It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

Kris0120 HB User
Latest labs (including the free T3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hi everyone,
Just posting my latest labs.
July 30th/08
tsh 1.14 (range .4-4.8)
free t4 .7 (range .7-1.9)
free t3 3.4 (range 2.8-5.3)
I know the free t4 is still too low, but I'm pretty happy with the other numbers. I still feel like crap, but I'm trying my hardest to pull myself together. I was given amitriptylin 10 mg to take 1 pill at bedtime for fibromyalgia. I seem to be sleeping better(not waking up 2 hours after falling asleep and staying up all night like I used to.) I got a disappointing result on my fasting glucose, which I totally did not expect. I was at the high normal end and doc. said I need to lose weight or will progress to diabetes.(what a bummer) I have really been trying to lose and so far no results. I will keep trying and add walking as soon as possible. Next appt. will be to re-ultrasound neck(nodule) and regular thyroid tests in January. wishing you all health and happiness, Kris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: Latest labs (including the free T3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Yea, it looks like you have alot of room to bring that T4 up, and some room to bring your T3 up. How you feel tells alot also, as you may find that "fibromyalgia" improves as your numbers get optimized. Have you had your vit. D checked? That could be a factor in your fibro. So, what are you doing now with your med dose since these labs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
(female)

Kris0120 HB User

I am on 112 mcg of Levothyroxin, my doc. didn't increase it this time. I never had my vitamin D checked. I am taking a multivitamin every day and fish oil tablet. I was thinking about getting some calcium tablets to take with what I'm already taking. I am a vegetarian(I do eat dairy products, just not meat or fish) but eat low fat yogurt almost every day. Do you think extra calcium would be a good idea? Thanks for your response.
Kris

Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

July 30th/08
tsh 1.14 (range .4-4.8) You are normal almost optimal here.. this is due to your Ft3 levels. Your FT3 levels are out of balance with your FT4 levels.

free t4 .7 (range .7-1.9) You are at 0% of the normal range here. ANY lower and you would be secondary hypoT with respect to T4. But why?

free t3 3.4 (range 2.8-4.2) This is why.. You are approximately 31% in range you are over converting your T4 to T3. Your Ft3 is Why? Well there a few reasons the most common is adrenal insufficiency. Basically your adrenal glands may have shut down and given up. This will cause you to be hypoT in T4 and hyperT in T3 if your MDs try and push the T4 level by adding more meds.

You need some additional testing to make sure this is true. the standard adrenal function panel for hypoadrenalism involves:
ACTH Stimulation Test
ACTH
Cortisol (Saliva and Blood)
Aldosterone

If you get these tests run you will have a very thorough picture of your adrenal function. I am betting that you were hypothyroid for so long that your adrenal glands shut down. This is becoming a very common occurrence in long term under treated hypothyroid patients. Mine died for this reason. Not many MDs know about the adrenal link and many MDs are not willing to take that step and test for such an issue. I hope that you find your answers soon. Are you on a generic T4 supplement? I think the MD needs to be looking more deeply at your issues. I doubt the fibro diagnosis and am betting it is just poorly treated hypothyroidism. I am not an MD, just a chemist. But from personal experience your thyroid hormone imbalance is screaming at me to tell you to check your adrenal function.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-25-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

Kris0120 HB User

Mkgbrook, thank you for responding. I am at a loss as to what to do from here. I fought so long to get my free t3 tested, I don't even know how to begin to ask my doc. about adrenal testing. I think she'll think I'm bonkers. I can call and ask the nurse but I am doubtful my doc. will want to do this. I will give it a try. I always value your input because you have first hand experience, since you have the same issues. Wish me luck! Thanks again, Kris

Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

cathy57 HB User

Fibromyalgia is commonly found in hypothyroid patients, fix your thyroid and your fibro may go away....cat

Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
(female)

cathy57 HB User

I think you can get adrenal testing done over the internet, check it out, that way your doc can't argue with you...cat

Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
(female)

cathy57 HB User

If you're hypothyroid, you will have a hard time losing weight!!!cath

Closed Thread