It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

gabesmomma HB User
just diagnosed with Hashimoto thyroiditis any one else here have this too?

Hi,
I got diagnosed about 2 months ago but have had an enlarged thyroid for almost 10 years none of all the other doctors I have seen ever tested for this the others always tested my levels said they were fine and moved on...
So two months ago my new dr diagnosed me and put me on synthroid to hopefully help reduce the size of my thyroid. About three weeks after starting the synthroid I started feeling weak tired exhausted. My husband says my memory is worse now then ever.
I was starting to think the dosage of synthroid was not high enough. I had my recheck yesterday and my dr says my levels are perfect! He can not explain my symptoms. I did not feel like this before and now I feel horrible I am actually thinking about discontinuing the medication. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there any reason why this is happening? Anyway to help get my energy back? any thoughts! Thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: just diagnosed with Hashimoto thyroiditis any one else here have this too?

Hi! I had an enlarged thyroid over 16 years ago but got medication just 3,5 years ago - had many hypoT symptoms for over a decade but since labs were also "in ranges" everything was "fine"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabesmomma View Post
I was starting to think the dosage of synthroid was not high enough. I had my recheck yesterday and my dr says my levels are perfect! He can not explain my symptoms. I did not feel like this before and now I feel horrible I am actually thinking about discontinuing the medication. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there any reason why this is happening?
What did the labs say? - do you have numbers? If you don't ask for them. I know many people have experienced that their symptoms have gotten worse in the beginning of the medication but then improved over time, sometimes with that same dose. But we all have our own "personal optimal ranges" so anything within reference ranges is hardly optimal for everyone - you might still need little adjusting to your dose (despite what the doctor thinks ).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-27-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

What dose are you taking? Anything less than 50 mcgs is a "non-dose". If it's less than 50 mcgs, there is a possibility that you are now getting even less thyroid hormone than your gland was making before medication. That's because 25 mcgs can have the effect of turning off production of TSH from the pituitary gland, so there is less TSH to stimulate the thyroid into making its own hormone. You would get less natural hormone, plus the exogenous hormone wouldn't be enough to make up the shortfall.

Otherwise, if the dose is the typical starter one of 50 - 75 mcgs, it's very common to feel worse before feeling better. The body has been used to operating on a shortage of hormone for years - even decades - so when you give it some, it's "shocking", in a way. Poor body doesn't know what to make of you suddenly putting gas in the tank, so to speak.

Patience is the thyroid patient's most valuable virtue. It takes time to find the right dose and for the body to then heal itself once it has been given the right dose for a few months.

Is your MD checking just your TSH? Bad move. He must check your free T4 and free T3. He may be getting your TSH within "normal" range; but unless the free Ts are in the right place, he's failing to adequately treat you. TSH is very volatile, but the free Ts move slowly and are a more accurate representation of the actual amount of circulating hormone.

It could be your free Ts weren't low enough to treat, and that could have sent you hyper already. Unless these levels were checked, there's no way to know if this is the trouble or not. Another reason not to treat according to TSH.

If you have any lab results with ranges you don't mind sharing, we can help you better figure out what your doc may be missing.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
(female)

gabesmomma HB User

Thanks for the replies, I am on 50mcg of synthroid. I do not have a copy of the lab results. I am going to call my dr office tomorrow to get them so hopefully someone here maybe able to help me out, I do not Believe that he tested the free t's. this is all very new to me and he is the first dr that has realised what the problem is but now on medication I feel so much worse I go back in february. if he has not tested the free t's what do you suggest I do call and make a sooner apt for him to do so? thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
I go back in february. if he has not tested the free t's what do you suggest I do call and make a sooner apt for him to do so?
You do that .

Old 08-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
(female)

gabesmomma HB User

ok I got the results from my doctors office this is what they say...

T4 - 9.1
TSH - .341

Anti-TPO @ 894 H
Anti-TG @ 37

Thyroglobulin Tumor Marker Thyroglob AB @ 9.8 H

to me all of this means nothing! lol doctor says from this he knows I have hashimoto thyroiditis and my thyroid levels are perfect on the 50 synthroid, but I feel so tired and weak. I feel like someone drained the energy from me I used to be so energetic.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

post the ranges too please. labs vary so the ranges are important for us to figure out where you are at. call your doc back and get the ranges, or better yet, get copies. ALWAYS get copies of your labwork.

PLUS, your doc should be checking your Free T3 and Free T4. the 'frees' are the ones that really count. lots of docs dont know what they're doing with thyroid stuff.

Last edited by scoot; 08-30-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Howdy!

I am also a newbie Hashi girl. Just since the birth of my 1 year old, in fact. Up till then I was just as fine as paint. This board has provided me with SOOOO much valuable information to throw at my MD. It helps a lot to be informed so these yahoos can't bulldoze you.

ANyhoo, I, like you, felt so immensely worse after starting my meds that I refused when they called me to increase my dose. That prompted them to take me off the generic (levothyroxine) and on to the name brand (synthroid, levoxyl...). I feel lots better, but I don't know if I'll ever be the same.

Hang in there and don't let anybody bully you.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Quote:
ok I got the results from my doctors office this is what they say...

T4 - 9.1
TSH - .341

Anti-TPO @ 894 H
Anti-TG @ 37

Thyroglobulin Tumor Marker Thyroglob AB @ 9.8 H

to me all of this means nothing! lol doctor says from this he knows I have hashimoto thyroiditis and my thyroid levels are perfect on the 50 synthroid, but I feel so tired and weak. I feel like someone drained the energy from me I used to be so energetic.
You feel like somebody flipped your switch OFF, right? Me too. And we do need the Ranges next time, please. Maybe it's just the wrong brand of medication, and the new book STOP THE THYROID MADNESS says T4-only just does not work, never did and never will.

I hate the thought of going on pig hormone, which I hear suppresses the TSH and may cause even more confusion, but may end up having to look into it. Used to take dessicated thyroid in the 1950's/60's, sheeps', don't know why they changed to pigs'.

About T3, I forgot, when I complained recently about their leaving that off my lab report, they do wait to start including that until about the third test (?) Maybe if you specifically request it early on they'd include it earlier?

What a lifesaver this forum is, so many people to compare notes with and find reminders of what we may have forgotten.

Last edited by Eagle; 09-02-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
(female)

gabesmomma HB User

Sorry I did not put the ranges like I said before this is all new to me... I just thought that ranges were all the same I did not know they change so here we go again....

T4- 9.1 range 5.5-11
TSH .341 range .300- 5.000

Anti-TPO 894 range <35
Anti-TG 37 range <41

Thyroglob ab 9.8 range <4.0
Thyroglob TM results were unreliable

I also wanted to ask if anyone here fasts before blood work my doctor told me there is no need to fast just not to take my synthroid the morning of the blood test. Does fasting make any differences I did not fast for this test.
Thanks for everyones input!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: just diagnosed with Hashimoto thyroiditis any one else here have this too?

Quote:
Sorry I did not put the ranges like I said before this is all new to me... I just thought that ranges were all the same I did not know they change so here we go again....

T4- 9.1 range 5.5-11
TSH .341 range .300- 5.000

Anti-TPO 894 range <35
Anti-TG 37 range <41

Thyroglob ab 9.8 range <4.0
Thyroglob TM results were unreliable

I also wanted to ask if anyone here fasts before blood work my doctor told me there is no need to fast just not to take my synthroid the morning of the blood test. Does fasting make any differences I did not fast for this test.
Thanks for everyones input!
I'm new to antibody testing too! Thanks for your numbers and ranges so I can compare with a tentative test, have another appointment, with my allergist, who the girls in the office say can treat autoimmunes in addition to allergies. You're the first person I will be attempting to compare my numbers with, not really diagnosed yet and I can't wait.

My first Lab report antibodies are called

Thyroid Microsomal AB<10, in Range, <35, Anti-TPO???

Thyroglobulin AB <20, in Range, <40, Anti-TG???

Free T4 is <2.06, in Range, <0.71 - 2.23 ng/dl (Don't know what that means. ) Total T3 is in Range, Total T4 high 16, R 12

So you have one test that I don't, and I have thyroglobulin, whatever the heck that is, which you don't. Why would yours be "unreliable"?

You probably said you have another appointment soon, right? Keep us posted where we go from here? I've just run a web search to see how long those Hashimoto's occasional hyper periods last, if I'm having one at all, temp dropped from 97.6 to 96.8, didn't find that out yet, haven't opened any of the results, but one mentioned up front that some of this can be viral-infectious, for whatever that's worth. My allergist probably doesn't believe in that. She never would prescribe antibiotics, but the foot doctor prescribed some for a diabetic ulcer infection so my allergies/asthsma all got a lot better and I haven't seen her in a year.

Last edited by Eagle; 09-02-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
(female)

joy57 HB User

Hello all. I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto thyroiditis (she "thinks," the test for Hassi's was left out accidentally by the lab, DAH!) But she still said she is 95 % sure it's Hashi's.
My TSH was 4.6 which she called borderline. But I had ALL the symptoms you all have. Hair falling out was particularly distressing... I know... vanity. Anyway, the Dr. tested only my t4 and it was 0.5. I was started on 25mg of Synthroid which made me feel like hell for a couple of weeks and now I just feel like you guys describe... no energy, can't sleep, hair loss, etc. Synthroid was upped last week to 50mg every other day. I ASKED her to consider Armour Thyroid... even took in some info from on here. She wouldn't even consider it. Said "we produce enough T3 on our own, every cell in the body makes it."

So that's where that stands with her!
Then she has the nerve to say to me, "just don't think about it so much!" Can you believe it? I tried to tell her about me body temperatures too... like when I first get up in the mornings my temp is only around 96.7 and never goes above 97.7. She says "I guess that just makes you special." I wanted to slap her, I swear.
So I am getting NO cooperation from the Dr at all. I would like to change Dr.s but there just isn't anyone around this area who will consider Armour Thyroid or even take my symptoms seriously! I am so frustrated!
Thanks for listening.
Joy

Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Thyroid Microsomal AB<10, in Range, <35, Anti-TPO???.
Thyroid microsomal antibodies are different antibodies, TPO means thyroid peroxidase. I believe Anti-TPO is more accurate than Anti-microsomal test. This anti-microsomal is mentioned to often appear with Graves though it also is thyroid suppressive. So you haven't had your TPO antibodies tested (yet).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-19-2008 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Typos, typos...

Old 09-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sympathy Re Rude Endo, Try Out of Town? And....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Thyroid microsomal antibodies are different antibodies, TPO means thyroid peroxidase. I believe Anti-TPO is more accurate than Anti-microsomal test. These anti-microsomal are mentioned to often appear with Graves though it also is thyroid suppressive. So you haven't had your TPO antibodies tested (yet).
Thanks so much for this info. Yes, I asked for Antibodies testing, but I didn't know then about anti-microsomal, to ask for a test for that.

So many doctors don't seem to know the lists of SYMPTOMS for the two extremes, Hypo and Hyper! Because of the TSH fad from 1972 I suppose. Is that it?

I think they should have known to add the anti-microsomal, whatever the heck that exactly means. Too bad they don't just test for all these things at the same time.

I'm not sure it's okay to mention a famous online Dr. by name, but Anyway, he says the thyroid is made up of follicles which can rupture due to inflammation and/or antibodies, flooding the blood stream with the Frees and lowering the TSH. That it's SELF-LIMITING. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned finding a list of 17-20 things that can suppress TSH. I THINK Metformin was one of them, and it can cause some of our hair loss.

Last edited by Eagle; 09-19-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Sympathy Re Rude Endo, Try Out of Town? And....

Welcome I am another Hashimoto's veteran. I have a series of threads that may help clarify things. You should check them out. I could retype the response and information.. but that can take up a lot of memory space and bog down the boards. I prefer to share the thread sites instead.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=585150[/url]

These are what I consider starting information. There are a few more in the series. Clicking on any members call sign and viewing profile will allow you to go to all threads started by that person. This is the easiest way to track down specific posts in my opinion.

MG

Closed Thread