It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
(female)

keylimepie28 HB User
hypothyroid with tachycardia, possibly MVP and SVT

I was in the ER a few weeks with a rapid heartbeat. The doctor at the hospital questioned SVT. I have done some research on that and also MVP which can result in SVT episodes. My father had a leaky valve and so I thought it was likely that I have it too. The only test that came up abnormal at the hospital was my thyroid. I followed up with my doctor and was supposed to get a monitor for my heart, according to the doc at the hospital, but my doctor dismissed that and re-tested for my thyroid only. It came back hypothyroid, which explains alot of my symptoms I have been dealing with and have been feeling miserable. I was also severely amemic a year ago and have been on iron for that and it has helped increase my hemo levels dramatically. The problem is, I am afraid to take the thyroid meds because of my tachy episodes. I have had five episodes in the last two months. I didn't end up in the ER until the third one because I just shoved it off as anxiety even though my first bad episode occurred at two thirty in the morning while I was sleeping and it woke me up out of a deep sleep. It felt like one big thump in my chest and my heart stopped for seconds and then it started racing. I tried to explain my concerns to my doctor and I told him that even though most of my symptoms are hypo, I have a few hyper symptoms sometimes too. I don't tolerate the heat as well as the cold and I do get anxiety, palpitations and then sometimes my pulse is lower and weaker with low blood pressure. Other times it swings high for no apparent reason. Last year, I went to a chiropractor and he swore I had a problem with my adrenals. He did some tests and checked my Blood pressure lying down, it was 145/80 then immediately upon standing it was 118/70. It never stays regulated. I told my doctor this but he just brushes it off and passes me prescriptions for xanax, believing it's all just anxiety. Is the synthroid dangerous if I do have heart ahrrythmia episodes? Should I see an endocrinologist and cardiologist before I take any meds? I know I can't continue to leave the hypothyroid untreated for much longer but I also don't want to have a heart attack from the meds changing me from hypo to hyper. This worries me. I am supposed to go back on September 12th for my first follow up since starting my synthroid. What will my doc think when I tell him I'm not taking it yet because I am concerned?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: hypothyroid with tachycardia, possibly MVP and SVT

i went to the ER too before i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. you would think tachycardia and palps would not be a symptom of hypothyroidism, but it is. i'd have panic attacks - most often at 3 a.m. or when i was driving at night - speedy and hard heart rate. it was awful.

after they figured out my thyroid was fizzling out on me, i got put on a low dose 25mcg of generic levothyroxine. i went to a cardiologist to rule out MVP and had an echocardiogram/cardio ultrasound. things were fine.

i'm not sure if this is helpful to you, but your story reminded me of what i went through. i'm not sure what SVT is. a heart monitor can't hurt, and will at least give you peace of mind. i'd suggest an ultrasound too.

what dose of thyroid meds did the doc give you? it might be too strong a dose too soon. i went through a tachycardia event after being put on 75mcg too quickly. i dropped back down to 25mcg and then made very slow increases and was fine.

intolerance to heat was one of my symptoms as well. usually hypo is cold-intolerant but with me and you its heat. i cant bear it still.

blood pressures go all out of whack with thryoid problems too. though i was hypo, my BP was high. my BP is high if i'm on too little or too much meds.

i don't have a lot of faith in endos. i would suggest you see a cardio and have some more tests done. i'm not sure if taking thyroid hormones would be bad if you have arrythmia problems, but we're not sure if you're having arrythmia problems because of your low thyroid. you might have to do what i did. start low with tiny increases. i was on a beta blocker at the beginning of treatment which made me feel safer. maybe thats an option for you i dont know.

by the way, do you know what your levels of free t3 and free t4 and tsh are? just curious.

Last edited by scoot; 08-26-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
(female)

keylimepie28 HB User

Hi scoot and thanks for the quick response. Today I literally feel about dead, I am so weak an tired. Some days I feel ok and have some energy and other days I feel like I am barel functioning. The other day when I saw my doc, my BP was 110/60 which is the lowest it has been in a while. I was feeling a little lighheaded and just tired ever since. That tends to go up and down, it doesn't stabilize well but it's never up too high, it's just erratic in changing so much. I assume that might actually be a cortisol/adrenal problem related to the hypoT. I am not sure what my T3 was, I will have to get a copy of my labs when I see my doc next week. The only thing I disagree with is the fact that he assumes my palps and racy beat is due to anxiety, which may be partly true, but has it occurred to him that It might also be that I am just not feeling right. My other symptoms is that I feel spacy and just "off" alot.
Kind of a floating, dsconnected feeling. My hair and hands are very dry but it doesn't fall out much, I am actually afraid with the meds that it will and I expressed to my doctor that I do not want to lose my hair because I am trying to grow it longer as I am planning my wedding next yar and I think I will just cry if I lose it. I am also depressed about my weight gain, I need to lose fifteen pounds, and have always been thin with a faster metabolism. I am actually not eating enough on purpose and walking more to try to lose but I am alway hungry, what do I have to do starve myself? sheesh. So you can see I definitely have most of the hypo symptoms, oh not to mention I have absolutely no sex drive anymore, it's nothing ut a hassle to me because I am always so tired, which is no good for your relationship, I am sure. All of this but a few hyper symptoms....which include anxiety, palps, racing heartbeat, insomnia (alot lately),and spurts of energy. The prescription he wrote as for 25mcg. He said he will up it to 50mcg next time. SVT is supraventricular tachycardia. It is an episode of a racing heartbeat that suddenly occurs and abruptly ends. It can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. My heart rate was in the 160's before I got to the ER but soon it was 110 and then 84 when I was sent home. It is supposed to be common with MVP, but you can have one or the other too. I know with MVP syndrome that one of the symptoms for that is also anxiety. My doc said if I continue to have the episodes that they can be controlled wth a beta-blocker. If synthroid will increase my heart rate then I will certainly need something else to slow it down. This is perplexing, considering low heart rate is usually a symptom of hypoT; however, I have read that low ferritin is caused by hypoT also and that can cause palps. You see it could be so many things, I just need to see a cardio and get this mess straightened out so that I am not afraid of taking the synthroid. If hypT is left untreated it can also cause heart failure so I feel like I am in a catch 22 as Too much therapy can lead to heart attack if there is a cardio condition. I just don't understand why my doc wouldn't follow up with a heart monitor after I was in the hospital and the doc there said my doc should be able to do that for me.
The ekg was maybe for a minute, it doesn't show enough.

Thank you,
EM

Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

rexcatz HB User

A doctor can listen to your heart and tell if the tacycardia and palps are the bad kind depending on where they are in your heart. I'd suggest seeing a cardiologist just for your own peace of mind. You need to be sure it's not a big deal.
I was hyper and had awful palps and tacycardia. Right before I had the storm, the palps were so bad that the right side of my neck would visibly jerk out hard. In fact if I hadn't finally developed an abnormal EKG the dumb internist would have never sent me to the hospital. She was testing everything but my thyroid looking for a blood disease. Thankfully I was on 200mg of Toprol XL beta blocker. My cardiologist told me if I hadn't been on that high dose I would have died from a stroke.
Since your doctor is blowing you off on this stuff I'd make an appointment with a cardiologist now so you'll know what's going on before you go back for the follow up on Sept. 12.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

keylimepie28 HB User

Thanks rexcatz, I am sure that would be the best thing to do. My fiancee said to go with my gut instinct and if I feel like there's more to the story, I need to look further into it, so I will. In the meantime, I wonder if it is safe for me to just start taking the low dose of synthroid, because if I happen to have a cardio problem, isn't that dangerous to be on that med? All I know is I just want to feel better, I am tired of being sick and feeling like garbage!!! I just need to know if the heart problems are related to my hormones being out of whack or if it's directly related to the heart. I got scared when I read other posts and saw that the meds can turn you from hypo to hyper until you are regulated, yikes! I think I would rather stay hypo.

EM

Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

tired47 HB User

Dear Keylimepie28,
I sympathize with you completely. I have an almost identical story. I had partial thyroidectomy two years ago and since then have had "attacks". My first doctor wrote it off as anxiety, put me on antidepressants all to no avail. She kept increasing my dose til I felt like a zombie, but still had the chest pain, rapid heartbeats.
I am still working thru this for almost two years but here is some knowledge I will pass along. I went to ER several times- they pass it off as anxiety and want to medicate me.... I have FINALLY found a cardiologist who listened- Do go to an electrophysicist cardiologist. I went to regular cardio- he did complete cardiac workup including heart cath and said it was nothing. The electrocardio understands more how the heart works and found my SVT. After being monitored he said "this is not in your head."
I have borderline very low thyroid levels ( found after going to 3 endo's who refused to test anything other than TSH) This one does not want to start treatment til my heart is under control...I have appt today with cardio to get his opinion.
I wake up alot at night with chest pain, rapid heartbeat... you know all the symptoms. I am currently on verapamil but tried cardizan( ? sp)... and going to discuss trying another one today.
I have had a lot of tests, GI ( took out my GB,said that was causing my chest pain), kidney, ect. and FINALLY figured out what is causing all this.
Hang in there, be aggressive. It took me a long time to get mad and say something is not right, this is NOT in my head. I have been healthy for all my life ( quite a bit older than you) and after my thyroid surgery my life of "heck" began!! I am still working on getting better and will NOT give up til I am back to my old self. Good luck to you, keep us posted!!!

Scoot, glad to see your info. Please post anything you think would be helpful. I have felt I am the only one with the "chest issues" on the thyroid board.
I had an endo suggest a very low synthyroid dose. I posted my levels here, T3,T4 which are on the very bottom ranges. It was suggested Armour might be better- it gives you T3 which synthyroid does not. Any input?? And did your SVT get better/worse after taking thyroid meds??? Thanks for any help!!!!

Last edited by tired47; 09-10-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: ?

Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
(female)

kgood HB User

Interestingly I also have MVP and it has been suggested I might have SVT because my heart rate goes to 240's when I run. I have been fine with the MVP with regurg for many years but now it seems to be a problem. I have Hashimotos and now my thyroid seems to be going. The Cardio told me that the thyroid affects electrolytes and could cause a problem. I am also anemic and tend toward dehydration so that could contribute too. He suggested a holter for 24 with a run in that time frame.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
(female)

kgood HB User

Please keep in mind that a 15 second ecg may not show arrythmias. I have had a stress test and event monitor and they still have not determined the problem. Holter is next. There is clearly a problem with me - they just need to capture it. The "event" has to occur while they are monitoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcatz View Post
A doctor can listen to your heart and tell if the tacycardia and palps are the bad kind depending on where they are in your heart. I'd suggest seeing a cardiologist just for your own peace of mind. You need to be sure it's not a big deal.
I was hyper and had awful palps and tacycardia. Right before I had the storm, the palps were so bad that the right side of my neck would visibly jerk out hard. In fact if I hadn't finally developed an abnormal EKG the dumb internist would have never sent me to the hospital. She was testing everything but my thyroid looking for a blood disease. Thankfully I was on 200mg of Toprol XL beta blocker. My cardiologist told me if I hadn't been on that high dose I would have died from a stroke.
Since your doctor is blowing you off on this stuff I'd make an appointment with a cardiologist now so you'll know what's going on before you go back for the follow up on Sept. 12.

Closed Thread