It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
How many of you take Cortisol?

I've been prescribed DHEA and Cortisol which I'm due to start tomorrow (after I've completed the 24 hour test) and I was just wondering how many of your are already using it, and how it effected you? How did you feel before using it to how you felt afterwards?

Thanks all

Rach xxxx

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: How many of you take Cortisol?

I was first on DHEA.... but that was fine and I didn't need it. My Cortisol production was Nil.. so I take 15 - 20 mg of hydrocortisone a day. I occasionally wait too late to get my last dose in.. hence the do I sleep or do I meet my 20 mg.. I CHOOSE SLEEP, Though the added laundrey and dish cleaning time does come in handy.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
I was first on DHEA.... but that was fine and I didn't need it. My Cortisol production was Nil.. so I take 15 - 20 mg of hydrocortisone a day. I occasionally wait too late to get my last dose in.. hence the do I sleep or do I meet my 20 mg.. I CHOOSE SLEEP, Though the added laundrey and dish cleaning time does come in handy.

MG
Thanks MG

My DHEA test came in at 53% (6.8 - range 2.2-11.0) so not too bad either (well I think??) although my new doc (shes great!) said she'd be happy to see that result in a 65 year old, not in a 37 year old like myself!!

I'm in the process of doing the 24 hour urine tests at the moment (well not right this second but you know what I mean!! ) so I'll know how my cortisol is sitting next week hopefully.

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Question Re: How many of you take Cortisol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygwyn View Post
I've been prescribed DHEA and Cortisol which I'm due to start tomorrow (after I've completed the 24 hour test) and I was just wondering how many of your are already using it, and how it effected you? How did you feel before using it to how you felt afterwards?

Thanks all

Rach xxxx
Hi, do DHEA and Cortisol NEED 3 tests for 24 hours?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejenny77 View Post
Hi, do DHEA and Cortisol NEED 3 tests for 24 hours?
The DHEA was a blood test and theres a number of options for the Cortisol test. One is the normal blood test (not particularly accurate apparently), the other a 24 hour saliva test (which is 3 or 4 samples taken at specific times throughout the day) and the last is a 24 urine test which is the one I'm doing at the moment. Basically all urine for a 24 hour period is collected.

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

tygwyn.

I am really confused about the Cortisol tests, here the hospital needs patients to test 3 times 8 am, 4 pm, 12 pm, for the whole picture of Cortisol levels! That is blood work, not saliva tests. They said only one test of Cortisol blood test on 8 am is not accurate...

and if we need to take 3 times of test on 24 hours, can we take L T4 after 8 AM?

Last edited by cutejenny77; 08-26-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
tygwyn.

I am really confused about the Cortisol tests, here the hospital needs patients to test 3 times 8 am, 4 pm, 12 pm, for the whole picture of Cortisol levels! That is blood work, not saliva tests. They said only one test of Cortisol blood test on 8 am is not accurate...

and if we need to take 3 times of test on 24 hours, can we take L T4 after 8 AM?
Sorry cant help you with the saliva test - I've never done it

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Quote:

Okay.. I am going to take a stab at this one.

Cortisol is the natural fight or flight steriod that your adrenal glands make when under stressed. Your demands change through out the day and in response to physical/mental stress. The output of cortisol is requested by your pituitary gland. The pituitary gland if working properly outputs Adrenal Cortex Stimulating Hormone known as ACTH in accordance to your bodies needs. Cortisol keeps you awake and alert; it also helps balance the conversion of T4 into T3.

Now I am assuming your "L T4" refers to Levothyroxine.. or another T4 supplement? Taking your thyroid supplement will not affect your cortisol concentration. You can take your T4 before or after a cortisol blood test. You just want to wait until after you blood is drawn for your Free T thyroid hormone levels to take your supplement.

Alright.. now as to the different tests and what they tell you..

8 am Blood cortisol levels. This is the most accurate time to run a blood cortisol test. However the analystical measure of blood cortisol is an indirect method subject to error. Many times people suffering from an adrenal crisis may test low normal in range given the blood cortisol test. It is a valid test, but the saliva test is proving to be more accurate in recent studies.

Now since your cortisol levels should be the highest at 8 am and then fall slowly til noon followed by an exponential drop afterward with your lowest point at midnight... a single 8 am cortisol blood test is often insufficient to get a thorough picture of your adrenal production. You may be low NORMAL.. but actually need much more than you are getting. So you need to gauge how much you make in a 24 hour period in my opinion. This means saliva or urine cortisol tests.

Now the saliva test is point wise. You get your cortisol levels at four points through out the day and graph them. (8 am , 12 pm, 5 pm, and 12 am were the times I had to collect samples) The trend should fall in the 40-60 of normal range and look like an exponential decay curve. Current medical journal research is proving that the saliva test is not only cheaper than the blood tests.. BUT more accurate as well. Some do do the blood serum rhythm test, but as your Cortisol levels fall through out the day, acccuracy goes down further.

Now the urine test can be done in two ways. Separate urine collection samples at various times through out the day.. this will allow for a point wise curve plot like the saliva does.. OR you collect all you urine in one vessel and get an average cortisol over a 24 hour period. The average urine collection method will give you a decent result, but will not show any spikes or dead zones in your cortisol production if there is a disruption of you adrenal cortisol rhythm. I strongly recommend a rhythm test.. either saliva or urine in addition to the 8 am blood test.

When running the cortisol tests make sure they tests your ACTh levels as well. You can appear normal in range on Cortisol, but if you are low and your pituitary function is good.. your ACTH levels will be high screaming for more Cortisol.

Okay.. I think that should cover it. Did I do the WTMI thing again?

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-27-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Oh YEAH, THANKS, MG.

I gotta go for the test just tomorrow,, too tired to read through every word of you! but will in some days! Cheers!

Last edited by cutejenny77; 08-27-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Yep, doing the cortisol here too

I had an at home kit given to me where i gave saliva at 6am, 12noon, 6pm and 10pm. They also tested my DHEA's, various estrogens (never knew there was more than one), testosterone, progesterone. They used the same saliva to determine these hormones as well as the cortisol levels.

I'm taking half a cortate tablet daily between 11am - 2pm. I have found my body works best when i take the cortate at roughly 11.30am. Sometimes at 10am my body feels that it really needs that cortisol and i can't wait to take the tablet. Yesterday i forgot (have got the flu at the moment) and just remember at 1.58pm, but i thought 'what the heck' and took it anyway.

I feel so much better after starting my cortate tablets in mid april this year. No more extreme foggy head, hit by a bus, swollen and stinging eyes which felt almost like bursting and no more chronic tiredness. I still get my tired moments, but i feel it's due to my thyroid meds still being tweaked. The cortisol meds were a life saver.

I have bigger things to worry about at the moment, made a gluten free walnut, banana cake, but it didn't turn out and mixer motor went up in flames and some kind of toxic smoke was coming out of it. Do you think i need to buy a new mixer or should i post that on another part of the boards ah well, gotta laugh!!

Last edited by Audrey-B; 08-27-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post

I have bigger things to worry about at the moment, made a gluten free walnut, banana cake, but it didn't turn out and mixer motor went up in flames and some kind of toxic smoke was coming out of it. Do you think i need to buy a new mixer or should i post that on another part of the boards ah well, gotta laugh!!
Get shopping lady! I hear Harvey Norman have got a good sale on at the mo!!

I started my Cortisol this morning...hoping for a miracle to occur immediately...but alas!! Guess it takes time! Oh well...I've got plenty of that.

In the meantime...I may check out the sales too!

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygwyn View Post

I started my Cortisol this morning...hoping for a miracle to occur immediately...but alas!! Guess it takes time! Oh well...I've got plenty of that.
I've just checked my prescription and realised I should have take 2 HC this morning rather than 1!! Obviously lack of concentration is still an issue for me!!

Tomorrow is another day as they say!

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

Hey Rach, keep us posted as to how you make out with the cortisol and i know what your mean about the poor concentration....groan...

Old 08-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

I also take between 15 and 20mg of Cortef a day. Also take 180 mg of Amour. I was getting nowhere with the Armour until I started the Cortef. The Cortef has helped alot, cured me no. I think I was left untreated too long working a very physical job too sick to do so and I've got full blow Addison's now just never really been given the correct title.

I basically have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome because of it all thanks to a bunch of stupid doctors and haven't been able to work in 4 years. Trying to get my SSD for over two years but keep getting denied. Boy they sure wanted part of my paycheck for 30 years to pay for a disablility insurance policy that they now won't let me use.

Don't know what your dr has told you but it's best to take the HC spread out three or four times through the day to imitate how your body would naturally produce it. I take 10mg in am 5mg at noon and 2.5 around 4:00pm.

Good luck with your treatment.

Deb

Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Thanks for your replies

I'm just trying to work out when I should take all these now! Can HC and DHEA be taken the same time as T4 or should I take it the same time as my calcium

This is what I'm thinking of doing:

7am: Oroxine (T4)
8am: Calcium & HC & DHEA
Midday: HC
6pm Calcium

How does that look? Or do I need to take calcium on its own?

Life aint easy is it?!!

Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Closed Thread