It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Hashi's with a side order of Cushings????

ok, i am really confused. i gave it one last shot today with a new endo in the city who had a lot of thyroid experience.

i told her how i haven't felt 100% since my Hashi's diagnosis 3 years ago, told her my symptoms (tired, depressed, my stiff/tingly morning feet, can't lose weight, dry eye, forgetful etc.)

she's doing a panel, which i asked for and i should give her credit for that. i inquired about B12, vit D deficiency, lipids, ferritin, etc., and could we do all those, which she agreed.

then she did an arm/leg strength test. i did ok the first time, then i laid down and she poked around my abdomen and rib cage, then i sat up. she did the arm/leg test again, and this time i couldn't keep my legs raised up. my arms were worse than the first time but not as bad as my legs, which are still sore from her pushing on them 5 hours ago. she says "why are your legs weaker than your arms???" well how the heck should i know?? that worried me.

so she says she'd like to do a dexamethasone suppression test to see if i test positive for cushings. btw, my cortisol AM test last year showed 13.8 (range 4.3-22.4). wouldn't that have been abnormal if i had cushings?

ok so i get home and start reading about it online. i dont understand why she would guess that i might have that. anyone here had a doc suggest this? i dont want to do the test. i'm afraid to take the dexamethasone tablet. i'm tired of having doctors suggest i have this or that, which of course are always nasty conditions, like when they suggested i might have MS or lupus or MVP. i don't have any cushings symptoms! i dont understand this! bah!

i'm so annoyed. anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Last edited by scoot; 08-28-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: Hashi's with a side order of Cushings????

Thumbs up for your doctor in being aggressive in trying to figure anything out. I'm surprised she doesn't start with 24-hour urine tests. USUALLY, the 24-hour urines are done, and when they show high cortisol, THEN they do a dex-suppression to determine if it's Cushing's caused from an adrenal adenoma or a pituitary adenoma. But, still, thumbs up for the investigating doctor!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

drats. i was hoping someone would say 'gee what a waste of time'.

i don't feel like having another ailment.

sue - did you have this test done? i'm afraid to take the dex tablet.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

To be honest, I was afraid to take the tablet too, so I didn't do the test. But if I had more evidence that I would have Cushing's, I guess I would just make myself do it.

Closed Thread