It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

michelle221 HB User
new please help me figure out thyroid

Hi I have been having racing heart palps, tremors, nervousness, cold most of the time, dirreah and weakness and lost weight 20lbs . I have had a thyroid ultrasound saying this BELOW on 8/7/08. My endo doc and GP are saying I should not have these hyper symptoms so bad and Im on nothing and at my wits end please help me understand this. They will not medicate until t3 goes up I believe.

SCAN

there is enlargement of the gland right is 4.2x2.0x1.5 left is 4.5x1.6x1.6 cm
mild prominence of the isthmus 5mm in thickness. neg for discreet thyroid mass

impression- nonspecific enlargement of the thyroid gland with prominent blood flow suggestive of thyroiditis.

My labs

Last yr when pregnant which resulted in miscarriage 9/07

TSH 1.12

THIS YEARS LABS

7/16/08

TSH 0.65 RANGE 0.36-3.72

FT4 0.81 RANGE 0.59-1.28

T3 - 3.52 RANGE 1.8-4.2

7/25/08

TSH 0.65

8/7/08

TSH 0.59 RANGE 0.60-3.30
T4 FREE 1.19 RANGE 0.71-1.40
T3 TOTAL 1.2 RANGE 1.0-1.7

8/12/08

TSH 0.50 RANGE .60-3.20

8/21/08

THYROID PEROX AB 0.5

addisons test acth cortsyn injection test

before test blood result
cortisol 15.2
aldosterone serum 10

1 hr later blood result
cortisol 42.5
aldosterone serum 13

Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: new please help me figure out thyroid

Well, your stimulation test looks really good, so I doubt it's due to low adrenal or addison's disease. Your TSH is hovering toward the low end of range, getting closer to that hyper side. Your frees are in range, but the t3 is higher in its range than the t4. Maybe they can run an uptake scan to see how active your thyroid is in taking up and utilizing iodine. In the meantime, if I were you, I would stay away from too much iodine, such as seafood and such. I think that might be a good starting place. Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
(female)

michelle221 HB User

Thanks Sue. I have noticed some foods have made me have heart paps also. I ate a can of chickpeas , lots of cabbage at once, and spinach and these all resulted in heart paps. Wonder if it is coincidence or a food that would affect my thyroid? It seems the symptoms gradually started last yr after my miscarriage. I had pain in my neck area a few months later then and occasional panic adreniline feeling rushes and a few heart paps when trying to sleep. I did not make much of it but in june this yr my adrenline started rushing all the time along with tremors and dirreah etc... and its gotten really bad and scary. My tsh was 1.12 when pregnant so maybe the falling of it could have started something .
Do you think I could be having the hyper symptoms with just the low tsh because my body is sensitive?

I have always been sensitive to meds and other illnesses. Its at the point I dont leave the house really except to go to the dr. They have worked me up with everything from lyme titer, sprue test, intrinsic factor test, heavy metals tests, lead tests, ghiarrdia c diff tests, ekg, echo, stress test, brain mri, stomach ct, hida scan, vq scan etc... I have had 4 radioactive tests this month!

Last edited by michelle221; 08-27-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

michelle221 HB User

Does anyone else have any insight. I just feel so bad. Im used to feeling so normal and now Im so out of whack.

Do you think I could be having the hyper symptoms with just the low tsh because my body is sensitive? My gastro dr said the day before yesterday. I could take the PTU100mg 3 times a day since he thinks im hyper. He is just going by symptoms and low .50 tsh and my thyroiditis ultrasound, not t3 or t4. My endocrine said to wait. Im so confused if it will hurt me. I took one dose and my heart races after taking it.

Last edited by michelle221; 08-28-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
(female)

tami71 HB User
Smile Re: new please help me figure out thyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle221 View Post
Does anyone else have any insight. I just feel so bad. Im used to feeling so normal and now Im so out of whack.

Do you think I could be having the hyper symptoms with just the low tsh because my body is sensitive? My gastro dr said the day before yesterday. I could take the PTU100mg 3 times a day since he thinks im hyper. He is just going by symptoms and low .50 tsh and my thyroiditis ultrasound, not t3 or t4. My endocrine said to wait. Im so confused if it will hurt me. I took one dose and my heart races after taking it.
Hi Michelle,
I am new to all this thyroid stuff too! I am so sorry you are having these hyper symptoms. I was having racy heart, very cold ,especally my feet, couldn't sleep very well, anxious, tired in the afternoon and hair falling out. I went to my md and he did blood work and said I was very hyper. he sent me to a endo so far I have seen two endo's both say I am very hyper and only my tsh is very low 0.03 But everything else is normal free t3 free t4 I do have three nodules one is very large and is a hot nodule so that is what is making me hyper. I am taking methemazole sp? It so far is not helping.
I think you could be hyper with only a low tsh. Have you had a second opinion? do you have any nodules? They did an uptake scan on me to find mine, and then did an ultra sound and found two more that didn't show on the scan. they are wanting me to have surgery or RAI to destroy my thyroid. I am trying to decide what to do.
I hope you find an answer to this, it is so frustrating I know. Please let us hear from you.
Best wishes!
PS Sorry about your miscarriage, I have had three, Soo sad.
Tami

Last edited by tami71; 08-28-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
(female)

michelle221 HB User

Hi Tammy, So you are in NC also! I was born in durham. I am staying in Butner with aunt now. My hubby who is in the army , and I are stationed in italy so we had to fly back here to get help for me. I could not get help there. I feel like im dying. Everyone comments on how cold my feet ankles are also! I am constantly in winter clothes and have a blanket on me. My hair has also been coming out more. I notice strands everywhere. This is a horrible disease isnt it! I am sorry about your miscarriages also. I I wonder if thyroid plays a part in that. That was my second.

They have only done a thyroid ultrasound and labs so far. My aunt and cousin who are hyper tell me to ask for the uptake. That was there first test and my cousin went to the same dr as me and had normal labs so I dont know why they did not give to me yet. Thats how they were diagnosed. My ultrasound showed a enlargement of both lobes of thyroid and the isthmus a little enlarged of 5mm and increased blood flow which the endo said is thyroiditis with no masses. My primary and General doc both said that my symptoms should not be this bad with thyroiditis with normal t3 and no masses. I said well I guess I am sensitive. They both would not give me meds until the t3 goes up and Im definitely hyper. She is drawing labs again friday at endo office.

The only Dr I have been to who sympathises with me is a gastro for my dirreah nausea and losing weight 20lbs or so in last month and half. He said to take ptu but I am scared of side effects . One made me race and feel weird. I will check out your drug and see if side effects are less scary than ptu. He said he will order a thyroid scan eventually. I think he is more sympathetic because his wife has graves. I am just scared being treated by a gastro and not endocrine dr.

What endo docs do you see? Are you near raleigh durham area? I only see like 3 endos in our phone book!! They are all so booked its hard to get in so Im scared of waiting so long. I took xanax last night and today to help my nervousness but it makes the dirreah worse. Do you have dirreah also and losing weight? Its at the point im nauseous all the time and food is making me nauseous so I only can eat a tiny amount each day and drink pedialite and water.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
(female)

beth67 HB User

Usually I am on the thyroid cancer board but now having symptoms similar to what I had before being diagnosed with cancer. I have hypoaldosteronism now and Dr. trying to figure out what is causing it. Possibly Addison's so she wants to do a salt loading urine test but my potassium is low so I need to get that up before the salt loading. I guess its dangerous to have too much salt and not enough potassium. Your symptoms sound alot like what I was experiencing before I was diagnosed with hashimotos thyroiditis. Have they done a antibody test on you yet. My tsh and t3 and t4 were in the normal range but I was positive for antibodies. Saw an endo and a month later had my thyroid out for cancer. From some books I read you can have symptoms of being hypo/hyper even though your tsh t3 and t4 are out of whack but you have the antibodies of hashimotos and you can be put on low dose of meds to feel better. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
(female)

michelle221 HB User

Beth, I am so sorry to hear about your thyroid cancer. How are you doing? I have been told your electrolytes salt potassium always need to be in balance from docs when I have been dehydrated from this dirreah. I am currently on potassium chloride for low potassium to help. I had this test done and it was 0.5 is this antibodies test you are talking about or is it something else.

I am wondering if there are seperate tests for antibodies for graves and hashimotos. I have 2 family members hyper aunt and cousin one with graves.

THYROID PEROX AB 0.5

Old 08-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

To test for Grave's, you do the TSI antibody test.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
(female)

michelle221 HB User

thanks sue I will ask for that next appt. So what is this test I had done and is it ok?

THYROID PEROX AB 0.5

Old 08-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle221 View Post
Hi Tammy, So you are in NC also! I was born in durham. I am staying in Butner with aunt now. My hubby who is in the army , and I are stationed in italy so we had to fly back here to get help for me. I could not get help there. I feel like im dying. Everyone comments on how cold my feet ankles are also! I am constantly in winter clothes and have a blanket on me. My hair has also been coming out more. I notice strands everywhere. This is a horrible disease isnt it! I am sorry about your miscarriages also. I I wonder if thyroid plays a part in that. That was my second.

They have only done a thyroid ultrasound and labs so far. My aunt and cousin who are hyper tell me to ask for the uptake. That was there first test and my cousin went to the same dr as me and had normal labs so I dont know why they did not give to me yet. Thats how they were diagnosed. My ultrasound showed a enlargement of both lobes of thyroid and the isthmus a little enlarged of 5mm and increased blood flow which the endo said is thyroiditis with no masses. My primary and General doc both said that my symptoms should not be this bad with thyroiditis with normal t3 and no masses. I said well I guess I am sensitive. They both would not give me meds until the t3 goes up and Im definitely hyper. She is drawing labs again friday at endo office.

The only Dr I have been to who sympathises with me is a gastro for my dirreah nausea and losing weight 20lbs or so in last month and half. He said to take ptu but I am scared of side effects . One made me race and feel weird. I will check out your drug and see if side effects are less scary than ptu. He said he will order a thyroid scan eventually. I think he is more sympathetic because his wife has graves. I am just scared being treated by a gastro and not endocrine dr.

What endo docs do you see? Are you near raleigh durham area? I only see like 3 endos in our phone book!! They are all so booked its hard to get in so Im scared of waiting so long. I took xanax last night and today to help my nervousness but it makes the dirreah worse. Do you have dirreah also and losing weight? Its at the point im nauseous all the time and food is making me nauseous so I only can eat a tiny amount each day and drink pedialite and water.
Hi michelle,
I live in a little town not to far from Charlotte, So we are not to far apart!
I am soo sorry you are feeling so rotten! Your symptoms are much worse than mine. Do not give up, keep asking for more test. I would ask for an uptake scan and see what that shows. I see a Dr at charlotte medical clinic. I am not sure if we can post names or not. My medical Dr. referred me there and she is wonderful! I know it is so frustrating to get an appt. with an endo it takes forever! Do you have a Dr. that can refer you? I think that helps to get you in faster. You said you are scared to take PTU, I was very scared to take Methemazole too. I think it is a little stronger than PTU and I have done fine on it so far. They have rechecked my blood and it is not effecting my white blood count or liver at this point. I have only been on it for three weeks though. I wish you the very best and hope you get some relief very soon.
Tami

Closed Thread