It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

alison83 HB User
Smile 20 years Hypothyroid, never seen an Endocrinologist

Hi all,

I am new to this message board, and as you will see from the title, I have been hypothyroid for almost 20 years, being diagnosed just after my son was born. Since then I have worked full time almost the whole time (except for several months following a car accident).

In addition I have coeliac disease, another autoimmune disease, and have to follow a gluten free diet.

I take 150mg of thyroxine per day, as well as taking anti-histamines for my itchy, dry skin, and calcium tablets to help prevent the onset of osteoporosis (a side effect of my coeliac disease).

In the past 20 years, my GP has never sent me to see an Endocrinologist, although I do have regular 12 monthly blood tests (if I remember to see him - he never sends for me but usually picks up my overdue test when I next visit).

I work full time, run a house and have a family (husband, 2 teenage kids), and seem constantly tired, run down - exhausted! However, I don't sleep well, waking 4 or 5 times a night.

I have very painful muscle problems all down my left side, particularly in my thigh and calf muscles. I am currently seeing a physiotherapist for these problems, which are particularly painful when sitting at my desk at work.

My question is this - does anyone out there think I should request an Endocrinologist appointment via my GP? Do you think it would do me any good? From everything I've read on the net, I know having 2 autoimmune diseases means I may be susceptible to others, and I am wondering whether my muscular pains, lack of sleep and tiredness are something else, rather than side effects of my hypothyroidism.

Any good ideas out there? Thanks in advance for reading this long post, and replying!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: 20 years Hypothyroid, never seen an Endocrinologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison83 View Post
My question is this - does anyone out there think I should request an Endocrinologist appointment via my GP? Do you think it would do me any good? From everything I've read on the net, I know having 2 autoimmune diseases means I may be susceptible to others, and I am wondering whether my muscular pains, lack of sleep and tiredness are something else, rather than side effects of my hypothyroidism.
Hi! It just may be that your symptoms are caused by your hypoT. Have you kept up with your labs and what did your latest labs say? It might do you good to see an endo if you don't get proper treatment from your GP. Over time your hypoT gets worse and your thyroid produces less and less not only T4 but T3 (which is the active thyroid hormone) too. A large part of the T3 needed is converted from T4 in your body and if you don't convert T4 to T3 properly you may need a higher FT4 to have enough "storage" for that convertion or some sort of a combo of T4 and T3 meds.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-27-2008 at 02:32 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: 20 years Hypothyroid, never seen an Endocrinologist

Some Endo's don't seem worth the effort, but if your doctor isn't able to help you out then perhaps an Endo is worth a try.

Has your doctor ever tested your adrenals to see whether you have too little or too much cortisol? No matter what thyroid meds you are taking, if you adrenals are not functioning correctly, your thyroid conditions isn't likely to get better or you wont get the full benefit of the med's you are on.

Maybe explain your symptoms and your tiredness and sleep disturbances to your doctor and see if could order a cortisol test and take it from there. Cortisol tests are best taken early in the morning on an empty stomach and no meds till after the test.

I don't have Celiacs, but my blood test came back showing me to be a little over the maximum lab range. I do know tests can come back with a false negative/positive, but my doctor has told me to ease off the gluten. It's hard!!

Has your doctor checked other things eg: ferretin level and vitamin D. A lot of us on this board are low in those 2 in particular and find it difficult to raise. I also have difficulty in retaining iodine.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: 20 years Hypothyroid, never seen an Endocrinologist

Hi alison83 welcome ~

If your still having symptoms, and your GP is not listening then Dr. probably isn't doing the job. So YES, I would ask to see Endo.

Keep in mind that Endo's can be NUMBERS crunchers, therefore getting you INTO range & thinking they are D O N E while you're still complaining about SYMPTOMS. Some patients have good luck with Doctor of Osteopathic Med (one w/ D.O. after their name) lucky me has had a less than favorable experience with one of them too

Closed Thread