It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
TSH too low?

Hi,
I just got back my labs and my thyroid profile came back as follows:
T3, Free 258
T4, Free 1.36
TSH 0.20 the normal at this lab starts at 0.40
Haven't seen my new primary yet but I also had a FBS of 127 and am wondering if my dose of levothyroxine needs to be lowered? I am hot a lot and also having trouble sleeping, but don't feel hyper. This is opposite last summer when my TSH was 69 and I was freezing cold all the time. So, does it matter if the TSH is lower than normal? Any input would be appreciated. I was also wondering if levo can cause prediabetes or high blood sugar readings??
Donna70

Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: TSH too low?

do you have the ranges for your t3 and t4? are they the frees?

your tsh is low and along with your symptoms sounds like maybe you could use a med decrease but i'd feel better first knowing those ranges.

i'm not sure about your sugar question.

Last edited by scoot; 08-29-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

Hi Scoot,
thanks for your reply, they were the Free T3 and T4, with the ranges
being T3 230-420 with mine being 258 and the T4 range being 0.8-1.8 and mine was 1.36.
thanks again!
Donna70

Old 08-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Smile Re: TSH too low?

Is your thermostat at 72 in summer? We keep ours at 75 all summer and sometimes I'm cold, also taking levothyroxine, and long-term diabetic.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #5
(female)

Hi Eagle,
thanks for your reply, my problem is I am too hot. We keep our thermostat on 77 and that used to be comfortable for me, now I have it turned down to 75 and break out in sweats a lot and it isn't menopause, I had a hysterectomy 30 yrs ago. I just got elevated blood sugars never had a problem till now. Hoping someone would know about the TSH going below normal. thanks again,
Donna70

Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Sudden Elevated Sugar and Sweating

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna70 View Post
Hi Eagle,
thanks for your reply, my problem is I am too hot. We keep our thermostat on 77 and that used to be comfortable for me, now I have it turned down to 75 and break out in sweats a lot and it isn't menopause, I had a hysterectomy 30 yrs ago.

I just got elevated blood sugars never had a problem till now. Hoping someone would know about the TSH going below normal. thanks again, Donna70
Could high blood sugars be causing your sweating?

Searching online using those keywords might quickly and easily tell you? Have you just been tested for the FIRST time? Not dx'd as diabetic yet? You haven't been eating more sweets lately for ENERGY?

I'm obviously no authority, just comparing notes hoping to mutually benefit each other by finding the right questions to research. I'm long-term diabetic and hypo and know how these questions can worry us, spoil a holiday weekend.

So your thermostat is even higher than mine! At 77 when the temp is in the 90's outdoors. That sounds really really hypo, doesn't it? Do you feel any swelling near your thyroid, which is under your adamsapple? Did your doctor feel for possible nodules? The thyroid Ultrasound requires some radioactive tracer substance, I've found out lately, but fine needle aspiration is a way to diagnose nodules, find out if they're benign. Other kinds of Ultrasound tests, for other parts of the body, don't require anything radioactive or drinking anything.

Maybe we can find out together what would cause a sudden bizarre difference in our usual TSH, besides obviously possible ineptness in the Lab people and/or Dr ofc people.

I think I already said but maybe it bears repeating, a new Dr. and new Lab gave me a result so different from my through-the-years TSH that I strongly suspected from the first it was an error, and sure enough, having reduced my T4 dosage by a quarter of a pill on Sundays only, which has worsened my hypo symptoms but which I may be getting used-to, gained 2 lbs for one thing, for 3 months (!) the next test came back the very same unusual figure, when obviously there should have been quite a difference.

You need the Free's, we may have already discussed but no harm in reminding, both Free T4 and Free T3. Did they give you both figures?
As I may have already said, I may not be converting enough T3, if their not including that was deliberate, which I doubt. Anyway, you'd probably feel better having something to search online this weekend. Hope it helps. I may need to look it up too, though I'm mostly cold, and any moisture, even underarm, seems to be rare.

I found, besides Hashimoto's, seventeen other possible causes of low TSH, which should interest doctors, I'd think, but apparently doesn't. Both Hashi's and Graves are autoimmune disorders, and I've found by my own searching that undermedicating causes debilitating harm, can allow these (both?) to develop. When doctors admit they didn't study thyroid more than about 10 min in med school, they seem to always want to learn by experimenting on us, lowering our doses, right? There used to be myths that overmedicating causes heart attacks and osteoporosis, disproven, I guess, can't be documented anywhere, and yesterday I came across an old printout specifically about osteoporosis, that thyroid medication does NOT cause or aggravate it. Again I don't think I'm allowed to give a link.

Dr. Lowe online says flat out "Educate your doctor", but they're going to usually resent that, right? Even endo's don't seem to update their ancient education. A guy thing or is it women too?

Editing to add, I just did a keyword search about the first question above, blood sugar causing sweating, and the answer is yes!

Last edited by Eagle; 08-31-2008 at 02:47 AM.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
(female)

Hi,
I have had normal blood sugars before and this is the first time it was over the border just by one point into diabetes. I just did a glucose tolerance test and will see the internist on Thursday and she is an endocrinologist too so maybe she will have the answer. I have RA also and have Hashi's. My TSH has been going down but I was hoping someone on this board would know whether it matters or not. If you look at my second post I did give the free T3 and T4. they look normal. I thank you for your input and will let you know what the dr says. This board helped me so much last year when my former primary told me to get plastic surgery when I was complaining of a puffy face etc without even looking at me. That is how I got help from this board telling me I probably had Hashi's and my rheumy did the bloodwork. take care and good luck with your health issues.
Donna70

Old 08-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Donna, since you are in treatment for hypoT and your FTs are not excessive, you shouldn't worry at all about the low TSH. My TSH has never been higher than .02 in over 3 years, but my FTs are about 40% and 70% of their ranges... not hyper in any way. Treatment can have the effect of inappropriately lowering TSH; but since TSH is not the direct measure of hypoT anyway, it doesn't matter.

Your med would have no effect on your blood sugar, but a dose that is less than optimal surely could. It's hard to tell you how your FTs stack up unless you can provide the lab's reference range for each. But according to the most common ranges, your FT3 would be low and your FT4 would be adequate for most people - but still, neither of them may be optimal for you as an individual. One thing I can definitely say is that you are NOT hyper.

Closed Thread