It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

arizo01 HB User
pre-op monday

I'm going to my pre-op appointment with my ent next Monday and I was wondering what kind of questions should I ask him about the surgery, I already know from my last apptmt with him about recuperation time and a few other things, but I was reading in a book i took from the library and it said that people that is hypothyroid should be euthyroid at the time of the surgery, is that true? I had a blood test done last week and my pp told me that my tsh is now 1.62 (I was 12.5 when I was first diagnosed in May this year), and she said whatever he's giving you (my endo) is working, she also said both t3 and t4 were normal, didn't give me the numbers though, but she said that my antibodies were high, 693. I'm waiting for my endo to call me and give me the whole story, but my pp told me that he probably didn't call me yet because there's still 2 tests they sent to California and are not back. Any thoughts please? I'm having surgery sept the 2nd, I wanted to postpone but decided I better do it while I have the guts, if I wait too much there is always to be some excuse to not go through with it!
I appreciate any input please!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: pre-op monday

I know there's an issue if you are hyperthyroid during surgery, but I'm not so sure that there's as much as an issue if it's hypothyroid.

It's great that you are educating yourself, but try not to make yourself so crazy. My surgery was easy breezy---I hope yours is too. Just make sure to ask those questions to the surgeon before you go in, and s/he will reassure you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User

1. How many thyroidectomies do you complete each year?

2. What is your complication rate?

3. What are some of the complications that may occur?

4. How long does the surgery take and what are the various stages/steps in the process?

5. If the Frozen Section Biopsy reveals (or doesn't reveal) abnormal cells, how might this change the operation?

6. Is muscle division necessary for this operation? If so, how does that affect my healing?

7. What should I expect if it is necessary to relocate or remove one or more of the parathyroid glands?

8. Under what circumstances would you biopsy or remove a lymph node?

9. Are special measures taken during the surgery to locate and trace the laryngeal nerve?

10. Since I will be under general anesthesia, will you be inserting a breathing tube during the surgery?

11. Do you typically give intravenous pain medication and antibiotics during the surgery?

12. What type of incision(s) do you make?

13. What is your closing material (stitches, tape, glue)?

14. What should I expect after surgery? (pain, sore throat from breathing tube, side effects from anesthesia such as nausea, etc.)

15. How do you monitor calcium levels post-operatively?

16. What is the expected recovery time?

17. What sort of pain treatment should I expect in the hospital and after discharge?

18. What should I expect from Post-Operative treatment? (pain medication, suture removal, follow-up exam, etc.)

19. Is it possible to take something the morning of the surgery to help with nerves (okay, panic)?

20. How do we balance Synthroid/Cytomel levels post-op?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

arizo01 HB User

thank you guys for all your input, it is so much needed!!
I had an appmt with the surgeon before and he told me the following:
Surgery time about 1 hour
No stitches, no drain, no bandage
He perform an equivalent of 1 surgery a day every day of the week, he is probably the guy with more thyroid surgery here in the Valley
Board certified in head and neck surgery
He'll remove the whole thyroid, so I supppose no frozen biopsy there
I can't drink anything 12 hrs before surgery, so no luck with any oral tranquilizer

I hope he'll have my blood work there at his office by the time of tomorrow appmt, my endo was suppose to send it to him, my pp got a copy too and call me telling me that my levels dropped from 10.5 to 1.63, t3 and t4 normal ranges (didn't give me the #), but she told me that my TPO antibodies are high at 693, I don't know how this play for surgery, I'll ask the surgeon tomorrow. I know he'll send me more blood work so I'll be knowing more as the week goes. I already got my EKG and chest x-rays and they were normal, I have the results with me to bring it to him tomorrow. I also got an apptm with my endo a couple of weeks ago for the sole purpose of asking him about this guy, well he recommend him to me and he said go ahead he's done it a thousand times!
YOu know guys no matter how much reassurance I have I'm still scare out of my mind, I don't like surgery, I don't like anesthesia, if it wasn't for this darn follicular endoplam I wouldn't do it at all no matter how many nodules I have!!!! I rather go every 6 months and get it check but both doctors agree that the best is surgery and get done with the problem, of course they gave me the alternative but seems any intelligent being would opt for getting it out! and because they only biopsied the bigger one, 2.5cm, I still have 4 more nodules that could be problematic (or not!)
We'll see how it goes tomorrow, I'll let you guys know
Thanks a million!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
(female)

RMB HB User

Best of luck tomorrow with your appointment. Just so you know, feeling crazy nervous is ok and normal. Any surgery is a big deal and we have to rely on the expertise of the surgeon and his/her team. I hope you feel a little more at ease with after your appointment!

Let us know how it goes..
Rhonda

Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
(female)

arizo01 HB User

Well my appointment went well I guess, the doctor explained the procedure and all my question were answered. I'm having my surgery next tuesday the 2nd, I'm going nuts, can't help but think about it all the time! wish me luck!!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
(female)

RMB HB User

I'm glad to hear your appointment went well and you were able to get all your questions answered! Hope you have a peaceful weekend and let us know how things go for you.

Take care...
Rhonda

Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Appoint a family member or close reliable friend to make sure that your calcium levels get checked after surgery & you get the proper med if they are down. This got missed & my daughter has had a terrible time getting her levels back up. You've dotted all your i & crossed all your t's so go out & splurge on such comfy pj's & slippers, good reading material or music, & some yummy soft food for after the surgery. We'll be rooting for you. Fam

Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
(female)

arizo01 HB User

Here I am, trying not to get a cold, seems like it!! I called my surgeon's secretary and explain I have a post-nasal drip and my throat feels funny and my husband feels the same, seems that we may be coming down with something. Because I'm not to take any aspirin or iboprufen 1 week before surgery she told me I can take tylenol cold and flu instead and get plenty of rest this weekend. Bummer, I was thinking going somewhere this long weekend but seems that i have to stay home instead taking care of this bug. The pharmacist told me that just plain tylenol and throat drops should do the trick as long as I stay away from aspirin-iboprufen. We'll see what happens on this long weekend, hope I don't get turn back next tuesday, my surgery is schedule for noon.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
(male)

love2fishfork HB User

The exact same thing happened to me. My surgery was last Tuesday, but the weekend before I started getting this drainage in my throat. Not stuffed up, but just having to clear my throat every 10 minutes. Anyway I went ahead with the surgery and everything was fine. I am still having some drainage in my throat, and I'm not sure if it's from the surgery or lingering from before the surgery. Only bad thing is that it's harder to cough or clear your throat right after surgery.

Good luck with yours!

Old 08-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
(female)

arizo01 HB User
Unhappy Re: pre-op monday

Did you take something? I'm taking Ricola throat drops and the discomfort in the throat seems to get better but yes, I have to clear it up pretty often. I'm also taking vitamin c to help, I've been dealing with this for more than a week and told the surgeon and dismissed it as nothing to worry about. I think all the stress before surgery is too much in our inmune system!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:14 AM   #12
(male)

love2fishfork HB User

I didn't take anything for my cold (never do). Don't stress over the surgery, it's very easy. After I left the recovery room, I went up to my room and drank coffee and watched TV. I could have easily gone home the same day, but they kept me to monitor my calcium. Once I got home the next morning I was back to doing normal things without limit. I've had very little pain and have not taken any pain meds at home or in the hospital. You're going to do fine!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
(female)

arizo01 HB User

Well tomorrow is the big day, I'm so nervous, wish me luck!!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
(female)

RMB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizo01 View Post
Best wishes to you! I hope you have a complication free surgery and a quick recovery! Let us know how it goes..
Rhonda

Old 09-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #15
(male)

love2fishfork HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizo01 View Post
Haven't heard from you since your surgery - how did it go? Hope you're feeling well!

Closed Thread