It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

skurburski58 HB User
need help with lab results..I'm scared and confused.help please

I posted some time back and hopefully have included the labs"ranges" please ,please help me figure them out,I don't know what they mean and if I have a thyroid problem and should find another Dr.or what.I have cried,been depressed
over this because I feel so helpless and a lone...Thanks .oh the endo Dr.looked briefly at th results and said my levels were fine...if he's right then why am I so sick. here tare the labs...please help!

Thyroglobulin antibodies <20 labs ...labs range just says <20 iu/ml
prolactin 6.6 labs range 2.0-20.0
t4 free 1.0 labs range 0.8- 1.8 ng/d L
tSH 3D generation 0.56 labs range 0.40- 4.50
T3 free 277 labs rage 230-420
parathyroid intact 25 labs range under normal guide its says my 25 in normal rage 10-65 range
Thyroglobulin anti's <20 labs range <20 IU/ml
Fsh 50.1 postmenopausal "lab range..5.0-52.3
I hope I didn't forget anything I'm newer to forums and boards-groups..I have horrible fatigue,dry skin,chronic dry eyes,thin skin, dry hair, and have a horrible time with the cold"winter".also on my blood work says my sodium 131
range 135-146
carbon dioxide 19 range 21-33
..I'm so scared and sick and I also developed higher bp and colesterol
if all's ok why do I feel so bad?? Thanks

Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: need help with lab results..I'm scared and confused.help please

i'm not sure what all your results mean, but i can tell you your free T4, while it is in the 'normal' range, is very low. your free T3 is fine, according to your labs, but it sounds like you are having hypo symptoms.

i'm a bit stumped and hopefully the more experienced people here can elaborate. i think your free T4 is too low and causing symptoms, but i dont know why your Free T3 is well within the mid-normal range. maybe it only means that it is not enough Free T3 for YOU.

lets see what others say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your free T3 is not so fine, either. Optimum for most people would be at least 325, up to 360 for some.

When both free T levels are low, but TSH is also low - especially as low as yours - it means your pituitary gland isn't working right... isn't putting out enough TSH to tell your thyroid gland to make enough of its hormone. You're hypothyroid, just not "classically" so.

I suggest you read Thyroid for Dummies by Dr. Alan Rubin. You will learn enough about thyroid function/dysfunction so that you can intelligently suggest the less obvious possibilities with your MD. MDs, especially endos, can be really bad at seeing the bigger picture sometimes. When your case doesn't fit within their neat little box, they just don't get it.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

excellent explanation, midwest. i was really curious what you'd think. could you elaborate on one more point please? skuburksi looks like has no antibodies. does this suggest she doesn't have hashi's?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot
skuburksi looks like has no antibodies. does this suggest she doesn't have hashi's?
Not necessarily. A positive antibody test is almost always a true indicator of Hashi's, but a negative one isn't nearly as definitive. Up to 20&#37; of Hashi's victims test negative for antibodies, but those 'negative' cases would show up in fine needle biopsies. Microscopic examination of the thyroid tissue is the only 100% reliable method for diagnosis, but biopsy is very rarely done solely for suspected Hashi's.

Skuburksi, I should have asked an important question ... Are you currently in treatment for hypothyroidism? Or have you yet to be diagnosed at all? Your answer could alter my response already given.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
(female)

skurburski58 HB User

I did go to the Endo Dr. and to answer your one question that you said could alter your opinion..I hope not against me " because right I feel extremely hopeless and helpless.
But anyway he said"the Endo" I went to that..all my results were within their ranges
but he also went by the old Tsh level. Thanks midwest lady

Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
(female)

skurburski58 HB User
Question Re: need help with lab results..I'm scared and confused.help please

I forgot if I posted the answer to the question asked if I was put on any treatment...the answer"no" he "the Dr.said everything was within range and
we could test again in 6 months if I wanted to,I so sick and my body is so tired all the time and run down,I'm very very concerned that if this goes much longer I could end up with some very serious health issues.And with a bad spine,osteoporosis and genetically we have a daughter with "chrons" spelled wrong:-) and my dad had that to and my brother died from Lupus so I don't want to take any chances and for some reason my test"rdw"" is low a lot
I think it means something about your blood cell"size? I get anemic easy.Thanks Guys!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

The reason my answer could have changed if you were already in treatment vs. not being diagnosed is that TSH can be influenced by thyroid meds, and that would invalidate your result of .56. Since you're not in treatment yet, my original answer stands. It sounds very much like "secondary hypothyroidism", which is caused by a faulty pituitary response.

Good endocrinologists are rarer than hens' teeth. I'm sorry the one you've seen wasn't more willing to see past the "normal" lab results. That's the way most endos seem to be.

I will tell you not to give up on this being low thyroid; but I also have to say you probably won't have an easy time getting diagnosed. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but you'll have to be persistent about it. Try seeing an osteopathic doctor (DO) instead of an MD, if you can. Or find an MD or DO who prescribes Armour Thyroid. They tend to treat more "outside the box" cases than doctors who only prescribe Synthroid.

Learn as much as you can absorb about hypothyroidism so that you can make a case for yourself to any docs you may see. Thyroid for Dummies will teach you the basics. Solved: The Riddle of Illness by Dr. Stephen Langer may give you ideas about how to get a diagnosis. When you see the next doc, make an argument about those low-normal free Ts. Say, "Yes doctor... I know that these are in 'normal' range, but maybe they aren't 'optimal' for me." That statement once made the difference for me, getting me a dose increase when my doc had said I should stay on the same one.

Five years ago, when I suspected I was hypothyroid, I asked my then-primary doc for a TSH test. He actually refused such a basic, small request. I insisted, and when the result came back high-normal, he said I wasn't hypothyroid and wouldn't treat it. The next doc I saw was an endo. To her credit, she made the diagnosis, but ultimately didn't offer a treatment that would work for me. I had to move on to my current doc to be adequately treated. It's a cruel world out there for thyroid patients, but it can be successfully survived. I once read an article by a medical doctor who said it takes an average of 6 consultations before a hypoT diagnosis is made. That should tell you how ignorant most MDs are about to this condition. It should also tell you that giving up too soon isn't in our best interests.

Hang tough and don't give up yet! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you'll find your answers soon.

Edited to add... That family history of autoimmune diseases is important. Even though you have tested negative for thyroid antibodies, it doesn't mean you don't have any. The tests have a 20&#37; error rate... meaning that you may have tested false negative. I've seen several members here who were ultimately diagnosed with autoimmune hypoT, even after negative antibody testing. Don't let any doctor tell you that you can't have it simply by interpreting what can be a faulty antibody test result.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-26-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
(female)

skurburski58 HB User

I forgot my Antibodies level was <20 and the labs just says <20 "help"!!! SCOOT

Closed Thread