It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
(female)

nail lady HB User
hair still falling out

ok enough is enough i thought when the thyroid came out in march the rai done in may med 100 synthroid and 5 cytomel my hair would be back to normal . i dont even want to shower everyday and brush my hair because it seems to me way to much actually more then before this was done my kids are even picking it off me i hate to cook for other people because alot of times it does get into food my family understands and take it out others are grossed out. and my scar seems to feel tight some times . this is crazy next dr appt is sept 14. it will be 6months do they do other test or still just blood work.

thanks
sheri

Old 08-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: hair still falling out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail lady View Post
ok enough is enough i thought when the thyroid came out in march the rai done in may

med 100 synthroid and 5 cytomel my hair would be back to normal .

this is crazy next dr appt is sept 14. it will be 6months do they do other test or still just blood work.
Hi Sheri ~ My uneducated guess is that your meds are still low/WRONG that is why your still shedding hair. Since you started the 100 Synthroid & 5 Cytomel, when were your last labs done?? (should be monitored every 6-8 weeks) Thy meds ARE NOT like taking asprin, therefore NOT an instant FIX Personally I find it AMAZING what Dr's forget to tell us!!!

Also another mistake Doctors make is getting a patient barely IN TO normal, then thinking he/she is DONE treating you. (<-often still complaining of SYMPTOMS} While your labs may be normal there is OFTEN room for improvement while still WITHIN the ranges.

Perhaps you should get a book? I recommend: Living Well w/ Hypo-Thy, SOLVED: the riddle of illness and recently purchased STOP the thy madness

Hope you get some answers soon
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: hair still falling out

My hair loss was from all the changes, it was the last thing to get better, and it was so gradual, that I barely noticed the improvement, until one day I went for a haircut, and realized how it was much healthier.

After you find your ideal dose, and you get settled into it, the hairloss should finally taper off.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
(female)

nail lady HB User

hey reece my labs r due but when i look on the sheet there is no test for antibodies did she forget that or dont i do that anymore
thyroid cancer p kind my last lab for anti thyroglobulin were*63 (<60)

Old 01-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
(female)

PandaBear777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonic1 View Post
Hi there, I'm new to the site but read this and it reminded me of what I went through. In the end, I had such huge bald patches that I had to get all my hair cut off. Anyway, it is now longer than it ever was (12 months on) and I put that all down to my thyroxine meds being right and the cocktail of herbal supplements I've been taking. One in particular I was amazed - maca. It helped my hair grow back thick and strong. If you do try it, go for the tablets and make sure it's a decent dosage.
Where did you get your Maca? I've been reading about this herb but I'm only finding it in men's supplements mixed with a lot of other things. Being post-menapausal my metabolism is a little different, I don't know that I need all "the other" stuff in those supplements. But I'm very interested in the Maca.

FYI - for those of you reading that haven't heard of this herb, it's supposed to balance all the hormones in your system.

Closed Thread