It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

jencat HB User
Cytomel - anyone get sick on this?

I currently take Levothyroxine .15 mg, 1 daily. No problem with this, started with .5 about a year ago & GP keeps moving it up. Now she adds Cytomel .5mcg, and after 3 days on this, I suddenly got very sick to my stomach, started with, fine one minute, then OMG get to bathroom - going to be sick, etc. After 4 days nausea & vomiting, I thought I might have a virus that was going around, so I stopped Cytomel & symptoms stopped. It took 5 days for my stomach to really return to normal. After this I started Cytomel again last Wed, and Sat am (3.5 days later), same problem, suddenly violently ill. I stopped taking again & will call my GP Mon am, but was wondering if anyone else had this side effect?

I noticed here everyone knows their lab numbers, etc., and my GP does not share this info. Should I press her to get it? I do know she is checking for "free" values, because I asked. Also, she mentioned Hashi's, but said not to get hung up in a name, she would treat and correct the problem.

I really love my GP, do not want to offend her in any way, but cannot continue taking this drug unless I have some hope that the N&V will stop eventually.

Also, I take a very long list of meds for other problems (fibromyalgia, sleep disorders, chronic pain, kidney probems, seizure disorder, primary potassium syndrome, HBP, GERD, malignant migraines, asthma, allergies, restless legs, osteoarthritis, PCOS, bilateral Meineres disease) I think I covered everything, but you get the picture, thyroid is not my only problem, but still needs fixing.

Any opinions apreciated,
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User
Re: Cytomel - anyone get sick on this?

I'm just wondering if your adrenals are weakened based on your other health problems like fibromyalgia, sleep problems, etc. If this is so, the adrenals should be looked after before you can get the thyroid problem resolved. The "Stop the Thyroid Madness" book explains this in detail. I just got it and am reading it now and it sure is an eye opener!!!! More than well worth the 21$ in my opinion!!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

jencat HB User

Thanks, I will get the book off amazon (or other internet retailer) ASAP. Never thought about adreneals, but sounds like you may be on to something. Still waiting to hear back from my GP, called this am, hope to hear her answer today & I will raise the question of adreneals when her assistant calls.
Thanks,
Jen

Old 08-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

When you said nausea and vomiting, I was thinking low adrenals also. You would probably do well to ask your doctor to check your 8 am cortisol levels, and if kind of low, ask for a stimulation test. That will tell if your adrenals can keep up with stressors. By the way, what is "primary potassium syndrome"?

Last edited by sue1234; 08-25-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i always, ALWAYS advise people with thyroid problems to get copies of their labwork.

you can get them from your doctor or from your lab. if i had done the same prior to my diagnosis, i would have saved myself months of aggravation and panic.

i have not tried cytomel. if it was what made you sick, i wonder why you did fine on it for a year. i'd be curious to hear what your doc says.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
(female)

jencat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1234 View Post
When you said nausea and vomiting, I was thinking low adrenals also. You would probably do well to ask your doctor to check your 8 am cortisol levels, and if kind of low, ask for a stimulation test. That will tell if your adrenals can keep up with stressors. By the way, what is "primary potassium syndrome"?
Primary potassium syndrome is when you cannot keep enough potassium in your body. I have had this all my life.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
(female)

jencat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
i always, ALWAYS advise people with thyroid problems to get copies of their labwork.

you can get them from your doctor or from your lab. if i had done the same prior to my diagnosis, i would have saved myself months of aggravation and panic.

i have not tried cytomel. if it was what made you sick, i wonder why you did fine on it for a year. i'd be curious to hear what your doc says.
I have not been on cytomel for a year, have been on levothyroxine for about a year. I will get copies of the lab work from my dr, I am sure the office won't mind, it just seemed she is more interested in treatment than discussing specific blood levels. Thanks for the tip, I guess I should have known this, I just feel kind of funny asking her, since she doesn't discuss numbers. Anyway, I plan to get them now.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Doctors must "share" your medical records under pain of US law. Remember all those HIPAA forms you signed? HIPAA gives you the right to access your records. All you have to do is ask the office staff for a photocopy of your lab results. They are allowed to charge you a nominal copying fee, but most offices don't. It's smart to keep your own health file, anyway, because you never know when you might be forced to switch doctors.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencat View Post
I have not been on cytomel for a year, have been on levothyroxine for about a year. I will get copies of the lab work from my dr, I am sure the office won't mind, it just seemed she is more interested in treatment than discussing specific blood levels. Thanks for the tip, I guess I should have known this, I just feel kind of funny asking her, since she doesn't discuss numbers. Anyway, I plan to get them now.
oh sorry jencat. i misread your post.

have you talked to your doctor yet about what happened?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Jencat, I had similar reactions to T3 as you are having when I started to take cytomel. You may want to try cutting it in half and just take 2.5 for a while to see if you feel better with that. It seems that I am very sensitive to T3 and that's what I did at first to build up a tolerance to T3. Even that small amout of 2.5 made me 'quesy" at first, but over time I have been able to increase in good level for my needs. I am now on a combination of Synthroid and Armour.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
(female)

jencat HB User

Well my doc's reply to what happened was to stop the med & get another thyroid test end of next month. She knew I was leaving town end of week & did not want to spend 2 wks vacation with nausea. However, I have not taken Cytomel since Sat am & today I experienced the same thing, suddenly very violently ill. If this keeps up I will see her as soon as I get back in town (maybe sooner if I can get in before I leave).
Thanks for all your input & advice. I plan to get a copy of all labs from office staff & start my own 'file' - this is a great idea, especially since I see so many docs. I do keep my own med list & update it in computer each time a doc adds, changes or discontinues a med. I take a copy with me to each visit, so each doc knows about activity of others.

Again thanks,
Jen

Closed Thread