It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
seething

my mother sent me a clipping from a local newspaper. i thought you all might get a kick out of it. it's a question from a reader, in the doctor's column.

"dear dr.,
for the past six months i have had no energy. i teach third grade. my doctor checked my thyroid gland, and it turns out its not working well. i am now taking replacement thyroid hormone. how long will it take for me to recover my former energy? also, my cholesterol was high. is that part of this deal?"

and the doc's stupendous reply, "it can take three to six months for your hormone level to reach a normal plateau. thats when you'll feel like your old self again. a person with low thyroid hormone often has a rise in blood cholesterol. the level will fall as soon as the replacement hormone is working."

three to six months, eh? try three to six years! 'old self again'??? i'm on year #3 and still having all sorts of problems. how can a doctor give such a brief, misleading answer?? no mention of autoimmunity either!

i'm so enraged by this that i think i have to write to the doctor's column and educate him. oh i am SO ticked off!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: seething

Quote:
how can a doctor give such a brief, misleading answer??
I can answer that one , , ,

The Doctor writing this column is as UNinformed as the ones who've been (so-called) treating US (thyroid patients)

The 3 year anniversary of my enlarged non-cancerous surgery is just 2 months away.
Unsatisfied, I'm now seeking treatment from Doctor #6

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

waratah HB User
Re: seething

Hi scoot,

Ohhh, we're with you on this one.

Gezzz, perhaps we might all write to this ill informed individual GP and give him a piece of our mind. ggrrrrrrrr . . . . . .
I too was told that it owuld take 3 to six months, and possibly even 12 monts. But alas, now 12 months from initial Dx, and still not feeling any better at all.
Low enery, freezing xcold, dry skin, hair, nails, swollen tongue, dry itchy eyes,, IBS, Vit D deficiency - all the Hashimoto symptoms of hypothyroidim.
And I'm considered medically eythroid! Go figure that one out MR newspaper Doc! grrrrrr . . . . If I could get my hands on him, I'd just . . . . . . . . . . well you get the idea I'm sure.
Regards, waratah

Old 08-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

These doctors are kooks.

Over 5 years ago i had my first 'normal' tsh test after being on synthroid and my nurse practitioner who swears by TSH and nothing else says my thyroid is fine. (I'm pretty much stuck with this NP as there are around 5 thousand people in my city who can't even find a doctor at all due to doctor shortage.)

I'm sitting here wondering what can be done about all this? How do we get thru to them? There's a cable TV channel for just about every thing out there....cooking, golfing, home renovations, well there should be one specifically for the millions who deal with thyroid issues. I'm sure they would get a big audience.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

These doctors are kooks.

Over 5 years ago i had my first 'normal' tsh test after being on synthroid and my nurse practitioner who swears by TSH and nothing else says my thyroid is fine. (I'm pretty much stuck with this NP as there are around 5 thousand people in my city who can't even find a doctor at all due to doctor shortage.)

I'm sitting here wondering what can be done about all this? How do we get thru to them? There's a cable TV channel for just about every thing out there....cooking, golfing, home renovations, well there should be one specifically for the millions who deal with thyroid issues. I'm sure they would get a big audience.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
(female)

waratah HB User

Hi cossette2,
What's the problem with the doctor shortage in Canada?

We seem to have doc shortage here in OZ too, but mainly for our preferred locally trained docs.

Nevertheless, we seem to have plenty of foreign trained docs from India and elsewhere, and these folk mainly do a fine job, especially in our understaffed and underpaid public health system, which is absoulutely abyssmal. (sorry spelling) Many of our locally trained docs avoid public health because the pay and conditions are just so awful.

What is the policy on foreign trained docs in Canada? I wonder if foreign docs have to re-sit the equivalent local medical examinations? hmmmm, interesting.

Another point is that for a while our university system was keeping medical courses restricted to just a few of the olde established metropolitan universities, and this produced a limited supply of docs into our ever expanding population. However, more recently, newer medical courses are now being conducted at quite a number of our regional and rural universities, and there are now also multiple pathways into post-graduate medicine from nursing, science, arts, and just about any course, which has gotten right up the noses of those city based "prestigious universities".
So hopefully this may go some way to addressing our current GP shortage too.

I wonder if Canada has this type of arrangement? Or perhaps even something better?

I even considered it briefly myself too - but alas, never pursued it due to my age, health, family committements etc. arragghhh - - - - - and many more years of university study and I think my husband would have thrown in the towell too.

Best wishes, waratah

Closed Thread