It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

ashfox2005 HB User
**NEW LABS** Kinda confused??

These are my new lab results 8-26-08

TSH 0.9 RANGE 0.2-3.8
T4 11.4 5.9-12.5
T3 UPTAKE 28.6 22.5-37
T7 3.3 1.3-4.6
TPO 22.2 0-59
Other labs.. same day
Cholest 173 124-200
SGPT (ALT) 10 13-40 LOW
SGOT (AST) 13 15-48 LOW
BA low
EO low
MO low
Luc fairly low
RDW fairly low
MCHC 35.1 30-34 HIGH
Chloride high
sodium high
creaninine low

Make anything of these???? I was noticing a fluctuation in TSH? Im lost... and i have a goiter?? Havent gotten ultrasound yet though... These below this a previous results... and in 05 i had labs done and TSH was 0.394 0.465-4.68 and T4 12.5 5.53-11.0

5-23-08
T3 free 2.6 (pg/mL 2.0-3.5)
T4 Free 1.42 (ng/dL 0.93-1.70)
TSH 1.320 (mInt units/mL 0.270-4.200)

my Pt and PTT were low and my calcium was high

4-22-08
TSH .70 (.30-4.82 UIU/ml)
FT4 .67 (.59-1.17)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
(female)

ashfox2005 HB User
Re: **NEW LABS** Kinda confused??

Anyone have any suggestions?? Does it look like nothing? I mean i have all the symptoms... and doc keep saying the labs normal so im fine...im looking for new dr. one that will listen to me and my symptoms... PLEASE HELP thanks everyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Smile Re: **NEW LABS** Kinda confused??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashfox2005 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions?? Does it look like nothing? I mean i have all the symptoms... and doc keep saying the labs normal so im fine...im looking for new dr. one that will listen to me and my symptoms... PLEASE HELP thanks everyone
So sorry you're having the same problem I am, and so many others, for years. I'm an older person, used to a pretty high T4 dosage, was doing fine but had to find a network doctor when we went on Medicare. Editing to add that maybe I didn't lower my dosage enough to make a difference? 3/4 on Sunday of a 300 levothyroxine pill? I hadn't though 1/2 on Sundays would make much if any difference but apparently I'm more sensitive to changes than I thought. Dr. okayed 3/4, I felt so bad. Woke up from an afternoon nap unable to take my next breath, (apnea?) and other too-hypo symptoms.

It's worse when you're older, being asked to on Sundays use a fraction of a pill, and you can be sensitive to dosage changes, feel bad. Then after 3 mo. of that to get a new lab report with the very same TSH, as if they just sent a copy of the first test, and have the doctor and receptionist trust it rather than your symptoms.

I finally succeeded in getting copies of my foot xrays, which took 3 months of repeated trips there, so nothing's hopeless?

Also found while searching for something else that Graves is an autoimmune disease, as Hashi's is, but can't find why an elderly person might get it, a PDF case history, and my own symptoms are all hypo, including slight swelling since cutting dosage, but ignored in favor of lab reports I know are wrong. Could be either accidental, twice, or, I hate to think it but maybe so that more colleages can make money on you?

I'll leave it to others to interpret your report. Good luck.

Last edited by Eagle; 08-29-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You have very odd labs. There's 'something' going on with your thyroid, but I don't have the talent to say exactly what.

The biggest red flag is the TPO antibodies. They aren't exactly positive, but they aren't negative either. The fact that your other levels are all over the map tells me that those antibodies may be up to no good.

Your May 08 labs look ok, except that your FT3 is sort of low. This can be a problem in itself, but not always.
But your April FT4 is ragingly hypothyroid. Together with a low FT3, that will create all sorts of symptoms. But a doctor who worships TSH and waits for it to soar doesn't always recognize that low free Ts are what cause symptoms.

It isn't unusual for TSH to fluctuate that much; but FT4 almost never changes from one month to the next in an unmedicated person. This seals the deal IMO that your thyroid is going haywire.

The tests you had in August are outdated and not at all reliable to diagnose thyroid disease. I can't really interpret them because the error rate is high for total T4; and FT7 is almost useless.
(Did the same doctor order all these tests in each of these months? That would be surprising. It appears that you also went to different labs, given the varying ranges?)

My advice is to insist on the thyroid antibody tests - both TPO and Tg. Even though your TPO looks "normal", your Tg ABs might be sky high, which causes hypoT the same as sky-high TPOs. You'd be surprised at the number of docs who don't know that, so they don't run the test for them.

My advice is to pursue the thyroid angle. Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

ashfox2005 HB User

Midwest.. they were different doctors and diff labs.. beginning with Gp to Internal Med Dr to stupid endo... im looking for another dr.. and writing down all the tests recommended .. thanks a bunch to all.. and good luck to all those in my shoes too... Thanks Ashley

Old 08-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Would not converting enough T4 to T3 cause T4 to keep going up?

I'm afraid to have the thyroid Ultrasound for nodules because of the small amount of radiation, and found out by searching the web that Fine Needle Aspiration is THE way to diagnose nodules. The slight swelling seems to have gone down.

My D.O. who's just given up completely on thyroid and wants me to go to another Endo, evidently didn't even know to request free T3 on my latest test or the lab overlooked the need for it, may be making other errors too.

I suppose Medicare will continue paying for new tests to monitor the situation. I have an appointment with a woman Dr. the 11th, another D.O., may look for a woman M.D. in the meantime.

I'm also searching on my own for possible causes of conversion problems, which would be new, hope I don't have to go on any T3 meds. Liver is one possible answer.

I agreed to cut my medication, enough to make me feel bad but still got the exact same unusual TSH, decided I'm leaving them and evident game-playing behind.

Many of us don't like Endo's but I forget the main reason, to tell a hypo friend, egomania and their resenting our doing research? Is that all?

Last edited by Eagle; 08-29-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Closed Thread