It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

lovebellydance HB User
Question about Test for Hashimotos

I am supposed to get tested for Hashimotos. My sister had it and had to have her thyroid removed. My mother may have had it (drank radioactive iodine but no replacement). My TPO level is elevated. My question is that I have recently heard that if they do a nuclear med scan and it turns out to be cancer, the contrast can prevent treatment for 6 months! Should I just start with an ultrasound and/or where can I find the correct information?:

Old 08-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Question about Test for Hashimotos

i think i'm a little confused. have you been diagnosed with hashimotos yet?

has your doctor tested your blood for free t3, free t4, and tsh?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You mention a lot of testing that would be out of the norm for Hashimoto's. The usual ones are the two blood tests for antibodies, TPO and Tg ABs. It would be very unusual to have any other tests to confirm a diagnosis of Hashi's.

If you have nodules or goiter, those would be a good reason for an ultrasound or nuclear scan. If you have nodules over 1 cm in size, that would be a good reason for fine needle biopsy. FNB would also confirm Hashi's; but is rarely done just for that purpose and is discovered by FNB only coincidently upon biopsy of nodules.

If you don't have large nodules, it's overwhelmingly improbable that you have cancer, so you don't have to worry about the uptake scan.

Also, your mother would not have taken radioactive iodine for Hashimoto's. She must have had Graves' disease, which causes hyperthyroidism. Hashi's is the opposite end of the autoimmune spectrum, and it causes hypothyroidism.

Sooo... If you want to provide more details about the tests you've had so far, your symptoms, whether you have goiter or nodules, exactly what tests are being proposed and why, etc., we'll try to help more.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
If you have nodules or goiter, those would be a good reason for an ultrasound or nuclear scan. If you have nodules over 1 cm in size, that would be a good reason for fine needle biopsy. FNB would also confirm Hashi's; but is rarely done just for that purpose and is discovered by FNB only coincidently upon biopsy of nodules.
Hi, Midwest, I have done the ultrasound which has found my nodule is less than 1 cm in size. Do you think it is necessary to take nuclear scan? Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
(female)

lovebellydance HB User

In May I had blood tests done, including the Free T4, Free T3, TSH & TPO. At that time the only thing that was abnormal was my TPO at 221. My tests were re-done August 11 and Free T3 was low normal, everything else okay, except my TPO (however, they have it on this lab test as Micoso Ab is now higher at 259. Nodules cannot be palpated. My sister did have Hashimotos, my mother is 79 so she doesn't remember why the radioactive iodine. The next step my doc wanted to do was the nuc med scan. My friend says I should have the ultrasound and not a scan with the uptake?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Given what I know - which admittedly is just a layperson's understanding of thyroid imaging - I agree with your friend and would resist an uptake scan unless there are questionable nodules. An ultrasound can be revealing enough for diagnosis of Hashi's.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Closed Thread