It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

Cathhsmom HB User
Need Dr. recommendation for Springfield, Missouri

I had a wonderful doctor in St. Louis, but I now live in Springfield. I want a doctor that prescribes Armour or Cytomel. I will never go back on synthroid or Levoxl. If I have to, I will make my drive to St. Louis to see my doctor. But I would like to find a doctor in Springfield that is good.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Need Dr. recommendation for Springfield, Missouri

Sorry I can't help, as I'm in St. Louis. I suggest you give the Armour Thyroid physician finder a try. It isn't the same as a personal recommendation, but those aren't always a sure thing either.

May I ask who your wonderful StL doc was? I see someone in Webster Groves, who has got my thyroid straightened out very nicely. But recently his halo slipped a notch regarding another issue, and I feel I may need to switch if I could be assured of moving on to another good Armour prescriber.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

Cathhsmom HB User

My doctor was Dr. Cunningham; and he may still be my doctor. I have looked at the doctors listed on the Armour site. Both doctors are not in my network, but maybe one will work anyway. One of those doctors charges 100 for a half hour consultation. I hate to see his diagnose and testing charges. He does not file your insurance and he wants full payment on the day of service. But he is homepathic. He may be a great doctor, but I can not afford him. The other doctor is part of another health network; so the worse case may be that I pay 20% instead of 10%. So the second doctor may work!

Dr. Cunningham, although he is not a registered homepathic doctor, worked wonders for me. He is an Endocrinologist. When I first went to see him, I felt like I did not have another 10 years to live. I am 46 years old now. He helped me peel an onion of problems from Sjogrens, Chronic Fatigue, hypoglocemic(?) and Celiac. He determined that my glaucoma medicine was reducing the benefits of my thyroid medicine. He placed me on Cytomel and this medicine got my Chronic Fatigue under control. He has found many vitamin deficiencies and place me on a vitamin regimin. He is humble and he asked me about different glaucoma medications that I take, because he was prescribed on them too. He listens. Great doctor!

I am spending a lot of time on finding a good doctor because my thyroid has shut down my intestines in the past (before Dr. Cunningham, do not see Dr. Etzkorn) from not being medicated properly. It amazes me how important the thyroid is. I think the thyroid is almost as important as the heart. Believe me, I do not want to go to a doctor who is going to tell me that it is in my head, only to get me to a point of shutting down my intestines from under medicating. I am not going to be placed on levoxl (sp?) or synthyroid again. And, if I have to, I will make the drive to St. Louis to keep myself properly medicated.

Blessings,
Cathhsmom

Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh yes... The thyroid is known as the "master gland". It controls every bodily and mental function in some way. The main problem I had that caused me to seek medical help was chest pressure that mimicked heart disease... and it was caused by... TaDahhh! Hypothyroidism!

There are Springfield MDs listed on Top Docs. Have you checked into them? I understand how paying out of pocket would be prohibitive. My current doc is a homeopathic, licensed MD... the only one in the state, so I've heard. I'm lucky that he's on my insurance provider list.

I've seen two members on this board say they found Armour prescribers by asking their pharmacists who sends Armour scripts their way. You might try that.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will keep it in mind for the future.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

lja75 HB User

I saw an endocrinologist in Springfield, Dr. Daniel Lyons, for several years for Hashi's. I've since switched to a doctor closer to me in Arkansas. I don't know what types of meds he prescribes, as I was not on them at the time, but I was always very pleased with his care. I believe that the clinic there always filed my insurance, but am not sure what they do now.

Best of luck in finding the right doc for you.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Not to hijack..but Midwest do you mind telling us why Dr. W's halo is askew? I'm still seeing Cindy and have been very pleased so far, but of course she is not an MD.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Heck... Haven't seen you in a while! Believe it or not, I thought about you at my thyroid check last month.

Thyroid-wise, I'm still pleased and will likely keep seeing him for that. I'm down to a once a year check now, since all is well. But I recently began having unexplained bruising, petchiae, and bleeding. Looking back at old lab reports, I found that my platelets were flagged low in 6/07, and he made no note of it at the time, so I thought nothing of it then. A net search told me that low platelets cause these exact symptoms I've been having, so I began our visit last month by bringing up the petchiae. He asked if I had any that day to show him. I didn't, so he shrugged off the whole conversation. It's the first time I've ever felt any disregard from him. (In fact, he seemed distracted and detached during the whole visit, now that I think about it.) Instead of being pushier... my Big Bad ... I decided to see what the new CBC would show before I brought it up again. It was flagged again, so he order a retest after another month. The second results failed to show platelet count at all; the tech said the platelets were "clumped" and couldn't be counted accurately. Doc's cover note with the lab report said that the bloodwork was "entirely normal". So... You can see why I'm not pleased with Dr. W at the moment. I self-referred to a hematologist whom I saw just today. He suspects an autoimmune disorder known as ITP... which is what I suspected too, after my net search. Looks like I've hit the ol' autoimmune lottery once again.

So, that's what's new with me. I hope you're doing well!

(Sorry for the side conversation, Cathhsmom.)

Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Yep - I seldom come here anymore, so I guess that means I am doing well! I am due for a re-check as they started me on progestrerone creme a few months ago and we need to see how my levels are doing with that addition.

So sorry to hear of your latest develpment and your displeasure with Dr. W (understandably so). I have never heard of ITP (still learning from you Midwest) and I'm hoping this is the last autoimmune diagnosis you will receive!

Catthsmom - so sorry I can't help you with referral in Springfield but I do have a niece who will be an ER doc there by November! I also have a friend who is seeing Etzkorn whom I suspect is undermedicated but I have not seen her labs yet. She has had her thyroid removed, is still symptomatic, and is taking less meds than I am.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hey Newbie, I am in Arkansas also !!!! I go to Dr. Finn Karlsson in Mountain Home.

I was referred to Dr Lyons in Springfield over 2 years ago when my nodules were first found....I can tell you right now he is not an Armour fan......I did like him....he did recommend I have my thyroid out ASAP because my mother had had thryoid cancer..........if you go back through my kazillion old posts you will see that I got crossways with his surgeon Dr Wolf and cancelled my TT. The surgeon was really not nice and I cancelled my surgery because I could not let a jerk like that cut my throat open. I left his office pronto....He was really arrogant.

Dr Wolf the surgeon was a real JERK........but now I thank him because I changed Doctors ASAP and still have my thyroid. I called and told Dr Lyons that I could not let Dr Wolf do my TT.

I personally think Dr Lyons was great and would be a good Doctor Endo....He was personable and listened closely. he also had a sense of humor...his choice of Endo Surgeon just was not good. But I do recall he was not a fan of Armour and said so.....

As far as Armour? I was on it for almost 3 years.. I fought to stay on it.....Recently I relunctantly switched to Thyrolar 2 because for the first time my thyroid numbers were falling even though I was on 3 Grains of Armour........My Endo in Arkansas who I really like asked me to just try Thyrolar 2........I have to admit I feel like a new person....I never could really tell any difference on the Armour but I could tell immediately on the Thyrolar that I felt better. I am glad now that I switched, it made all the difference in how I feel....I wish now I would have been more open to other medications.

Let us know if you see Dr Lyons.......and if you like him.... I also told him I read something about him on the internet on Top Thyroid Doctors and he got really worried and said " I hope you do not believe anything you read on the internet like that.".....I told him it was all good and to relax... He smiled.......LOL

Hope this helps..... Oleander

Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
(female)

Cathhsmom HB User

Thanks Oleander for the information; this helps. I really need to stay off of the mainstream medicine T4. The straight T4 medicines will have me sicker than a dog and I know I will feel like I will not live for 20 years on that medicine. T4, been there, no thanks! I think I am going to try one of the doctors listed on the Armour site. These Armour doctors are not listed on the Top Doc list, but I think they will be safe. Or at least, I hope so!

Blessings,
Cathhsmom

Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you need an Armour Doctor.......Dr Carol Chaney in Harrison Arkansas is good if she is still taking new Patients...She is who originally started me on my Armour. Very nice lady who has taken much heat for not being mainstream. She is not too far from Branson/Springfield Missouri area......... She is who referred me to Dr Lyons when my Nodules appeared. She could probably recommend someone in Missouri.
Oleander

Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
(female)

skurburski58 HB User

Oh sorry can I "pop in here" I used to live in Mountain Home too!!wow small world
I now live in Leavenworth Ks and still am fighting to be diagnosed ,our daughter works
at the super center in Mountain Home! And our oldest daughte,hubby and family
are moving back there in a year. good luck. I think I'm hypothyroid so wish me luck.
Oh I love Springfield mo!Shirl

Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skur.........I am in Mountain View.......I am from SO California but my work transferred me here.....Dr Karlsson is really good but I believe he is moving back to Iceland........I will really miss him.........Great Endo........ Oleander

Closed Thread