It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
confused hypo or hyper?

My TSH was 4.89, Dr gave me .25 syntroid, I fit the symptoms of hyper more then hypo but I see alot that says hypo. Can someone help me understand this. I also had a scan & iodine uptake to ck a nodule colloid cyst that showed up last year. This is so confusing to a newcomer. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: confused hypo or hyper?

You would know for sure if your doctor did a free t4, and even a free t3, if those were low in range, you would be more accurate than tsh alone. But your tsh if anything, points to hypothyroid rather than hyperthyroid. That is why your doctor is starting you out on hormone.

That being said, you really can't go by symptoms---I've been both for certain reasons and periods of my life, and the symptoms really overlap---you can be sleepless with both, you can lose hair with both, you can be tired with both, you can have joint pain with both---you need bloodwork to figure out what's wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks, I have an appt this thursday to see him, I'll find out more, they just wanted to start me on meds now. I would have sd hyper since I lost so much weight w/no explaination (diff Dr's) I lost all muscle mass in arms & legs & also so constipated.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i agree with reece. the symptoms do overlap. i was having anxiety attacks, sleepless nights, tachycardia, but all the while i was hypo. the body really flips out when the thyroid is out of whack and sometimes it can be hard to tell exactly which way you're heading.

it sounds like you are hypo, but the blood tests Free t3 and Free t4 will help determine what you're thyroid is up to. the TSH by itself does not give you a big enough picture to know for sure.

Last edited by scoot; 08-22-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks I guess I'll know more thurs. I will be interested to maybe find out if thats why I lost so much weight though.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

I don't know if this is mind over matter but I have been taking 25mg of syntroid for 2 days now & seem to feel abit better. I asume it's too early to tell. I know I feel like I want to eat alot more which is good since I got so skinny.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
(female)

waratah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
i the TSH by itself does not give you a big enough picture to know for sure.
Hi scoot,

I totally agree with this sentiment that TSH is an insufficient indicator alone to give a clear picture of what is going on with thyroid status.

Yet so many doc use this marker as the be all and end all to their investigations. ..ggrrrrrrr.....

**** - indeed! Perhaps reading this thyroid board ought to be mandatory research for all aspiring Endo's. What do you think?

Regards, waratah

Closed Thread