It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

hsanthuff HB User
Question PLZ help very enlarged thyroid

Okay, I have a few questions. I have been having so may health problems over the past year and a half (since my twins were born). I still have no diagnosis but I know I am not crazy and I know its not all stress related. I have been tested for lupus, lymphoma, bone cancer, lymes, MS...you name it. It has been a complete emotional rollercoaster for me.
Anyhow, I finally convinced my dr to refer me to an endo and I had my first appointment yesterday. The endo was amazed to find that my thyroid is THREE times the size that it should be. I had previous blood work before and all was normal however the endo said it was only a thyroid screening test for antibodies and that he wanted to do more test on me. So, heres my questions...1) Shouldnt he be ordering for me to have an ultrasound or something? He said he didnt feel any nodules just an enlargement and for right now he didnt think it was necessary?? 2) Should I be worried about thyroid cancer?? I am so confused and so worried. Thanks for all your replies in advance.

Heather

Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: PLZ help very enlarged thyroid

The short answer is that cancer grows within nodules. If your gland is just diffusely enlarged - that is, enlarged all over with no nodules - you don't have to worry about cancer.

It's early yet, but I have to say I already like that guy's outlook... and I don't like very many endos.
Welcome to the board, and good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

My nodules can't be felt yet. Sometimes they are hidden. Get an ultrasound so you & your Dr. can look at the whole picture. Do you have any thyroid pain? Difficulty swallowing/breathing? Just found out that my Aunt had an enlarged thyroid that was taken out because she began to have choking episodes. Voice changes? Fam

Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

I agree that it's early, Dr. sounds like he's taking the right steps ordering more tests. As Fam said, be VERY observant about voice changes, snoring changes, trouble swallowing, etc. I had symptoms for YEARS before they found out I had thyroid cancer (not to scare you, it's not likely that you do ) Have you already had your blood taken for the extra tests? If so, when you see him again to go over results, I would definitely request an u/s if he doesn't schedule one. Good luck with your health and the twins!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

HS,

What symptoms have you had? Fam

Closed Thread