It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

losinghope37 HB User
Unhappy Is this hypothyroidism?? Please help!!!!

I am hoping someone out there can help me determine if I might have a problem with an underactive thyroid. I've been in and out of doctors since high school--basically the last ten years of my life because I am now 25 yrs old---and have yet to actually get a diagnosis for my assortment of many long running symptoms. Every single doctor I've been to, which has been mostly MDs and Gynos and one Endocronologist has told me that my Thyroid gland feels enlarged---so then they do blood tests and everything shows normal.
I'm losing all faith in traditional doctors and really hesitate to go back and pay more money that has resulted in zero answers. My frustration is getting the best of me---I'm newly married and just can't bare to live life like this anymore---we really want to have children soon and the thought of taking care of someone other than myself seems completely impossible. In April I got off the birth control pill that I'd been on for 6 years in hopes that it would help get rid of most of my symptoms but i've yet to notice a change. If anything it's much worse!
here's a rundown of my symptoms:
--Extremely fatigued, mentally & physically
--Cannot get out of bed in the mornings
--constant brain fog and difficulty concentrating
--Always very bloated and gassy---I get a wickid pressure that goes from behind my belly button and shoots right down into my rectum---very uncomfortable
--Alternate between diarrhea and constipation
--Hands and feet will swell up alot
--Get cold very easily and then can't warm up, my hands feet and nose get so cold they feel like ice and everyone else around me is warm
--Lots of hot flashes where I can't cool down--almost feel nauseus from it and this is 100 times worse since stopping the bc pill
--Body temperature usually low around 97.6
--Dry skin--mostly around my mouth and alot like eczema during the winter
--very dry, itchy scalp--even Selsun Blue doesn't work
--have had two bouts with allopecea--once back in high school and just noticed another patch of hair growing back--other than that I have very thick hair with normal daily shedding
--depressed alot
--moody---much worse during the 1 1/2 weeks prior to my period starting
--can't lose weight and actually gaining just since getting off of pill (i usually work out at least 3-4 times a week for 1 1/2 hours doing aerobic and weight training stuff)
--blurred vision and eyes get dry easily
--can't tolerate sun for too long

I've been told I have the PMDD so my period symptoms are pretty bad for about 2 weeks every month. I just started seeing a chiropractor that does something called CRA(contact reflex analysis) which is a very natural approach to things and gets right to the base of any medical problem and he says I have something called Leaky Gut Syndrome and also that my hormones were out of whack. So he gave me natural supplements for both and so far--its been 2 months--not much has changed. If anything my hormones seem worse now.
The last time my Thyroid was checked was back in march and I was still on the bc pill. here's what they gave me for results: TSH 1.30 (0.40-4.50uIU/mL) and Free Thyroxine 1.0 (0.8-1.8 ng/dL).
If anyone has info or thoughts to share please do! I'm doing as much research as I can before going to see my MD in Sept for a routine physical. I want to have all the ammo I can to triggor some sort of reaction from her.
Thanks in advance for your replies---i really apprecaite it!

Last edited by losinghope37; 08-26-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User
Re: Is this hypothyroidism?? Please help!!!!

I am so sorry you are suffering the way you are... I really can say I know how it feels. I have so many of the same symptoms as you do and suffer daily also.

Your labs to me look like your FT4 level is quite low!! I know how I feel with that low of t4 and it is not good... You need to have your FT3 level and antibodies checked as well. I am sure there are others here that will come along and could help you better than I could. Just wanted you to know you are sooo not alone!!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
(female)

ashfox2005 HB User

Losinghope.. good luck to you.. i have been experiencing alot of the same symptoms .. and dr's tell me my labs are normal.. so im fine.. but just got told i have a goiter? Still not really getting that... But i wish you luck... Im searching for another dr. that can hopefully help me.. stay strong..
Ashley

Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

losinghope37 HB User

Katkatdd----thank you for replying and it certainly helps to know that i'm not alone. Makes me realize that I'm not totally making something out of nothing. I just wish the doctors could see that too.
As for FT4 level---I'm not up to speed with the terms--is that the same as the free thyroxine? I do plan on having my MD run another blood panel and check everything again including the T4 level and antibodies. I kind of wonder if having been on the birth control pill masked any of my blood test results. Could the bc pill up or lower my levels? So I'm curious to see where everything is at now that I've been off the bc pill for a few months.
Thanks again for replying! it's helped boost my mood!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

losinghope37 HB User

Ashfox2005---thank you for replying too! It's so good to know that I'm alone in this.
I'm not sure if you've read this book by Dr. Ridha Arem---called the "thyroid solution" or not. i just started reading it and has alot of great info that doctors just don't seem even know and most haven't ever been trained on. it covers both overactive and underactive thyroid situations. I'm only half way thru--but I'm very intrgued so far. I'm hoping it can give some other avenues to look at. These days you have to be your own advocate!
Thanks again! And good luck to you too!
-losinghope37

Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
(male)

Marty84 HB User

I am 24 years old and I have some of the sames symptoms as you. Have you thought about visiting a naturopathic doctor. It may be time for a different approach. I am going for an appointment with a naturopath next week, one who deals with a condition known as wilson's temperature syndrome ( a thyroid disease, though not many md's know about it, although there are md's who treat it). I suggest you research this condition on the internet.

Closed Thread