t3 medication yet, but from what i've read, isn't 25mcg of cytomel a very high starting dose? i've seen people start on 2.5 or 5.0.

and for your synthroid, a bump from 50 to 100 is really a lot. that's doubling it up with no slow increases in between! yikes, no wonder you're having palps.

its my opinion that you are on too much cytomel. 50 synthroid sounds good for now but double check that cytomel dose. that seems awfully high for a starter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree. That Cytomel is the equivalent of 100 mcgs of Synthroid. So you're now taking the equivalent of 150 mcgs of Synthroid only. I guess he's thinking "The T4 is excessive; let's give T3 instead." I question whether the ratio he's using is going to get the job done. But that's a lot of T3 to give at the outset. No wonder your heart is flip-flopping and you have the shakes.

Hope the endo has good answers for what seems to be thyroid hormone resistance.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
(female)

Spirits50 HB User

I am not sure what his thinking is either, my gastro doc wanted me to call back the endo to check the dose because my pulse was at his visit was 130bpm, and that was after I had taken a full mg of Xanax. I called and left a message and got a call to schedule an appointment for his NP, which I cannot get in until Sept. 2nd. What the heck am I suppose to do in the mean time I cannot continue to feel like this, I cut the dose in half this morning.
I asked them this morning what I was suppose to do, and the lady said she would have to have the nurse call me sometime today..........SO I wait again!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You were right to decrease the Cytomel. You could even halve that half again if you don't see great improvement in the shakes and high pulse rate.

Let us know what happens when you see that brainiac again.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
(female)

Spirits50 HB User

I am floored by the I got back from the endo nurse, she said well you now have an appointment for the 2nd, I was like DAH! so I asked what about the medication, she says since the gastro doc did not call them they did know what I was asking, I repeated my pulse rate 130bpm (at rest) and just feeling all over really bad, she, I said I wanted to know what the doctor thought I should I do, she actually said he had no opinion, as he had not heard from the gastro doc himself, she said do whatever the gastro doc told you, I told her told me he thought I should decrease the Cytomel but to ask the endo Doc first. I told her I did decrease by half, she says well do whatever you want to do! WTH? I just want to feel good again, I have felt like poop for way to long.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
(female)

LRT68 HB User

25 mcg of Cytomel is the pretty normal starting dose but usually they have you cut in half and take 2x/day. Did you do that are did you take the 25 mcg all at once?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
(female)

Spirits50 HB User

All at once with the 50mcg of syntroid

Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
(female)

LRT68 HB User

I am surprised your doc didn't tell you to split it up. cytomel has a short half life and is utilized quickly in the body (unlike Synthroid which is very slow) therefore they usually have you do split doses to help keep your levels more even during the day. Ask your doc about splitting it up. This is what most docs recommend and helps with the racing heart feelings too,.

Closed Thread