It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

Lesa45 HB User
New Endo visit... Does this sound right?

Hey Folks, I saw a new Dr. the other day. My labs were TSH .03 and Free T4 was 1.7. He put me on 60 mg of Armour. Does this sound right? These labs were done while on 50 Synthroid for 4 months.

Last edited by Lesa45; 08-24-2008 at 06:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User
Re: New Endo visit... Does this sound right?

Based on the 'Stop the Thyroid Madness' book, you cannot use TSH to treat thyroid as it will become suppressed when your Free T3 values are at a good level where you're feeling well. 60 mgs or 1 grain is the preferred starting dose for Armour and according the the **** book, most feel well at between 3 to 5 grains of armour....but that amount is reached gradually over a period if time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I was like when I first read your post (didn't know you were already on medication ) So you were on 50mcgs of Synthroid and those labs are the previous ones on medication and you felt some hyper symptoms Maybe you should cut back on Synthroid a bit and add Armour a bit at first and see how it goes (I know some people tolerate only very small changes in their doses - like 1/4 grain when on Armour).

Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post

Maybe you should cut back on Synthroid a bit and add Armour a bit at first and see how it goes (I know some people tolerate only very small changes in their doses - like 1/4 grain when on Armour).
Someone at this board previously mentioned that Armour suppresses TSH, right? I can't remember in which thread, sorry. Just something to think about, because doctors tend to just go by the TSH, and will lower your dosage, even if your T4 and T3 are well within range, right?

Old 08-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Armour suppresses TSH, right?
Right. One may go from bad to worse if one starts dosing Armour (or any medication) based on TSH only The free thyroid levels are the ones to watch - and of course symptoms. Some people do best with a combo of Armour and levothyroxine.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-25-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Closed Thread