It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User
Looking for answers

I'm almost thru reading the book "Stop the thyroid madness" and if what i'm reading is true, i don't understand why doctors are still prescribing synthroid for hypothyroidism. It just doesn't make sense!! I've been a casualty of this treatment and i'm 'fit to be tied'!! Don't doctors want to see their patients get well?! Why are they being so bull-headed about synthroid?

Thank you for letting me vent. I'm so sick of being sick and tired. Also with adrenal problems, it's that much harder to function cognitively and that much harder when there is stress involved and to boot we who deal with this have to put up with idiot doctors.

I will be literally be jumping for joy when i find that doctor who can help me and believe me in Canada with our doctor shortage as an added problem, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Well, I'll find that needle if it's the last thing i do and once i'm well, God willing, i'll tell everyone i meet who is having problems with synthroid and hopefully give them hope too.

Thanks for putting up with my rantings. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever in an age of information and enlightenment that there is so much ignorance out there or is it more than just ignorance, but pride and just plain MD-stubbornness??!!

This is the eve of my 49th birthday and i've struggled with thyroid and adrenal symptoms much of my life. It's cost me so much in terms of activities that i could have participated in but have been unable not to mention the high financial cost of trying so many different vitamins, supplements, etc. as well as the cost of several books and one of the greatest costs has been the exasperated looks i get from my closest friends when i discuss my health with them. I appear like the boy who cried wolf ..... i've had so many times now when i thought i finally found the answer and came up against another brick wall.

Well, irritability is a symptom of adrenal fatigue and i guess that accounts for my rant. It's comforting to know that i am not speaking to a brick wall here, but there are many who understand. I'm thankful for this board and all the help i've had here and hopefully the valid information i've received from the book **** will be the beginning of a new adventure in good health at last!!

Last edited by cossette2; 08-23-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: left out some points

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Looking for answers

i totally hear you cossette.

i've stopped complaining to my friends and family. i think they think i'm doing ok, but i'm not. a while back i felt like they were just tired of hearing about it, or thinking i'm a hypochondriac. i'm 3 years into my diagnosis, and my mother just sent me a clipping that a doctor said people feel good in 3-6 months after treatment starts. i think its her way of saying i should feel better by now. it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. doctors have done the same thing - "your numbers are normal. you should feel fine."

people don't understand unless they're going through it.

i'm waiting to start armour treatment. is that what you are planning on doing, after reading ****? i've been on synthroid without luck, and now levoxyl. they're pretty much the same i think.

was **** a really helpful book? does it offer information not found in the other typical thryoid books?

your rant and frustration is completely justifiable. rant as much as you want to here. we all understand. most endos are idiots - or maybe they're good with diabetes, but definitely lacking in thyroid dysfunction.

i really relate to what you're saying. i'm sorry it has been such a long term hassle for you. i hope you find your good doctor very soon. go get 'em!!

Last edited by scoot; 08-23-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

Thanks for your response Scoot.

**** book is amazing. I've read other books on thyroid and this one gets to the gist of the matter and supplies you step by step guides to stengthening your adrenals using HC or isocort followed by step by step guides to starting on armour...what dose to start with...when to increase the dose....if what all i'm reading is accurate and will work for me it will be the book that has helped me the most after the Bible. I have highlighted abuot 1/4 of the book so far. Janie Bowthorpe appears to have put all the info in a book to help folks like you and i who have been taking synthroid and have had no help.

I sure know what you mean too Scoot about the 3 to 6 month period after which you should feel well. Well months went by and then years went by and i'm left with 2 endos who say that all i need to do is make sure i take my synthroid every morning and make sure i take it on an empty stomach, as well as more obvious and basic platitudes. DUH!!!! How dumb do they think i am? I sometimes i feel like i should be sitting at their desk and making their big bucks and then i could get people like me the help they need. How could someone who's been to university for so many years, medical school, etc. be so unaware? It baffles me. And then there's my nurse practitioner who is my family medical doctor...when i first mentioned Armour several years back she gave me a funny look and said if i prescribe it for you, you're on your own with it.

Well, now that i've read ****, i have an appointment to see her on Sept. 9 at which time i will request Armour again and see if she's still willing to give it to me and at this stage of the game, i'll do it on my own using how i feel as well as my body temp. I'm hoping she agrees to it so i can go see her in 6 months or so and she can see the dramatic difference in me. And if this book is right about the effect of T3, my sky-high cholesterol will dramatically drop to normal levels, also i may be able to go off my anti-d's which i've been on for 20 years, not to mention my energy levels, my dry skin, brain fog, etc.

In the meantime i've ordered a supply of isocort to build up my adrenals as the book makes it clear that if your adrenals are drained due to synthroid use or other factor, you need to build them up to get the right effect of the T3 in Armour. I have tried Armour 4 years ago with one of my quacky endos and he didn't acknowledge my adrenal problem at the time and the book explains why my FT3 results were so high and yet i felt so poorly. That is typical of someone who has weakened adrenals and switches from synthroid to Armour.

anyway, i'm writing a book here.....and instead i guess i should be recommending you get the book. It's truly amazing. I've already got 2 friends here in my city who i think could greatly benefit from this info and i'll refer the book to them as well.

Well, writing this has been cathartic and i think may have even helped my poor adrenals a wee bit and i have felt encouraged by your response Scoot.

I'm looking forward to hearing good news on your behalf as well.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Looking for answers

*hugs* to you cossette - I don't GET it either

Even if we don't include Armour in the debate, WHY is it OK for me to be functioning on 65% and have no QUALITY of LIFE???
All while *they* deem everything is FINE & we are normal

Oct is the 3rd anniversary of my enlarged, non-cancerous Thy lobe being removed. In Sept, I will see Doctor #6 (<~do dr's have no SHAME??) Who WILL optimize me on Armour not just get me barely into NORMAL. Being seriously UNDERmedicated bites

Anyway,,, I plan on writing dr#5 a long, detailed letter about how he (also} let me down.
perhaps we should lower his T4's to .8 (.8-1.8) and see how HE f e e l s !!!

This will be the 2nd letter I've written to a Doctor regarding my Thyroid care.
Later, Doc#1 apologized !!! (we really NEED a *fainting* smilie )

Last edited by Suey77; 08-24-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

So sorry you're not doing well Suey. I sure hope you get the boost in Armour you need. Based on the book, "Stop the Thyroid madness" and the testimonies therein, it's amazing to read how these folks were basically in the same boat as you and i for several years, some of them decades and finally found a doctor who will listen and get them on track and now they feel tons better. Looking forward to the day when you, Scoot and I can post on this site and say: "yippee, hurray, yahoo.....

Old 08-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Looking for answers

Dr#6 is another Osteopathic. On the net, he has RAVE reviews B &

is in MY town & prescribes Armour (which I take, but am UNDERmedicated on)

Old 08-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

That Dr#6 sounds positive (if i read your message right.....my brain fog sometimes screws up what i read...). I find that interesting because i was thinking of going across the border to the US and seeing an Osteopathic doc there as well. I saw another Osteopathic doc there years ago, but he simply increased my synthroid as that's what i had asked him to do at the time...that was before i got all this good info on Armour.
Anyway, let us know how you make up. Will pray it goes well.

Reply Reply