It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

VRL HB User
Need opinion about synthroid

I've been on 100mcg synthroid 8 years to supress a goiter. Mission accomplished. Had my ovaries out Jan 2008 and began estrogen. I'll be 50 next month. Last lab results show TSH 1.133. Doc doesn't want to change a thing and is pleased. I am not. I'm down to 108 pounds and still loosing dispite my high calorie efforts to ward off any more weight loss. I want to try a lower dose of snythroid to help me sleep, lower my anxiety, stop my hair from falling out and put back on some weight before people start saying I'm anxorexic.
Don't I have some room to play with here? The report shows a range of .350 to 5.500. I am 1.133. Can't I supress a goiter with less of a dose?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
(female)

MIMI03 HB User
Re: Need opinion about synthroid

You know how you feel better than the doc does. The labs do not always line up with our bodies. I suggest finding a doc who will work with you and not rely solely on labs. I have been fighting my thyroid problems for over 30 years now. I have fired several docs and now am going to a DO and we are now getting somewhere. hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

just like mimi said, the blood levels can be a gauge, but symptoms are more important.

get aggressive with your doctor that you want to try a lower dose at least for a couple months to see if you feel better. either that or find another doc.

yes there is room between the ranges which one person may feel better at and another may feel worse at but all within the 'normal ranges'. most docs dont want to change anything as long as we are within those normal ranges even if we are feeling like total dirt.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

VRL,

Did your MD not run an Ft3 and Ft4 on you? What are your Free T values? You may have an optimal TSH.. but if there is something up with your adrenals or pituitary gland.. then your thyroid hormones can still be out of whack despite the TSH.

THE TSH IS NOT THE BE ALL MEASUREMENT OF THYROID FUNCTION! This is where TOO MANY MDs go wrong. The TSH is by definition your PITUITARY'S thyroid stimulating hormone output! This tells the thyroid how much T4 is needed. That is all. If there is dysfunction in the loop.. well the TSH is worth about as much as a cow patty tossed into a high powered fan.

Now given your TSH you should be near optimal in levels.. but I know from experience my TSH isn't worth a flip and I have to go by the Free T measurements which MEASURE THE ACTUAL ACTIVE thyroid hormone present in your body! So you need Fts drawn and tested if this hasn't been done to see what your thyroid supplementation and thyroid are ACTUALLY doing to your system.

I have a few other random thoughts floating about that may explain the weight issue if all else is normal:
What supplements are you on?
Have you changed your diet/exercise routine recently?
Have you ever been tested for Hashimoto's and Graves disease? (If the answer is no to this you need to get the following run when you get your FTs run: TPOAb and TGAb (Hashimoto's identifying lab codes), TSI and TRAb (Graves Disease identifying lab codes)

I have both Graves and Hashimoto's I have periods of hyperactivity that rarely show properly and may only span a few weeks in duration. My Hashimoto's and Graves make my body a wonderful hypothyroid/hyperthyroid war zone. It is possible that Graves has suddenly manifested and your TSH hasn't caught up with your actual thyroid hormonal state. You can also have had a hot nodule develop as well. If it is a hot nodule/Graves an iodine uptake scan is the best means to determine the extent or activity of your thyroid.

Well that was a bit of a ramble, but just a TSH and symptoms are not enough in my opinion to allow you to know what is actually going on. Your data set is incomplete and more will allow for a better over view of your thyroid state.

MG

Old 09-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

VRL HB User

Wow, thank you all very much. I thought I was loosing my mind for sure. I hit the wall. Had zero tolarance for being uncomfortable and stopped taking both meds...synthroid and estrogen, for 2 days. Just to calm down some.
Then, went to the doc again and asked for more testing other than than a T3. She lowered my dose to .75 and we will do the blood work in 3 weeks.
I stopped taking the synthroid for 2 days before I went to see her. I could feel my body calming down. Funny, maybe not so funny, I can feel a lump in my throat. Probably my imagination.
This all in is conntection to begining estrogen. Upon reading some info on synthroid, estrogen increase TBG, whatever that is I don't know.
I'm down to 108lbs. 50 years old. No increase in excersise, not anorexic (I love food, no I don't think I'm fat). Its just been a roller-coaster since the surgery (ovaries removed) and my motabolisim is in high gear 24/7. Some people would like this. I do not. And, I'd rather not have the thyroid removed as I think that would cause more problems.
I'm thankfull for the responses and gives me something to research when I didn't know where else to turn. Thank you!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

TBG is thyroid binding globulin. It basically increases your bodies uptake and shifting of T4 into your system.

MG

Old 09-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
(female)

VRL HB User

Boy, I really need to get educated on this thyroid stuff. I had no idea it was so complicated. I was told to take synthroid for my goiter and I've been on it 10 years. Now I'm having problems and my guess is to start with this. Any direction where to begin my research would be appreciated. I don't even know what binding globulin really means and unless someone wants to take me by the hand, maybe they can direct me where to look for accurate info.
Of my main questions are: can thyroid cause mental confusion, appear as anxiety and depressive episodes, inability to gain weight over the years and even loss of weight, and WHY?

Many thanks.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

When I was starting my research into thyroid care and issues, I compiled and tried to find supporting literature for my information. The stuff that I collected and compiled I presented in a series of threads. The following are the locations of these threads.

This is the week two thyroid care and concerns thread. It covers the basics in my opinon...
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Then I have a week three/four thyroid care and concerns thread.. It covers some of the rarer phenomena dealing with Hashimoto's, hypothyroidism, and more..
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=599141[/url]

Alright here are the links to Week 5, Week 6, and Week 7 respectively:
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=601986[/url]
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=603675[/url]
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=610550[/url]

Hopefully this will get you started. We are all learning. When you do not know an answer.. that is when you can ask or do a specific search. Good luck on your search for competent care.

MG

Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
(female)

VRL HB User

I don't know what else to say except, "Thank you". My search is on.

Closed Thread