It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
(male)

ScottDenver HB User
Thyroid Dilema

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I have a favor of each of you. I want your opinion of what you would do if you were in my situation.

Heres my quick story:

I'm 28 years old. I've always felt a little strange and have never known why. Sluggish, bad memory, slow thinker... Six months ago I took a healh fair blood test simply because it was available, not because I was searching for an answer to the strangeness. When I received the results, they reveiled that my TSH level was 6.5, higher than the average range. As anyone would, I did research and learned that the strangeness could be attributed to my thyroid.

I then found a vitamin that boosted the thyroid containing iodine and other stuff. After taking it for a couple months, I felt better - less tired, faster thinking...and decided to retake the TSH test. The results this time indicated my TSH was 4.2.

However, based off these results I was prescribed synthroid of 75 mcg.

Surfing for information, I looked up synthroid and read something alarming. ...Once someone takes synthroid, their thyroid will never produce hormone as good as it once did - they would take it the rest of their life.

I realize a TSH of 4.2 is borderline high and have a dilema.

Dilema -

1.)I can take synthroid and potentially feel better but be dependant on taking a pill the rest of my days

2.)I felt better after taking the vitamin and can live with a 4.2 TSH

Here are my questions:

1.)What should I do? Was my research about synthroid dependancy correct?

2.) Does it 'feel' so much better to have a TSH of 1 than 4.2?

3.)For those that know something about synthroid, is 75 mcg a suitable dose given my TSH and age (28)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ScottDenver; 08-22-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User
Re: Thyroid Dilema

The thyroid makes what it makes. If it isn't making enough hormone, you must manually replace it in pill form. My feeling is the pill dependency issue is a non-issue. There are others on this board who can be more specific on that.

It does "feel" much better to get that TSH down to where it should be. Mine was at a 40 and at my last blood work, was finally at a 2.5. I feel tons better, but not there yet.

You are wise to ask these things. Persistence and endless questioning are the only ways to get anywhere with this thyroid roller coaster. Keep at it and don't give in to any MD if your guts are telling you otherwise.

Closed Thread